Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2020, 10:42 PM   #1

Entry Door Vinyl

After the original door vinyl on our 2018 DS shrank around the edges to the point of coming loose at the edges, we hired TransWest in Grand Junction, CO to replace it with Newmar supplied vinyl. Now that we’re 1500 miles away from Junction, the new vinyl has a huge bubble in the center. Everytime I smooth it out, it returns in a few minutes. Anyone know how to fix this problem?
Calpop45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2020, 01:03 AM   #2

Spartan Chassis
Pic would be helpful.
TheRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 05:06 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calpop45 View Post
After the original door vinyl on our 2018 DS shrank around the edges to the point of coming loose at the edges, we hired TransWest in Grand Junction, CO to replace it with Newmar supplied vinyl. Now that we’re 1500 miles away from Junction, the new vinyl has a huge bubble in the center. Everytime I smooth it out, it returns in a few minutes. Anyone know how to fix this problem?
I am at Newmar in Nappannee right now for exactly the same reason.

I believe that they use contact cement to glue the vinyl to the door. In your case, its possible that they missed applying cement in the area where you see the bubble forming or didn't use enough.

Find out what material the door is made of and then find a liquid adhesive that works for the two surfaces. (the backing of the vinyl and the door material) Then find a syringe and a thin metal needle, pierce the bubble and inject the adhesive into the bubble. Smooth out the bubble and maintain pressure until the adhesive cures.

Vinyl is a forgiving material and should "heal" the hole made by the syringe to the point you won't see it.

Clean any leftover adhesive on the outside of the vinyl right away.

Just my two cents. I hope it helps.
traveller333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 08:32 AM   #4

Maybe just making a tiny hole in the bubble to let the air out would work. just apply pressure to its there might be adhesive behind it.
Ernie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 08:45 AM   #5

I would to to your local big box home improvement store and get a J roller for formica, I think I paid about $10 for mine. I had the same issue with some formica I put on a counter top. I apparently missed rolling part of the formica adequately and it formed a bubble. I used the roller on it and it went away permanently. The roller comes in handy for other stuff too. Good luck.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 02:54 PM   #6

Pierce one edge of the bubble with a pin. Slowly press the air out starting from the opposite edge working towards the pin hole. If there is no adhesive on the vinyl you may have to slice one edge with a razor blade to be able to get some adhesive in there.
Old 09-12-2020, 03:03 AM   #7

Location: Not Sure, but I think I should have turned left at Albuquerque
I am having the same issue with my 2018 DSDP. Newmar would cover it out of warranty and the door manufacturer (PTL) would only give you the vinyl to fix it your self. I guess that is better than nothing.

Has anyone replaced the vinyl themselves? Good idea to add some more contact cement to the door and possibly the vinyl.
FlaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 05:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaRider View Post
I am having the same issue with my 2018 DSDP. Newmar would cover it out of warranty and the door manufacturer (PTL) would only give you the vinyl to fix it your self. I guess that is better than nothing.

Has anyone replaced the vinyl themselves? Good idea to add some more contact cement to the door and possibly the vinyl.

I repaired ours last month as it was loose all over and had pulled out of the bottom trim. I removed the trim on both sides and bottom and using contact cement re-attached it. I only used the glue along the edges. Starting with the outer edge, then, pulling the material taunt, the opposite side, and finally the bottom edge. So far it is holding well and looks great. I did remove the retainer for the screen door as well as the trim around the inside handle and glued those areas as well
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 10:27 PM   #9

Ken C, could you tell me how to remove the door trim? I have n idea how it’s attached!
Calpop45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 10:58 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
It's funny that this thread just popped up on what is really an unusual issue. As I was prepping the coach for a trip last week, I noticed the vinyl on the bottom left corner of the door had pulled out of the corner by about an 1/8" x 2". The only reason I noticed it, you could see the tan wood behind it. I was unable to pull enough slack to get it back in place, so I glued it down and painted the small sliver of wood that was showing, black.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 04:29 AM   #11

Ours did the same thing. Dealer "repaired" it and it pulled loose again. Latest dealer repair is holding.
Old 09-13-2020, 07:12 AM   #12

Our 2019 DS4018 did exactly the same thing at the end of the first year. Newmar replaced it under warranty.
I would contact Newmar and let them know Trans West screwed it up. Trans West can either repair properly or take it somewhere else.
Granite17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 07:20 AM   #13

We have friends with a Ventana. He had the same issue. He removed the vinyl and the glue. Use a stain on the luan plywood that was under the vinyl and a satin polyurathane.. He used the screen door rubber piece, that holds the screen in the frame, around the edge of the luan to give a finished look. problem solve. It looks really good. Sorry I don't have a picture.
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 07:42 AM   #14

Our door vinyl had the same problem.
Our dealer (Independence RV) insisted that the door panel be replaced and did it under warranty. So far no problems.
Don W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, entry door, vinyl