Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2021, 01:47 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Engine Access Hatch not quite ready to open

In the past I read on the forum that you should also perform periodic care of the rubber seal around the engine access. I hadn’t gotten around to it quite yet.

But then along comes the fuel rail problem and I figured I wanted to make sure I was leak free, and the hatch opened smoothly for the mechanic doing the repair once they identify the fix (my understanding is right now it’s an inspection not a fix).

So I removed the tile floor. Plastic putty knife will help with the little black caps on the floor. A few obvious bolts hold the tile floor down. Make sure you have a good spot close by to set the floor down, it is heavy, awkward and will scratch if you don’t put something to protect the tile.

Then with the tile floor removed you will see a dense plastic hatch with 8 bolts holding it (at least on my rear radiator Ventana since the hatch is 2 hinged pieces). See picture one.

Now look close at the right side plywood strip. See the two bolts you need to remove? Well if you can see all the bolts you are done. But in my case picture 2 is a close up of how they covered the bolts. I don’t know what the roadside repairman or tired mechanic would do here but I’m glad I found this at home where I could make it usable without destroying the strip or having to figure out (and buy) whatever they used to bond this together.

I grabbed an old well worn larger drill bit and drilled out the plywood above the bolts (takes a while to avoid the tile edge and bore out on the edge of the plywood). Then I used an old screwdriver that is no longer usable on screws as a chisel to remove the last bit of wood around the bolt heads.

Now my access hatch is usable by whoever needs to get in there. Again make sure you have somewhere tile-safe to store this cover.

While I was there I also shop vac’d up all the construction debris that I found under the tile floor. And I finally got around to the seal.

Picture 3 is what you will see with the hatch removed.

Bottom line I’m glad I took the time to look myself before a mechanic ever needed to do this.

- Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4058.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	442.7 KB
ID:	336659   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4059.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	384.8 KB
ID:	336660  

Name:	IMG_4061.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	553.7 KB
ID:	336661  
RandDescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2021, 05:34 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Someone wasn't paying attention during assembly at the factory, mine were all exposed, so not a common screw up.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 06:32 PM   #3

Is (or are) the fuel rail(s) in the picture? I have no idea what it looks like? I have an ISB Cummins, so it will likely not look exactly like yours.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 09:44 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by HavingABlast View Post
Is (or are) the fuel rail(s) in the picture? I have no idea what it looks like? I have an ISB Cummins, so it will likely not look exactly like yours.

If you look along the passenger side of the engine there are 6 bell shaped housings that attach the fuel lines from the rail to the block. The mechanic I spoke to indicated you need to check those connections and the ports at the rear of the block that are clearly visible in the picture DSD had on a thread about the fuel rail issue a few weeks back.

- Richard
Old 07-21-2021, 12:15 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The part circled in yellow are called banjo fittings. They connect the fuel line to the engine. If you have any that have seepage around them, you need to get it repaired.

Name:	20210603_171812.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	273.9 KB
ID:	336768
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 09:11 PM   #6

Thanks to both of you for helping me understand.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 02:52 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Thanks Richard,
You got me to look at mine before taking in for the fuel rail recall, and mine was similar....
After sitting down in my easy chair and looking at the pictures, I noticed that I missed one of the screws at the back corner... After I had cleaned up all the debris and sawdust. ...sigh:
I'll have a cup of coffee and then work on that one.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	D6815D29-D0A5-4292-AAC2-31281F3D3483.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	452.0 KB
ID:	339321   Click image for larger version

Name:	8C8FDC3D-065E-4996-B66C-8331111EAE42.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	382.4 KB
ID:	339324  

M&G Braking-Roadmaster Towbar
mbrooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 06:22 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrooking View Post
Thanks Richard,
You got me to look at mine before taking in for the fuel rail recall, and mine was similar....
After sitting down in my easy chair and looking at the pictures, I noticed that I missed one of the screws at the back corner... After I had cleaned up all the debris and sawdust. ...sigh:
I'll have a cup of coffee and then work on that one.

Glad this helped someone else.

Saw another poster in a different thread who kept his tile floor removed for the trip to get the recall so he didn’t have to worry about them damaging tiles. I will do that when I take mine.

- Richard
Old 08-13-2021, 06:54 AM   #9

HOW TO ACCESS AN INTERIOR REAR ENGINE COMPARTMENT

Provides instructions for accessing an interior rear engine compartment.

Aug 20, 2020•Knowledge Article
Contents
This article provides instructions for accessing an interior rear engine compartment on most coach floor plans.
Notice NOTICE
The rear engine compartment access cover and the associated fasteners may vary based on year, model, and floor plan.
1. To access the rear engine compartment, remove the wood panel. Most coach floor plans have a removable wood panel located at the bottom of the wardrobe or cabinet at the rear of the coach. This panel is typically fastened using clips or Velcro™. Some coaches may use wood buttons and screws.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/...l%20SNAGIT.jpg
2. Once the panel is removed, locate the mechanical fasteners and remove them accordingly. This may require a 3/8" nut driver bit and a screw gun/impact driver for quick removal. Some engine covers may fold down on a hinge once the screws are removed.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/...0%28271%29.jpg
3. On coaches with ceramic tile, locate and remove the plugs in the tile floor area in front of the removed panel.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/...-%20SNAGIT.png
4. On coaches with a vinyl strip around the engine cover, lift the inside lip of the vinyl strip to expose the screws around the inside perimeter of the vinyl edge cover.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/...0%2021ksdp.png
5. Coaches equipped with carpet instead of tile typically have fasteners buried in the carpet near the corners of the access cover.
6. Then remove the mechanical fasteners beneath the plugs, vinyl strip, or carpeting to access the engine compartment. Use a 3/8" nut driver bit, a #2 square head bit, or a Phillips head screw gun bit, depending on which fastener type is used in your coach.
7. The cover should then be able to be lifted from the access point. The cover may be dirty, so take the proper precautions in where it is placed during any inspection or service of the engine compartment to avoid any damage and/or soiling of the interior of the coach.
Title
How to Access an Interior Rear Engine Compartment
Article Total View Count
URL Name
How-to-Access-an-Interior-Rear-Engine-Compartment
Last Published Date
8/20/2020 9:39 AM
Summary
Briefly describe the article. The summary is used in search results to help users find relevant articles. You can improve the accuracy of search results by including phrases that your customers use to describe this issue or topic.
Provides instructions for accessing an interior rear engine compartment.
ThunderRidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 08:04 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandDescape View Post
Glad this helped someone else.

Saw another poster in a different thread who kept his tile floor removed for the trip to get the recall so he didn’t have to worry about them damaging tiles. I will do that when I take mine.

- Richard
Yea, I measured and our tile hatch fit under one side of the under bed storage. Kept me from having to carry it down the stairs.
mbrooking is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine