RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2017, 07:02 AM   #1

Emergency brake???

We recently purchased a 2006 Ventana diesel pusher. Does this coach have an emergency brake? If so, how is the emergency brake set and then released?

Thanks

bruce133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2017, 07:24 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a 2016 Ventana and the only brake I have other than the foot brake is the Yellow pull handle brake. This is the parking brake/emergency as far as I know.

Old 06-11-2017, 07:33 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce133 View Post
We recently purchased a 2006 Ventana diesel pusher. Does this coach have an emergency brake? If so, how is the emergency brake set and then released?

Thanks

No emergency brake as such. In short, when you pull the yellow knob, the brakes are set until you push it in.

Don
Old 06-11-2017, 07:38 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang37 View Post
I have a 2016 Ventana and the only brake I have other than the foot brake is the Yellow pull handle brake. This is the parking brake/emergency as far as I know.
When I push in the yellow parking brake, it doesn't seem to release. Any thoughts on what I can do to get the parking brake to release?
Old 06-11-2017, 07:39 AM   #5

Quote:

Thanks

I'm sure you are familiar with the parking brake knob at the driver's seat. Do you have a specific concern which makes you feel that something else is needed?
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 07:44 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Emergency brake???

Quote:
When I push in the yellow parking brake, it doesn't seem to release. Any thoughts on what I can do to get the parking brake to release?

The parking brake on an air brake system will only release when sufficient air pressure is present in the system. The parking brake is actually a large spring on each rear brake that holds the brake. This serves two purposes, first is the parking brake and second as an emergency brake if your air system fails the brakes will activate automatically on the rear. The spring brake is released when the knob is activated and an air piston pushes the spring back, so if no air is present the spring will then return and activate the brake.
Old 06-11-2017, 07:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
I'm sure you are familiar with the parking brake knob at the driver's seat. Do you have a specific concern which makes you feel that something else is needed?
When I start the coach with the air dumped, the air pressure gauges move to above 100 lbs. of pressure. However, the coach does not raise. I push in the parking brake and when I start to drive forward it jerks hard like the brakes are still engaged.
Old 06-11-2017, 08:26 AM   #8

Quote:
When I start the coach with the air dumped, the air pressure gauges move to above 100 lbs. of pressure. However, the coach does not raise. I push in the parking brake and when I start to drive forward it jerks hard like the brakes are still engaged.

Try this:

You should be parked on reasonably level ground with the tires chocked.
1. Start the coach & let the air build until you hear the air dryer pop off. At that point you will have max pressure in your air system. Your air gauges should indicate above 100 psi on both tanks. Most chassis builders have the air governor set to around 120psi.

2. Push down on the brake knob. There should be firm resistance and you should hear some "air" sounds. This indicates the heavy springs in the brake chamber have released. As a check, pull up on the knob and you should hear the explosive release of air which sets the springs in the brake chamber. If this happens then the air part of the brake system appears to be functional.

3. Place your foot on the service brake and have someone remove the chocks. Put the transmission in drive and push down the brake knob. Ease your foot off the service brake. You should feel the coach move slightly as the slack in the drive train is taken up.

4. At this point if it still feels like the brake is applied, the brake shoes/pads may be frozen to the drum/rotor. If the coach has been parked for a few days or longer, particularly in humid conditions, it's not unusual for this to happen.

5. Gently apply some throttle. Be prepared to quickly apply the service brake because it may lurch forward when the brakes free up. The brakes may be somewhat noisy for a few brake applications until the surface rust is cleaned off.

If the above doesn't work, then it's time for professional help.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 08:55 AM   #9

Quote:

Thanks
Not trying to be a jerk here, but maybe you should take a basic course on how airbrake systems work, what air pressures your system needs to operate, and which button to pull/push to set/release the system. Your system should build pressure to around 125 / 130 psi. If you are only getting 100 psi, it needs attention.
Spring brakes ( Parking brakes ) should release automatically when system airs up. If they are sticking at 100 psi, something is wrong here as well.
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 10:06 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Is the knob staying in when pressed? I had a brake can fail last year spring brake diaphragm failed and leaked. Parking brake would not release.
Old 06-11-2017, 10:49 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome Bruce to the forum and Irv2.
Here is a link to all TSB's for your coach plus brouchure and owners guide and much more.
All the links below in my signature have links to more info for your Newmar.
Good info in previous posts.
Here is some links to braking information.
SAVE the link for future Newmar information.
Enjoy the forum and safe travels.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 10:58 AM   #12

Quote:
Bruce, is the power button on to your jacks? My coach will build pressure but won't air up the suspension if the power button to the jacks is on, make sure the power is off. There should be no red light next to the word power on the jack pad.
Old 06-12-2017, 08:14 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by britcon View Post
Not trying to be a jerk here, but maybe you should take a basic course on how airbrake systems work, what air pressures your system needs to operate, and which button to pull/push to set/release the system. Your system should build pressure to around 125 / 130 psi. If you are only getting 100 psi, it needs attention.

Spring brakes ( Parking brakes ) should release automatically when system airs up. If they are sticking at 100 psi, something is wrong here as well.
HUH???
Not very good advice or description...
Parking Brakes DO NOT release automatically when system airs up...
That would be an accident waiting to happen. They should release when you release them manually - after airing up.
Maybe that's what you meant - let's be clear w/ folks having difficulty & new to air brakes.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 08:31 AM   #14

Quote:

Are the brake linings worn Out?????? If so the S cams can be close to rolling over and will stay engaged. The way to fix is to disassemble and install new linings. Also check for proper lube for the S cam may just need to be serviced.

1doodadd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake