Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2022, 07:10 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Entry door shade hangs up

Hi there,

First thanks to all who take the time to respond to questions/problems. There have been many occasions where I've searched an issue, found results and rectified the problem within a short period of time. This is better and faster than any other available option.

2020 DSDP 4081

Here's one that's not a biggie - just annoying. The night shade over our entry door window hangs up on the top of the pull down window screen every time we put it down. Any know fixes? We normally just have to gently pull it down but I'm concerned that it may get tangled and damage the shade or motor.

Thanks.
krpowers54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2022, 11:10 AM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
i have manual shades, but I'm guessing a discreet piece of tubing (sliced in half) or ramp at the top edge of the door screen would solve the problem.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 11:22 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by krpowers54 View Post
Hi there,

Here's one that's not a biggie - just annoying. The night shade over our entry door window hangs up on the top of the pull down window screen every time we put it down. Any know fixes? We normally just have to gently pull it down but I'm concerned that it may get tangled and damage the shade or motor.

Thanks.
We had the same issue when our DS was new. I moved the entire shade housing out further to solve the problem. Don't recall how much, but likely between a 1/2" & 1"
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 12:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
We had the same issue when our DS was new. I moved the entire shade housing out further to solve the problem. Don't recall how much, but likely between a 1/2" & 1"
Thanks for that idea Ken. I try to stop mine before it passes the top edge of the door screen but I miss the mark sometimes and have to guide it back over the door screen every once in a while. This will make it much easier and it looks to be fairly easy to move. Mine appears to have 1/2 to 3/4" of space to move it. Thanks again for the idea.
DutchStarJez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 12:56 PM   #5

Both mine and my friends 21 DS have the same issue-his worse than mine but thanks for the ideas. One thing I did do on both are rigs was get on the phone with MCD and I set up a separate channel for the entry door shade so that I can raise it up or down independently of all the other night shades. Ours were programmed where the door shade would only work with all the other shades in the front when you press the ALL up or ALL down night only-no independent operation like some of the others have.
UMXHAULER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 02:38 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by UMXHAULER View Post
Both mine and my friends 21 DS have the same issue-his worse than mine but thanks for the ideas. One thing I did do on both are rigs was get on the phone with MCD and I set up a separate channel for the entry door shade so that I can raise it up or down independently of all the other night shades. Ours were programmed where the door shade would only work with all the other shades in the front when you press the ALL up or ALL down night only-no independent operation like some of the others have.
I really like that idea. Do you recall how you accomplished that?
USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 05:16 PM   #7

UMSCRET, if you are talking about the 15 channel remote programming I just called MCD innovations (800.804.1757) tech support and they walked me through it on the phone. They have instructions for programming on their web site but it's hard to make heads or tails out of. We assigned channel 15 to the entry door.
UMXHAULER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 03:15 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by UMXHAULER View Post
UMSCRET, if you are talking about the 15 channel remote programming I just called MCD innovations (800.804.1757) tech support and they walked me through it on the phone. They have instructions for programming on their web site but it's hard to make heads or tails out of. We assigned channel 15 to the entry door.
10-4. Thanks. I’ve always believed that door shade should have been programmed separately.
USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 06:25 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
As usual, fabulous suggestions from the IRV2 crew. My shade housing is up against the port side of the door cabinet so no room to move.
Thought I would be going with Don's suggestion of a re-director of some kind then UMSCRET chimed in. This reminded me to reach out to MCD to separate the programming of the two passenger shades. This also triggered a brain cell - I believe that there's a top limit that can be programmed. This would eliminate the problem entirely. BTW - the gal I previously spoke with at MCD was extremely pleasant & helpful.

Happy 2022 to all!
Old 01-08-2022, 02:12 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by krpowers54 View Post
Hi there,

First thanks to all who take the time to respond to questions/problems. There have been many occasions where I've searched an issue, found results and rectified the problem within a short period of time. This is better and faster than any other available option.

2020 DSDP 4081

Thanks.

It’s retracting to far up into the roller. Your owners manual has a quick adjustment to solve this problem
Clemson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 06:29 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Reviewing & Closing the loop on this thread - The main issue was the shade on the entry door would hang up on the mechanism for the screen door retractable screen. Also, the passenger window shade was tied to the entry door shade. Today, I called MCD. This was my second customer service call with them. They get 5 stars. They know what they're talking about are very courteous and actually seem to care about getting our personal issue resolved - whether it's an issue for someone else or not. I had to leave a message and then because of our schedule, we had to set a time to get together. This is absolutely fine with me.

Result - we first separated the shades on the door and passenger window. Then, we programmed the door shade and set the upper limit so it wouldn't go above the screen mechanism. We'll no longer have this shade hang up. Then we added the door to the "all night" button on the remote.

Great company (MCD Shades) and two very satisfied customers.

Tags
door, entry door