Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2021, 08:36 AM   #1

Entry door keeps trying to lock while driving

My entry door has started to make an intermittent really loud sound from the locking mechanism during driving as if it doesn’t think the door is locked and keeps trying to lock it.
Some times is several rapid fire attempts to lock, other times it’s one or two. It may be silent for several miles, then go back to trying to lock.

The door lock is working fine, and can be locked/unlocked by the switch on the dash as well as the keyless entry, it’s just an issue while driving. It’s really loud and distracting and making my normally calm dog very nervous.

I’m thinking there’s a door lock sensor that’s going bad and wanted to see if any of you have experienced this and/or know how I can bypass the auto lock feature until I can get this fixed.
Thanks
Bill
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2021, 09:17 AM   #2

Just a thought - you wouldn’t by chance be hearing the stairs trying to open and close would you?

If so, check the stair wiring or magnet location on the door.
MrMark52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 09:18 AM   #3

When I had our Dutch Star my door did the same thing and it was some corrosion on the jam contacts.

On the hinge side of the door frame, there are some brass spring-loaded contacts, mine had some black on them that I cleaned off with a kitchen scrub pad. After I got them back to shiny brass, all clacking stopped.

Might be worth checking on yours.
Old 10-14-2021, 09:52 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR John View Post
When I had our Dutch Star my door did the same thing and it was some corrosion on the jam contacts.
Same here.
-B
Full time RVer since 4/2016. Newmar Mountain Aire 4523 - Jeep Rubicon - Harley FLTCR - 2022 F450 Platinum, 2022 Momentum 351MS-R with Curt Flex Air hitch and MORryde IS - Also considering a Polaris General 4 Seater and a Can Am Spyder RT
BrokeDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 10:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR John View Post

On the hinge side of the door frame, there are some brass spring-loaded contacts, mine had some black on them that I cleaned off with a kitchen scrub pad. After I got them back to shiny brass, all clacking stopped.

Might be worth checking on yours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDown View Post
Same here.
-B
Thanks for the responses.
I just scrubbed the 4 contacts on the door and the jamb to a shiny brass and will see how it goes on our next travel day (Saturday).
Old 10-14-2021, 10:45 AM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
If that doesn't resolve the issue, remove the sensors and clean the contacts on them (wiring connections), the body of the sensor and the spots in the door and door frame where they're secured.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 12:10 PM   #7

Also make sure they are all sticking out about the same and they are springy. There is probably a spec for how much they should stick out. Mine look to be a quarter of an inch or so.
Full time RVer since 4/2016. Newmar Mountain Aire 4523 - Jeep Rubicon - Harley FLTCR - 2022 F450 Platinum, 2022 Momentum 351MS-R with Curt Flex Air hitch and MORryde IS - Also considering a Polaris General 4 Seater and a Can Am Spyder RT
BrokeDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 12:17 PM   #8
Community Moderator

I applied this to the contacts, and no more issues for almost 2 years now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9727.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	198.3 KB
ID:	346079
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 04:52 PM   #9

Hmmmm, no joy on today’s drive after cleaning the contacts, removing the sensor blocks to check the connections and adjusting the lowest sensor on the door jamb to be flush with the three above it.
90% of the time the door tries to lock occurs when hitting a bump or rough road. On smooth roads it’s mostly quiet but does occasionally try to lock.
This issue first occurred when the door was left open on a rainy day, but disappeared when the door dried out. Now it’s back.
I’ll have to recheck the sensors. I suppose it could also be a failing relay or a loose connection inside the door.
Old 10-16-2021, 05:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
My entry door has started to make an intermittent really loud sound from the locking mechanism during driving as if it doesn’t think the door is locked and keeps trying to lock it.
Some times is several rapid fire attempts to lock, other times it’s one or two. It may be silent for several miles, then go back to trying to lock.

The door lock is working fine, and can be locked/unlocked by the switch on the dash as well as the keyless entry, it’s just an issue while driving. It’s really loud and distracting and making my normally calm dog very nervous.

I’m thinking there’s a door lock sensor that’s going bad and wanted to see if any of you have experienced this and/or know how I can bypass the auto lock feature until I can get this fixed.
Thanks
Bill
Bill
I had a similar issue a few years back in our 2016 Dutch Star. My door as well as my basement door locks did the same thing thing ( a rapid fire ) In my case it was the TRI Mark system, I had to disconnect the module that was inside my dash ( behind the Tach and Speedometer ) By luck I had a up coming Newmar appointment. If I recall correctly the Newmar Tech said it was a bad ground. Hope this helps.
96kpmjmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 07:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96kpmjmm View Post
Bill
I had a similar issue a few years back in our 2016 Dutch Star. My door as well as my basement door locks did the same thing thing ( a rapid fire ) In my case it was the TRI Mark system, I had to disconnect the module that was inside my dash ( behind the Tach and Speedometer ) By luck I had a up coming Newmar appointment. If I recall correctly the Newmar Tech said it was a bad ground. Hope this helps.
Thanks. I’ll look for that module and reach out to Trimark. I don’t know which of the four door contacts is tied to the door lock actuator or where the ground wire terminates, so I have some investigating to do. I was hoping there was a function to bypass the auto door lock feature because the lock is working fine except when I’m driving.
Old 10-20-2021, 08:08 AM   #12

So I think it’s the air cylinder activated lock towards the top of the door making all of the noise while driving. Would pulling the door lock fuse on the circuit board in the bay under the driver’s seat be an acceptable temporary fix to disable this lock while driving?
Thanks
Old 10-21-2021, 07:24 AM   #13
Community Moderator

How did it go? I have the same air lock, but don’t even know if mine locks or not…..I only hear the main lock near the handle activate when putting coach in gear.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 07:04 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
How did it go? I have the same air lock, but don’t even know if mine locks or not…..I only hear the main lock near the handle activate when putting coach in gear.
I haven’t found a solution yet. I cleaned, adjusted and lubricated the contacts, checked the wiring, checked the alignment of the four contacts, tried pulling the “door lock” fuse and removing power from the Trimark module, and the problem still exists.
It happens mostly when I hit bumps, and interestingly on non bumpy roads it’s more prevalent when the road curves to the right than the left. I also hear that high pitched beep from the Trimark module each time it happens.
That “air assist” lock is powered by an air line that goes through a 12 volt solenoid on the firewall in the generator compartment but I don’t know if that 12 volts is triggered by the contacts on the door or whether the air assist is simply triggered when the parking brake is released.
I’m going to put a call into PTL and Trimark to see if they can clarify and help troubleshoot. I sent an e-mail to Newmar last week but haven’t received a response.

Tags
door, entry door