Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2012, 06:26 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Engine Coolant Filter???

Was talking with a friend the other day [April fools day] about changing out all my Filters this year, engine, trans, gennie, air and he wanted to know if I had a Engine Coolant Filter on my 05 KSDP Cummins 330 Engine.
Answer: I do not have any IDEA. Is there such a filter?

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2012, 09:32 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Our Cummins ISL 370 has an engine coolant filter mounted to the block of the engine. It has bypass shut offs for a change without draining the coolant.
The shut offs are now froze open so the filter can only be changed at coolant changes or if the coolant needs to be drained for any other repair.
SteveR161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:23 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
If you have a filter one must test the coolant and then that will tell you if you need a filter w/additive or without. fleetguard makes test strips to do the test. (check e-bay) you also depending on the test results need to add a bottle of conditioner. hope this helps you out..
Old 04-08-2012, 10:40 AM   #4

The water filter, which looks like a spin on oil filter, etc. contains something called supplimental coolant additive (SCA for short). Test your coolant as "palehorse89" suggests and if it needs SCA you can buy the fluid from Cummins / Fleetguard in plastic bottles. There is a valve near the base of the water filter (up in the dark / dirt and hard to see) that with a half turn shuts off the filter so it can be changed without draining coolant.
dougburi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:33 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the responses. I am having the MH serviced in a few weeks and will have them look for a engine coolant filter.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:21 AM   #6

Rexhall Owners Group
On my ISC 350 the coolant filter is located on the same side of the engine as the oil filter about a foot or so toward the rear (away from the transmission). Easy to change but they do come with different SCA units inside. Check with Cummins to be sure.
PandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:33 AM   #7

If you have an OAT coolant (like Final Charge) your coolant filter will NOT have SCAs in it (nor will you need to test strip for SCAs). In the case of OAT coolants, the filter really is just a filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR161 View Post
The shut offs are now froze open so the filter can only be changed at coolant changes or if the coolant needs to be drained for any other repair.
Well, not really true. You'll lose about a quart of coolant (or less) depending how quickly you reinstall the new filter - keep the radiator fill cap securely tightened while doing this to minimize spill. I took my valves out do to perpetual seepage and just do quick filter swap outs. Pretty much the same as fuel filter swap outs.
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:48 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
That's good info. the shop that was supposed to change the filter at my last coolant replacement forgot. When they tried after the fact, they told me the shut offs were froze and did not change the filter. I should have insisted.
SteveR161 is offline   Reply With Quote