Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2020, 03:04 PM   #1

Spartan Chassis
Entrance Steps

We started the coach to exercise the jacks as we have been in the same location for over a month. When we turned off the engine the entrance steps will not come back out. Have found what I think was the fuse and it looked good but replaced it just in case but they still will not extend. 2019 Ventana on a Spartan chassis. Does anyone know if there is another fuse that I can not find or suggestions to solve the problem.

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2020, 03:32 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcarmon1 View Post
We started the coach to exercise the jacks as we have been in the same location for over a month. When we turned off the engine the entrance steps will not come back out. Have found what I think was the fuse and it looked good but replaced it just in case but they still will not extend. 20169 Ventana on a Spartan chassis. Does anyone know if there is another fuse that I can not find or suggestions to solve the problem.

Thanks
Have you tried a 12 volt shut down?
96kpmjmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 05:14 PM   #3

If they won't extend when you open the door you have some kind of electrical problem. Sometimes it helps to give the magnetic switch in the door frame a little tap.
Old 12-01-2020, 05:30 PM   #4

Spartan Chassis
Kevin if you are talking about cutting the 12v switch by door off, I did that but did not solve the problem.
Old 12-01-2020, 05:38 PM   #5
WTB

Can you hear the step motor running? Is it trying to extend the steps? Or is the issue that there is absolutely no power to the step motor?
WTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 06:18 PM   #6

Spartan Chassis
I do not hear anything when I open the door. This is why I thought it might be a fuse. The only fuse I found was good. Is there a second fuse?
Old 12-01-2020, 07:53 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I recommend looking at the wiring harness under the RV that hooks up to the steps. When my stairs had erratic issues including failing to extend (and retract when trying to hit the road) I found accumulated road spray in the harness connector.

Unplugged it to check the pins for voltage and water came out. Plugged it back together and the system worked fine for another season. I also wrapped it to keep water out.

- Richard
RandDescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 08:13 PM   #8

Isn't there a switch by the door that will keep the steps in when the door is open? I have accidentally flipped mine before.
Mr. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 09:25 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
We started the coach to exercise the jacks as we have been in the same location for over a month. When we turned off the engine the entrance steps will not come back out. Have found what I think was the fuse and it looked good but replaced it just in case but they still will not extend. 2019 Ventana on a Spartan chassis. Does anyone know if there is another fuse that I can not find or suggestions to solve the problem.

Thanks
Sometimes they just get stuck. Have you tried just pulling on them once the door is open to see if they move any? Just be careful of where you pull from.
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 04:50 AM   #10

You have a switch that you turn on that leaves the steps out when engine off and door is opened and closed. If you turn the ignition on (not starting) the extended steps will retract. With the switch still on and the ignition off, the steps will now stay retracted even if you open the door. To fix this, close the door, turn the switch off and then open the door, it should work again.

This is how my steps work but others say theirs don't work like that. Give it a try, I can repeat this operation over and over on mine. It can be dangerous for them to stay in, especially at night. When I turn the switch on that keeps the steps out, I put a clothes pin on the ignition key to remind me to turn that step switch off before I turn the ignition to on.
Why would they design the steps to work like that? One example I can think of is if you have a set of permanent steps at a site and don't need to use your steps. Or maybe there is a close by curb that would damage your steps?
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 06:55 AM   #11

Quote:
I do not hear anything when I open the door. This is why I thought it might be a fuse. The only fuse I found was good. Is there a second fuse?
Yes, there is a second fuse. There is one for the 12v power going to the controller for the steps and a second one for the 12v going to the On/Off switch above the door. Not sure where this fuse would be on your rig, but mine is located under the hood near the BIRD. Mine blew and wouldn't let the steps retract when I closed the door.
RetiredBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 05:01 PM   #12

Spartan Chassis
Thanks for the information. I found the second fuse and it was also good. I have power going into the control modular but not going into the step motor. After talking to Newmar they ok’ed a Mobil tech to fix as the coach is still under warranty. Thanks again for the replies and thanks to Newmar for their customer service.
Old 12-03-2020, 06:06 PM   #13

Let us know what the Mobil tech ends up doing to fix the issue.
Thanks!
Mr. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 06:28 AM   #14

Spartan Chassis
UPDATE

Teck came yesterday and the control module was bad. this did not entirely fix the problem. The magnets are not all working so he has to get parts from Newmar. He got the steps out so we don't need a step ladder to get in and out of coach. I will update as progress comes about. Again thanks for all the help.

Tags
steps