Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2020, 03:47 PM   #1

Engine air filter 2017 Ventana Le 4037

Need to change the air filter on the engine. I understand it can be a real pain. How do you get access and the correct procedures?
Robert T is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2020, 03:54 PM   #2

Might be good to post a picture. The rubber boots on mine is what took time, do the distant connection first and use some light spray lube on the outer portion that will receive the boot (avoid getting the spray in the interior of then assembled air system). You may need a 2x4 for leverage. Probably only needs to be changed every 4 years but you will find variation on this, the air minder is a better indicator than age is what I read.
Breezy2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 08:37 PM   #3

I used a very small flat pry bar to first loosen the clamps from the hoses then loosen the hoses from the air cleaner. Once you break it loose all the way around it is easy to remove.
nomad bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 09:15 AM   #4

Air Cleaner

Thank you for the information but how does one gain access to the filter? My old coach access was thru a rear baggage door. I have seen a video of another model coach a Forest River push and the guy had to remove the bed with the frame just to get access to the filter! Will never buy that coach. Hopefully, Newmar gave consideration to servicing the coach.
Old 11-23-2020, 10:02 PM   #5

On mine it is under coach on drivers side outboard from engine with plenty of room to work. I raised it with leveling jacks with HD jack stands for safety. It took about 20 minutes.
nomad bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 10:07 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad bull View Post
On mine it is under coach on drivers side outboard from engine with plenty of room to work. I raised it with leveling jacks with HD jack stands for safety. It took about 20 minutes.
same with mine
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 06:28 AM   #7

Lots of room to work and its not all that difficult.
Be sure to be meticulous with cleanliness as anything on the downside of the filter will end up in the engine.
If dirty on outside of connections clean them up before disconnecting. Wipe all accessible inside surfaces down to make sure no dust or dirt present.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 07:46 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert T View Post
Need to change the air filter on the engine. I understand it can be a real pain. How do you get access and the correct procedures?
Just out of curiosity Robert, how many miles on the coach? I’m at 22k and close to replacing, but the suck-o-meter says it’s fine. I just want a fresh one in there. Is that where you’re at or do you put on a lot of miles?
Old 11-24-2020, 07:49 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
Lots of room to work and its not all that difficult.
Be sure to be meticulous with cleanliness as anything on the downside of the filter will end up in the engine.
If dirty on outside of connections clean them up before disconnecting. Wipe all accessible inside surfaces down to make sure no dust or dirt present.
x2 on that and use a shop vac to clean all loose dust out of the housing, then wipe it down - the old saying was, “A teaspoon of dirt can cripple a diesel”, so as Winemaker says, be meticulous.
Old 11-24-2020, 08:27 AM   #10

My coach has 16,000 miles the meter shows the filter is still good. I just do not trust the meter. My last coach had the same meter and showed still good. Removed the filter and it was full of dirt.

My last trip last winter I was on several roads that has lots of sand on them in Texas.
Old 11-24-2020, 09:28 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
I also have a 2017 with 29,000 miles on it and my air cleaner meter is shows about 2/3 so we are having changed during this years service.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 04:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert T View Post
My coach has 16,000 miles the meter shows the filter is still good. I just do not trust the meter. My last coach had the same meter and showed still good. Removed the filter and it was full of dirt.

My last trip last winter I was on several roads that has lots of sand on them in Texas.
Agree its not only gauge reading.
Mine was used when we bought it and was original. Only 20,000+ miles but about 5 yrs so wanted to be sure. Looked good and no evidence ow any moisture.
Now I know and comfortable...sleep well
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, air filter, engine, vent, ventana