Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2020, 01:37 PM   #1

Entry Keypad Failure

Hello All, been a while since I have been here. Has anyone experienced a failure in their keypad on the entry door?never had an issue with it until about a month ago. I went to unlock both bay doors as well as entry door and nothing. 3-4 days later it worked. Now I have been trying it evedryday for a month or so. Keyfob still works. Neither the locks or the doorbell work. Any ideas or thoughts on this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2020, 01:58 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdagro View Post
Hello All, been a while since I have been here. Has anyone experienced a failure in their keypad on the entry door?never had an issue with it until about a month ago. I went to unlock both bay doors as well as entry door and nothing. 3-4 days later it worked. Now I have been trying it evedryday for a month or so. Keyfob still works. Neither the locks or the doorbell work. Any ideas or thoughts on this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Clean the 4 brass buttons on door jamb and door with scotchbrite or sandpaper to make a solid connection. That's what works on my 2014 dutchstar
Carl 2014 dutchstar 4364
Greenbarn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 05:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenbarn1 View Post
Clean the 4 brass buttons on door jamb and door with scotchbrite or sandpaper to make a solid connection. That's what works on my 2014 dutchstar
Carl 2014 dutchstar 4364
I thought about doing that but the keypad doesn't even light up. And I would think the power comes from the handle and not the door. The brass connections are just contacts. Tech told me ck fuses. Dont see a fuse for door locks unless it is piggy backed with something else. When I get back home tomorrow I will pull out the big black anchor with all of my manuals and find the sheets that have all the locations and fuses. Hopefully that will tekk me something. Thanks for the reply.
Old 05-18-2020, 06:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdagro View Post
I thought about doing that but the keypad doesn't even light up. And I would think the power comes from the handle and not the door. The brass connections are just contacts. Tech told me ck fuses. Dont see a fuse for door locks unless it is piggy backed with something else. When I get back home tomorrow I will pull out the big black anchor with all of my manuals and find the sheets that have all the locations and fuses. Hopefully that will tekk me something. Thanks for the reply.

Mine acted the same as yours. Did what Greenbarn1 suggested and they now work. Will take you about 30 seconds . I would start there and eliminate that as a possibility.

2016 DSDP 4369, Freightliner Chassis, AF One brake system, 2016 Chevy Equinox
Tigerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 07:35 PM   #5
Rd1

The brass contacts are also adjustable. Some times they turn "IN" and lose contact with the other side. just turn them out by hand a few turns and make sure the door side and frame side do make contact, as you close the door.
Rd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 08:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerfan1 View Post
Mine acted the same as yours. Did what Greenbarn1 suggested and they now work. Will take you about 30 seconds . I would start there and eliminate that as a possibility.
It was on my list as starting point. No use in overthinking it! Thanks "Y'ALL!"

I WILL REPORT MY FINDINGS! THINKING POSITIVE! Don't tell DW
Old 05-19-2020, 09:16 PM   #7

Have you tried a 12 volt shut down for 10 seconds than turn it back on. Hope that helps
96kpmjmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 07:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96kpmjmm View Post
Have you tried a 12 volt shut down for 10 seconds than turn it back on. Hope that helps
Tried everything above and NOTHING! Power is not getting to the keypad. Handle doesn't light up and doorbell doesn't work either. Unless I'm missing something the fuse charts and locations of panels seems to be labeled wrong or something as I can not find the proper fuse to change. There is a entry keypad on page 5 of my fuse panel and location sheets but can't find where it is. Diagrams don't match the panels.
Old 05-31-2020, 04:17 PM   #9
jrs

Our stopped working too. Tried what was mentioned above w/o results. Hopefully it will be addressed during our August warranty repairs visit. We actually got locked out once so a set of keys are attached with magnet and box outside.
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:50 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Entry Keypad Failure

I assume you have a Trimark key pad. If so, you may have a loose connection in the handle. I spoke with a Trimark tech and he suggested taking the handle off and checking the connections. I cleaned the connections with compressed air and my key pad works better. Before I had the same issue you describe. Here are the steps recommended by the tech.
1. Disconnect the “entry door” from the Trimark module located under the plastic tray on the dash (this is the location on my 2016 Anthem)
2. Take the screws off the bottom door handle. Be careful, the acrylic piece is not fastened to anything and will drop out.
3. Carefully pull the wires from the hole you just opened. There is plenty of slack.
4. Disconnect the connection and blow everything with compressed air. Ensure the connections are tight, especially the ground. Reconnect and ensure connection is tight.
5. Reassemble.
Old 06-03-2020, 03:13 PM   #11

I just got done replacing the keypad on my 2016 Dutch Star. I use it a lot and never take my keys or keyfob with me when leaving the RV-I just use the keypad.

It started with my entry door not locking or unlocking electronically. So I removed the door handle assembly and determined that the door lock motor driven push-pull actautor was dead. (There is a nice video of how to access it on the PTL Engineering website). You can test the actuator with a simple 9 volt battery touching the door contact bullet shaped contacts. I checked my electric contacts to the door first and they were okay. I ordered a new door lock actautor from PTL Engineering, the door manufacturer 810-664-2310, but when I installed it the door lock would still not work from the keypad or key fob. I also noticed that when I tried to lock/unlock the door the relays for the luggage doors would chatter on/off rapidly and loudly. These relays made by Positron (Elkhart 574-295-8777) are located inside the plastic bulkhead next to the passenger seat (cupholder on top). The relay module was getting a rapid on/off signal from the Trimark radio receiver/logic controller located behind the instrumnet gauge assembly in the dash. I spent a lot of time on the phone with the tech at Trimark 800-447-0343. At first I thought it was the Trimark receiver so I ordered and installed one but the problem remained. Then after a lot of troubleshooting with Trimark on the phone, we determined that the keypad was shot and causing all the problems. I ordered a new keypad with gasket and a plug in cable adapter(since Trimark redesigned the connector) and installed it. That solved finally solved the problem. So it appears that the keypad was sending a continual signal to the door actuator via the controller which burned the tiny actuator motor out. Anyway, the bottom line is that the keypads can fail. Of course in your situation there could be a bad connection to the keypad as others have suggested. There is about a 12 inch long cable from the keypad to a cable connector which is shoved into the wall opening at the keypad. There could be an issue with the connector or the wires. Hope this helps.

Keith
RetireeKeith is offline   Reply With Quote