Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2020, 05:57 PM   #15
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny-shawna View Post
It would most likely be faster and safer to open the window than take the time to break it. I had an rv fire and it burns pretty quick but we had plenty of time to get out. I even attempted to put the fire out with fire extinguishers but they were too small.
Doubtful. I used to be a firefighter and became an expert at taking windows, doors, walls, you name it, out.

I keep one of these in the bedroom nightstand as well as at each front seat. Hit the window in the corner and tempered glass just goes away. No need to prop it open with sticks or anything else.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ray
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2020, 06:22 PM   #16

Caution

Just something to think about... I bought a new rv and apparently the emergency window push out latch was not hooked on the bottom of the window when I went on my maiden voyage. Why the assumption? The emergency window was gone when I got to my first stop... so at 65 mph the window took off. To top it off they don’t sell just the bottom of the window! With shipping this was about a $400 lesson! I now bungee the latch handle!
jr2194 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 08:18 AM   #17

There is no way I am going to get my 6'4" 265lb body safely out that emergency exit window, in our Bay Star. Too small. Too high. Even if I managed to make it out, I'm sure the fall would do serious damage. With two people to exit, egress would take too long. Person #1 may make it out, but I doubt person #2 would make it out before being overcome. However, on our Bay Star, there is this nice big back window, and while the window isn't designed to open, the pointed hammer, and 265lbs hitting it should do the job. Add to that, the ladder to the roof is right next to the window, so it can act as a hand hold to get down.

Our plan is simple.

close pocket door
break window
wife exits
hand her the dog
get out myself

I just don't have any idea how much time you actually have. Would I have time to get the keys to the car, wallet, pants? I hope we never find out.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 04:11 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPoland View Post

Our plan is simple.

close pocket door
break window
wife exits
hand her the dog
get out myself

I just don't have any idea how much time you actually have. Would I have time to get the keys to the car, wallet, pants? I hope we never find out.
That's why we and many RVers keep a 'bug out bag' with important papers, some cash, checkbook, etc. At night the bag goes in the bedroom - easy to grab. (slip your keys, wallet into it) During the day it's behind the passenger seat - easy to grab. We also take it with us when we take the MH in for maintenance, etc. It becomes so automatic that you don't have to think about doing it.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 05:40 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Doubtful. I used to be a firefighter and became an expert at taking windows, doors, walls, you name it, out.

I keep one of these in the bedroom nightstand as well as at each front seat. Hit the window in the corner and tempered glass just goes away. No need to prop it open with sticks or anything else.

Ray

We used a spring loaded center punch in our department. Takes up less room.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 06:45 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
I have one of those. Hope I find it before I need it.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 11:43 PM   #21
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
Same here but the situation is different. A center punch in a turnout coat pocket is easy to find, especially when you’re on the outside looking in. One in a motor home may not be so accessible. I mainly wanted the seatbelt cutter so there’s one at each belted seat. I had one left over (it was a four-pack) and I knew where to put it, in the nightstand.

Ray
NXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 07:02 AM   #22

Quote:

Ray
Clearly I am not about to argue with an expert but do you think the average person can break a window and clear the glass shards away more quickly and safely than simply opening the window?

I understand what you are saying but the escape window we have is a handle, just lift and push the window open. The screen can be pushed or pulled out and then jump. Of course the later is the problem.

With that said, the rv fire I had did total the rig but didn’t ignite and spread faster than I was able to walk out then door. I had two small fire extinguishers on hand, had they been larger I would have been able to put the fire out.

Hope there isn’t a repeat of that again.
Old 01-18-2020, 10:47 PM   #23
NXR

Quote:
Clearly I am not about to argue with an expert but do you think the average person can break a window and clear the glass shards away more quickly and safely than simply opening the window?
Good point. I assumed that since all automotive glass is tempered and since my frameless windows are tempered that all RV windows are tempered glass. Does anyone know for sure?

Striking tempered glass sharply with a pointed object in a corner turns it into little glass chunks so there are no shards. (Windshields are laminated so they don’t disintegrate like that.)

My escape window is hinged at the top and it’s actually fairly heavy to lift up and of course has no strut or mechanism to keep it up.One rap with that hammer and most of the pieces should just fall to the ground. I guess that is one advantage of frameless windows because there sure aren’t many advantages.

Ray
Old 01-19-2020, 05:55 PM   #24

Quote:
Good point. I assumed that since all automotive glass is tempered and since my frameless windows are tempered that all RV windows are tempered glass. Does anyone know for sure?

Striking tempered glass sharply with a pointed object in a corner turns it into little glass chunks so there are no shards. (Windshields are laminated so they don’t disintegrate like that.)

My escape window is hinged at the top and it’s actually fairly heavy to lift up and of course has no strut or mechanism to keep it up.One rap with that hammer and most of the pieces should just fall to the ground. I guess that is one advantage of frameless windows because there sure aren’t many advantages.

Ray
I guess if they are all tempered it would make it easier. I do not think I would like frameless windows as I don’t think they open.
Old 01-19-2020, 11:55 PM   #25
NXR

Quote:
I guess if they are all tempered it would make it easier. I do not think I would like frameless windows as I don’t think they open.
Join that non-exclusive club. They are hinged at the top and the bottom opens maybe a couple of inches. No breeze to speak of. Worthless except cleaning is easier.

Ray

Tags
wind, window