Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2022, 05:41 PM   #1

Entrance stairs disconnected, free swinging

Today, I put our coach back in its storage stall, truly a 10 lbs package in a 5 lbs bag. When I got out the coach entrance steps decided to fail. This is a mechanical failure, where the steps now swing freely, and the mechanism goes through its cycle without being attached to the actual steps. Something got disconnected.

Unfortunately the floor of the stall is crushed stone, and not a place you want to slide across. The plan is next Saturday to get a helper to manually push the steps in so I can back the coach out, clearing the building up rights and get it on some concrete to take a look at what is under there. To get a head start on what I am likely to find and the tools I will need, I request your help and advice. Thanks
PeteDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2022, 08:03 PM   #2

Any idea of the brand of steps on your coach ?
Kwikee ? Lippert ?

I'd say hold the steps out and snap a few pictures reaching under with your cell phone . Take a few old towels to lay on if you have to get a lower angle for your photos and a rope or bunjies to tie them up .
Moving the coach with someone trying to hold steps out of harms way could get complicated in a hurry .
Old 08-16-2022, 11:31 AM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
There is a connecting link (rod) that goes from the motor to the step. It may have broken or come off. Stepping on the step before it's fully extended can cause the arm to break.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220816_101832.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	207.1 KB
ID:	373850
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 02:29 PM   #4

Came up with a piece of plywood and a stress relief floor matt and used these to wiggle under the stairs as pictured by Dutch Star Don (thanks for the pic). Bottom line everything looks in order and connected, the problem is the motor turns, but the output shaft that drives the arm Don's arrow points at does not move. The output shaft of the motor has a gear, and the gear box has an internal plastic gear that the motor engages. One is very likely stripped or otherwise failing. If a labor day two week trip was not planned I would have done some more fault analysis but, I order both the motor and the gear box from Newmar. Should be a plug and play solution. I will likely have a spare good part or two so the next replacement will be less expensive. Or having some good parts may prevent future failures. Isn't that how it works?
Old 08-16-2022, 04:22 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
When you said the motor was still running, I thought it could be the arm, but certainly sounds like the gear stripped.

When I bought my 2019 DS three years ago, there seemed to be a rash of step motors braking. I ordered a spare and keep it in the coach. I don't know what Newmar charges, but I believe I bought mine on Amazon.

It should be one of these....

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=kwikee+st...s_ts-doa-p_5_7
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 08:41 PM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to Jim 75
"IF" it is the gear, it can be purchased separately. Friend had the gear strip out, Newmar wanted a bundle, so he went elsewhere and found one for around $4.00 +/-. I will call and see where he found it, IF thats what you need?? Jim75 2012 MA 4336
Jim 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 06:24 PM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to Jim 75
Pete, called my buddy about the gear we mentioned earlier, He did get it for $4.00 bucks, BUT, being he has a case of "CRS" (can`t remember stuff) he couldn`t tell me where he purchased it!! Sorry.. If he does get passed his CRS , I`ll repost the location... Jim 75
Jim 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 09:12 PM   #8

Today I was finally able to retrieve the coach from storage on the rocks, and it is now sitting in my driveway. The stairs are first on the agenda for the morning. Received the new motor and gear box from Newmar, and the initial good news is the larger plastic gear in older units is now metal. I am really interested to see what failed. Hopefully will know tomorrow. Just need the rain to hold off for an hour or so after daylight.
Old 08-22-2022, 09:37 AM   #9

Weather held yesterday AM just long enough to do my step motor replacement. What were they thinking with that design and placement. The day before the failure, we drove 90 miles from Wilmington, NC to our home, in multiple down pours you can only experience close to the coast lines.

To summarize the facts, the failure was in motor gear box, not the big gearbox, the smaller on the drive motor frame. A picture is worth a thousand words, so here are a few thousand:

Upper Left: a few drops of water came out but otherwise like new with a metal large gear and a manufacturing date stamp of June 2019.

Upper Right: The mess of Gear grease mixed with water. You do not need a great imagination to speculate how some high pressure made it way into this area.

Lower Left: The failing link. The lower left rusted plate flips over onto the center shaft and the three protrusions get lined up in the three spaces outside the shaft. The motor spins the plate that in turn spins the shaft, that is when the center hole in the plate is SQUARE. When it becomes round, as in my case, the plate spins but the shaft remains still since a square plate hole spins the shaft but a round one just sits there.

Nothing a new one will not solve quickly, but not very long unless the water is keep on the outside.

And when someone tells you it is easy to replace the unit, single handed, laying under the front of the coach
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Gear.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	374296   Click image for larger version

Name:	Surprise.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	204.6 KB
ID:	374297  

Name:	Cleaned).jpg