Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2019, 04:26 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Engine AC compressor problem

The other day after starting the engine (2015 Cummins 450 HP), I heard loud clicks coming from the engine compartment. Opened the hood and observed the AC compressor clicks and turns about 1/8 turn about two times a second. Looks like the clutch engages momentarily and lets go?
Wander if someone had to del with something like that before?
Hate to think I have to start looking for a place to fix it. Have replaced completely car AC systems in my past, but this one is a different (big) animal[emoji33]
Buly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2019, 04:40 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Spartan Chassis
First thing come to mind is low refrigerant. Just barely enough pressure in low side to activate the switch and as the compressor starts to turn draws down the pressure the low switch releases and turns off compressor until refrigerant from high side bleed to low side the compressor cycles again.
Old 04-14-2019, 05:03 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DENSHER View Post
First thing come to mind is low refrigerant. Just barely enough pressure in low side to activate the switch and as the compressor starts to turn draws down the pressure the low switch releases and turns off compressor until refrigerant from high side bleed to low side the compressor cycles again.

Thanks for your reply. I thought about it, but can not see a window like the cars have to observe the refrigerant. Most likely technician will have to connect his gauges?
Old 04-14-2019, 05:45 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Buly,
Best I know there is no sight glass. The connections for gas might be in the front of the coach on the passenger side. Open the hood and look. That is where my connections are located.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 05:47 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Spartan Chassis
Many R134a systems do not use a view window. A quick way to test if you do not have a gauge system is to unplug the low pressure switch and connect the two wires in the harness together, paper clip works great for this, then start engine and turn on the A/C if compressor clutch engages and stays on system pressure is low. Or switch is faulty but with yours quick cycling I would say system pressure.

If compressor clutch still cycles with low pressure switch by-passed then there is problem in clutch or relay to it.
Old 04-14-2019, 05:48 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi Buly,
Best I know there is no sight glass. The connections for gas might be in the front of the coach on the passenger side. Open the hood and look. That is where my connections are located.

Thanks Gary. Will take a look in the am.
Old 04-15-2019, 02:25 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Buly,
Walmart sells a kit that includes the gas and gages. The guage has a fool proof face. Put in enough gas to have the gage needle go into the green area. You will, most likely, need more gas than comes with the kit due to the size of the system.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 02:37 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi Buly,
Walmart sells a kit that includes the gas and gages. The guage has a fool proof face. Put in enough gas to have the gage needle go into the green area. You will, most likely, need more gas than comes with the kit due to the size of the system.

Thanks Gary. I will try it. We are at River Ranch RV Resort FL, and there is nothing close by. Going home tomorrow.
Old 04-15-2019, 02:43 PM   #9

Low freon is a good guess. If you jump the switch but still have the short engagement it might also be the AC clutch is well worn and the air gap is beyond it's spec. There is a measurement for the air gap of the clutch faces and most can be adjusted.

Show and tell: https://www.google.com/search?q=adju...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Old 04-28-2019, 02:28 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Related story: On Friday morning, my AC compressor failed and serpentine belt broke. Same motor -- 2015 ISL 450. Thankfully it happened after starting coach in campsite after overnight in CG and not on the road (headed north to Freightliner and Newmar for spring service appointments).

We just stopped the coach, did not move from the site we had, put slides out again and found the patience needed to diagnose the problem and get Coach Net involved.

RV tech dispatched from Coach Net was here late Friday afternoon and ordered new compressor (old one could not be saved). So ... stuck in northern Florida until new compressor and belt able to be installed tomorrow.

I have often marveled at how wonderful our coaches operate despite their incredible complexity and their many, many moving parts and pieces. It is unrealistic not to understand that this sort of thing will happen occasionally.

This is really the only significant hiccup I have had since delivery of my coach in June 2015 so I am grateful and thankful. This limited inconvenience I can tolerate without problem. Just need to be to Newmar by Wednesday for service on Thursday. If all goes well tomorrow, that will not be a problem. Fingers crossed.

Deek
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
2023 Winnebago View 24D Bay Mist II
What a Hoot!
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compressor, engine, problem