Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2013, 11:16 AM   #1

American Coach Owners Club
Emergency help

Ned emergency help. Pulled in to fuel, coach been running fine all day get fuel and try to restart and I get a low fuel warning and engine won't start. Also now steps won't work. Anyone that can help I appreciate it as I stuck at a fuel island in a tiny town.

Please give a call if you can help.

609-346-8871

2005 MADP 4304
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2013, 11:32 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When trying to start is the engine turning over? Have you tried to start using the emergency start button ( tying coach batteries to chassis batteries) ?

mike
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:41 AM   #3

Can you start your genny?

If jumping it works, your alternator has most likely gone bad. You can drive using the genny to charge the chassis batteries.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:25 PM   #4

Really sounds like a bad connection , power or ground, somewhere in the system . First place to check is chassis batteries , connections at the posts then grounds at the engine and frame.
Check battery voltage, too , if you have a bad connection, volts could be low.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:39 PM   #5

Engine turns over fine. Have drained fuel water separator. All good. Talked to spartan and we checked power at the ECM ing fuse and all good. They then simply said sorry, can't help you. Have been talking to good Sam roadside and they are trying to find either a mobile mec or a wrecker.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:54 PM   #6

Generator starts and runs fine.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:01 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds to me like your fuel pump crapped out or it lost its connection.

What engine do you have?

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:12 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrchips
Engine turns over fine. Have drained fuel water separator. All good. Talked to spartan and we checked power at the ECM ing fuse and all good. They then simply said sorry, can't help you. Have been talking to good Sam roadside and they are trying to find either a mobile mec or a wrecker.
Years ago my gasser did something similar, it turned out to be g switch that shuts the engine down in the event f an accident. I do not know if the Spartan or Freightliner have the same re-setable safety switch.

Mike
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:04 PM   #9

Well here we are currently. The mobile tech showed up and hooked up to the computer. There were no codes displayed. The fuel gage on the dash showed empty, the red light within the gage is lit indicating no fuel, the low fuel warning light is also lit.
So he pulls the intake hose and gives a squirt of either and she fires right up and runs just fine. He continues to monitor the computer and still no codes or apparent issues. We shut it down and it will not start. we either it again and it again fires right up and shows no codes. It also shows very good fuel pressure. So we shut it back down and he forces the fuel pump to run for 60 seconds via the computer (as a test) and then again for 45 seconds as a test and we hit the key and she fires right up.

His belief is that there is a starting fuel pump (or priming pump) at the tank that is powered from the fuel level sensor in some manner. Because the fuel level is reading empty it is not allowing the initial pump to push fuel to prime the system; however, when we spray the system it allows the engine to start which bypasses the prime pump and then runs on the engine fuel pump.

Anyway we got it started and I ran the final 100 miles to the house without issue. A couple times during that portion the fuel gage would read full and then drop back to empty, about 30 miles left and it moved to full (we had filled up at the stop it would not start up at) and stayed there the rest fo the way home. When I got home and parked I shut the coach down then turned the key back on, verified the fuel was still full by the gage, no warning lights on and fired it right up.

So apparantly I have either a bad fuel sensor, or a bad wire/connection. The problem is how the heck do you get to the tank to see where the senor and wire harness are and enter the tank?
Old 09-29-2013, 06:10 PM   #10

Question: Had you been driving on wet roads prior to this problem ?

Did the step problem go away too. Could be a front end ground wire connection.

Also, not sure of all the options on newer Newmars, Cat or Cummins ?
ISM, ISX , C-11
Old 09-29-2013, 06:31 PM   #11

Yes the step issue was a momentary lack of situational awareness......we still had it in the lock out position from camping.....duh....

No roads were clear and dry, this is in an 05 400 Cummins.

My problem now is I can't see the tank, can't see the top of the tank and can't see any wires running to the tank.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:05 PM   #12

MOVED TO THE SPARTAN FORUM as it now appears ot be a spartan issue.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:10 PM   #13

FWIW, mine is a 2000 on Spartan MM. I have a round access cover in the basement behind the freezer. This cover is the access to the tank level sensor. It is the forward-most bay on the passenger side. The cover on mine is black plastic about 6" in diameter.

YMMV. Good luck.
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:25 PM   #14
KIX

Another FWIW Our '02 Spartan MM fuel level sensor is mounted near the front of the tank but on the side of the tank......not on top.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote