Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2017, 05:06 AM   #1

Emergency Closure of Slides?

After reading the discussion about slide operation I have concerns on what do after a line of storms came through here yesterday.

How would I close the slides fast in case of an emergency (storms/winds) as fast as possible? I am especially concerned about the FWS with the long slide topper which in my case will be facing West where most of the storms/winds come from.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2017, 05:34 AM   #2

Be proactive, monitor weather conditions, and close up the slides before any threat approaches. Yes, it may be a pain, but you will be relieved when you have minimal damage, or even if you close them and no bad weather hits. I to worry about the FWS slide topper, I have seen it balloon already, so I put straps on the ends of the roller tube. Later I realized I should have simply closed the slide, lucky it was not that bad and no damage. Hope this helps.
dhlairbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 05:41 AM   #3

Well, I'm not sure about how to be fast with slides, but your post is a good reminder to keep areas clear just in case we do have to retract fast! So Thank You
Old 04-04-2017, 10:13 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Smart Phone APP "Radar Scope Pro"... Best weather APP out there and YES, to be really effective you need to purchase the "Pro" within the APP! Provides lightning, hail and storm cells with "track and arrival times"! Another excellent APP is MyRadar Pro. I use MyRadar Pro for a "national look" at the weather and Radar Scope for local and specific tracks on my immediate location. It also sends me warnings based on my locations...
Old 04-04-2017, 10:17 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I don't believe you can change the rate at which the slides close, so closing them 'fast' is simply not an option.
You'll need to anticipate the need to close them by keeping an eye on the weather and try to close them before you wish there was a fast way to do it.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:22 AM   #6

I am a firm believer of being prepared. But there may be a reason to bring them in as fast as possible. I would still like to know the steps for bringing in the FWS.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:28 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
The actual steps for bringing in the FWS will vary by manufacturer, and possibly by model within a manufacturer's line.
I'd suggest you download the manual for the Ventana and see what they have to say about slide operation (besides, it'll be fun to read the manual on your new RV while you're waiting for it to be ready).
Old 04-04-2017, 01:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
The actual steps for bringing in the FWS will vary by manufacturer, and possibly by model within a manufacturer's line.
I'd suggest you download the manual for the Ventana and see what they have to say about slide operation (besides, it'll be fun to read the manual on your new RV while you're waiting for it to be ready).
I did download the manual, but it only refers to the electric slides. I don't know for sure, but isn't the FWS hydraulic?
Old 04-04-2017, 01:11 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
How would I close the slides fast in case of an emergency (storms/winds) as fast as possible? I am especially concerned about the FWS with the long slide topper which in my case will be facing West where most of the storms/winds come from.
My suggestion - after reading your manual - practice. When there is a probability of bad weather in the near future...
  1. Clear the floor (pathway) for the slide to travel freely.
  2. Pre-position the floor roller protectors so that you don't have to position them properly under pressure. (If you must - go ahead an pull the slides in without the protectors and take the slight risk of a floor scratch.)
  3. When you think the time is right - push the button. It really doesn't take all that long.

I live in a windy part of the country and have not yet had a crisis in which I had to suddenly do an emergency slide-in. Watching the forecast and the clouds, I can usually be proactive enough not to get into trouble on this issue. (I've had plenty of other issues and missteps over the years. ) There have been times when I've had to pull off the road due to high winds while driving.
Bushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 04:59 PM   #10

If You are concerned about the reveal,assuming the emergency would not allow time to air up the suspension, I would suggest closing the full wall slide only until it is within 3 to 5 inches from flush until the emergency passes. This is of course assuming there is no need to move the coach.
Old 04-04-2017, 06:36 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Read this thread and allow like everyone has said before you need to rush because the slides will move slow like they always have by design.
If you do not allow the time this could be the result.
I think I toll you your PDI will cover the correct operation of your slide systems.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 06:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I did download the manual, but it only refers to the electric slides. I don't know for sure, but isn't the FWS hydraulic?

No, on your VLE it electric.
Bill Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 07:03 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've never heard of a multi speed slide so I'm watching this thread to learn about them.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:06 PM   #14

We were in a situation last weekend where we knew a storm was coming before we arrived at the campsite. Instead of deploying the FWS on air, I put the jacks down first and checked the reveal. The reveal was good so I put the slide out on the jacks. This enabled us to retract the slide on jacks instead of having to air up if needed. We got lucky and the storm wasn't too bad but that was my plan.

Tags
slide