Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2021, 07:47 AM   #1

Emergency Entrance

Yesterday it was very windy at home base, and in the process of loading the RV for a family Thanksgiving, the entrance door slammed shut very hard. Immediately became a challenge to open the door from the outside even though you could hear the latch release. Now after a freezing night, the entrance door is stuck shut solid. You can hear the latch release if you listen hard but it will only move maybe an 1/8 of inch out. So we are stuck here with a loaded RV, heat running from last night, and locked out.

Is there any kind of emergency release on the door for such situations, or any suggested approach to save our day. Help, please.
PeteDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2021, 08:03 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Let me refer you to a recent thread on a similar issue. I hope your solution turns out to be as simple as this one.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/fro...in-560517.html
Old 11-24-2021, 08:06 AM   #3

Bummer!
You can also try giving Newmar a call.
Old 11-24-2021, 05:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
Let me refer you to a recent thread on a similar issue. I hope your solution turns out to be as simple as this one.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/fro...in-560517.html
Howdy, so I am Winddancer. Our issue was a frustrating and scary event. It was simple in the end, but man it was frustrating and stressful while happening. I talked to many people who just kept saying lean on or push in on it. In the end it was me pounding with an open hand on it to free things up. May or may not be your same problem.
I am currently in the process of wiring a secure hidden switch to open my window along with a telescope ladder to be able to get inside. You might want to think about how to deal with this based on your own experience. Keep us posted.
lrwinddancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 08:55 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We’ve had the door slam on us and it slightly moved the deadbolt enough to engage. I always try to have the keys in my pocket.

I added the window switch and an alternate way to open all the bay doors from outside.

Now if I get locked out the only issue is getting my above average sized self thru the window!
Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 12:37 PM   #6
jrs

We bought a magnetic key storage box and store an extra set of keys in the generator bay area
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 04:42 PM   #7

Update, still locked out, but problem is identified, the dead bolt moved just enough when the door slammed to engage and that is my problem, without a known solution. I have the keys and both tumblers turn in their normal arches. The drivers side slide window is locked on the inside. As of now I see no non-destructive way to overcome the problem. I would rather destroy and replace the lock than break glass. We have the bigger escape door behind the master head but see nothing that can be done there.

Thus an idea on how to get the dead bolt back into the door a little will save my day. Any success stories or ideas will be most appreciated. I will also call Newmar in the morning to see if they have a solution, and the availability of a replacement lock. Then most likely my local Locksmith. Everything we thought we needed to live a normal life is on the coach and unavailable, from food to clothing to laptop. But, there is some really good news, both of us take a couple of prescriptions daily, and they were in our last load bag when we discovered the problem prior to loading
Old 11-28-2021, 05:27 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
One thing I was surprised to learn about my deadbolt is it isn’t as robust as one may think. My beautiful half was trying to close the door and the deadbolt somehow got into the locked position. Broke off like a matchstick. I don’t know if your ‘19 is the same or not.

Best of luck, and thanks for the update.
Old 11-28-2021, 05:39 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Try a rubber mallet and a large horse-shoe magnet to draw the bolt back toward the cylinder as you lightly tap the door edge.
Old 11-28-2021, 06:35 PM   #10

lrwinddancer

How about another update to convince everyone I am lost in the woods. I went back to another slightly older post by "lrwinddancer" on his stuck door and have changed my mind about the most likely cause. Lrwinddance discovered that a screen hook was the cause of his problem.

Tonight I went out and tried again with no luck to open the door. Noticed something unusual about the behavior of the lock. The door is tighter than ever against the door jam and gasket. Seem that all my pushing against the door has allowed the problem to worsen. In the beginning when I used the handle to try opening, the door opened about an eighth of an inch, just like it has in the past when the dead bolt was still on. Opening the dead bolt tumbler did not change this behavior. But with all my heavy pushing, the door is tight against the jam with no movement at all with the handle. Thus, my conclusion is not a dead bolt problem. It sound exactly like the hook Lrwinddancer encountered. Now for my confession, that very hook was not holding for me, so I took a file to the face of the hook and flattened it a very slight amount. Obviously not helping this situation.

So, ideas on how to attack this screen hook. One positive is the black interior door liner vinyl on eighth inch plywood, has the peeling problem, and I have a new one still in the box, thus damage to this panel is not a concern.

Once again, ideas and suggestions would be most appreciated. Sounding more and more a breaking of the drivers side slide window. Any advice on how to release the latch on this slider from the outside would be appreciated. Any chance a thin metal rule slid between the window and the wiper on the fixed glass would be helpful?

Thanks Again
Old 11-29-2021, 08:45 AM   #11

How about using one of coach windows. Most of the locks are not that robust.

Even if you have to break one to get in, replacing the glass will be relatively simple.
bentjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 09:40 AM   #12

If it were me, I would drill the lock before I break the glass. Easy to replace the lock with three torx screws holding it in place.
Good luck
Old 11-29-2021, 10:57 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
I would also be focusing more on the door latch/lock than breaking glass.

PTL doors have a two-stage latching mechanism. Based on your description, it sounds like it was in the first stage position and you put it into the second stage with your pushing.

I’m interested in hearing what Newmar has to say about it, but I’d have a locksmith on speed dial before breaking glass.
Old 11-30-2021, 07:53 AM   #14

Looking forward to later today when the temperature is forecast to zoom from the current 27 degrees to around 60. Thanks to Winddancer I have info on the three drill locations that are involved.

I did talk to Newmar Customer Service, and they claim they do not know anything about drill out points on locks, never had a previous request for anything close to this, and if they did have such info they probably would not give it to me for fear I would mess up the door. Since they were hiding behind lack of knowledge, I told them I would not debate my right to such info with them. A total waste of 45 minutes hold time and 10 more when a human got on the line. My conclusion, if you do not have a part number, or they can not determine one with your description, you are out of luck. It is strictly a parts swapping operation.

Also discussed a replacement sliding window pane if I went down the breaking window path. It is tempered glass. Their answer was the window pane is not available separately, you have to buy the entire driver's side 4 panel frame and glass assembly. Another vote for lock drilling.

Will follow up after some progress, or lack there of. Should be no later than week's end, based on weather and other life events. Has the fun started yet???