Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2022, 10:11 AM   #1

Equalizer leveling system question

2020 Ventana 4369 w/Equalizer /smart leveling system

Anybody know what the minimum voltage needed is for this system ?

Every once in a while when I turn the key on to operate the system, I get a low voltage alert. That's usually because the dash air is on. Turning that off solves the problem. Just returned from a trip and couldn't use the leveling system due to low voltage light on the panel.

Normally, I turn the key on, hit auto level, then hit auto level again to stop the system, but continue to dump all the air. I then manually level.

Back home now, coach in the garage, plugged in to 50 amp. Front panel shows chassis batteries at 12.54. Checking with a meter at the battery, I get 12.64.

Hooked up a 10 amp battery charger, now getting a reading of just over 13 volts, but I still have the low voltage light on the equalizer panel, and it won't work if that light is on. Any ideas ?

I haven't done a 12V reset yet, but will try that after the batteries charge for a while.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2022, 11:58 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I get the low voltage light for a short period every time I start the engine. It always goes out and I continue on with the HWH procedure. I just assumed it was a warning while airing up or something not related to actual voltage. Can't imagine why a running engine and/or plugged into shore power would have a varying voltage like that.

Certainly interested in education if others know exactly how that warning light is tied into the system.
RVStitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 12:27 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
There's a heater in the engine during startup that draws the voltage down tempoarily. That is entirely normal for a Cummins engine coach.

But your Equalizer problem sounds like it persists after that. Based on your description I would suspect a bad connection leading to the Equalizer.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 01:52 PM   #4

I only put the key in acc, so I don't think the heater should come on.

Anyway, I charged the batteries up to 13.3, then did a 12V reset, and now it's working. Wished I would have done the reset first so I would know if that fixed it or charging the batteries.
Old 06-08-2022, 02:46 PM   #5

I had a conversation with Equalizer re the same issue. Per their tech documentation on my 2021 Bay Star with the Equalizer Smart EQ system minimum operating voltage is 11.5 volts. I found that the system would show low voltage and not operate unless the voltage to the control panel (measured directly at the power connector on the control panel) was 13.1 volts or greater. EQ tech support advised me that Newmar had EQ set the systems for my model year at 13.1 volts minimum.

You may be experiencing the same situation. I do not know a date when this was implemented or have any written documentation to back up what I was told by tech support.

I checked the supply voltage at various points throughout the EQ system and they were all the same.
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 03:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-W View Post
I had a conversation with Equalizer re the same issue. Per their tech documentation on my 2021 Bay Star with the Equalizer Smart EQ system minimum operating voltage is 11.5 volts. I found that the system would show low voltage and not operate unless the voltage to the control panel (measured directly at the power connector on the control panel) was 13.1 volts or greater. EQ tech support advised me that Newmar had EQ set the systems for my model year at 13.1 volts minimum.

You may be experiencing the same situation. I do not know a date when this was implemented or have any written documentation to back up what I was told by tech support.

I checked the supply voltage at various points throughout the EQ system and they were all the same.
That really seems like a lot of voltage required to operate. Our coach is in it's third year, so maybe the batteries are aging and this will be an issue going forward. I carry a charger so maybe I'll have to use it from time to time.
Old 06-08-2022, 05:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSuper View Post
That really seems like a lot of voltage required to operate. Our coach is in it's third year, so maybe the batteries are aging and this will be an issue going forward. I carry a charger so maybe I'll have to use it from time to time.
I have found that if I am on shore power the EQ system is happy. If not on shore power I start the engine to satisfy the EQ system.

I agree it seems a bit overkill that voltage must be 13.1 but from what I was told by EQ Newmar wanted it that way to make sure there was adequate voltage to operate the system reliably.
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 05:26 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Related to that,

When starting the engine, do any of you also get the jacks down warning and flashing LEDs? Happens every time I start after 8 hours or so.

Pressing All Retract stops the warning.

Visual inspection show no jacks “unstowed or sagged” prior to start, then warning alarms again.

Thanks for any insight
FloridaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 05:32 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaSon View Post
Related to that,

When starting the engine, do any of you also get the jacks down warning and flashing LEDs?
Not us.
RVStitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 06:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaSon View Post
Related to that,

When starting the engine, do any of you also get the jacks down warning and flashing LEDs? Happens every time I start after 8 hours or so.

Pressing All Retract stops the warning.

Visual inspection show no jacks “unstowed or sagged” prior to start, then warning alarms again.

Thanks for any insight
I get that warning on occasion. I was told that the system needs to sense a certain pressure on the jacks up or the alarm would activate. Might be a slight bleed down in preasure.
daveh5525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 06:50 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveh5525 View Post
I get that warning on occasion. I was told that the system needs to sense a certain pressure on the jacks up or the alarm would activate. Might be a slight bleed down in preasure.
Thank you, makes sense. I read the owners manual and install and could not find anything .

I appreciate it.
FloridaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 05:18 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
I am having some leveling issues and have been talking with Newmar and Equalizer System Techs. For my 2021 Newmar Ventana my engine must be running (for voltage) to enable the leveling system to work. System will not work if engine is not running. Was told that this engine running requirement started for 2021 models. Also on 2022. I was discussing my Ventana (Diesel) with Equalizer System. Don't know if this applies to other 2021-22 models.
BeachedTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 01:44 PM   #13

We have a 2020 Ventana and today I auto level the EQ. Received Excessive slope and tried to manually set the jacks. Throughout process I was receiving Low Voltage ( which happens frequently) and after several minutes nothing was operating but the 4 lights for the jacks were flashing. The key was set on acc and I turned off dash ac and the br ac. Still received Low Voltage. I’m a bit perplexed so any insight would be helpful. I’m going to Newmar the end of August so trying to determine if this should go on my list.
Agilitydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 05:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agilitydog View Post
We have a 2020 Ventana and today I auto level the EQ. Received Excessive slope and tried to manually set the jacks. Throughout process I was receiving Low Voltage ( which happens frequently) and after several minutes nothing was operating but the 4 lights for the jacks were flashing. The key was set on acc and I turned off dash ac and the br ac. Still received Low Voltage. I’m a bit perplexed so any insight would be helpful. I’m going to Newmar the end of August so trying to determine if this should go on my list.
I'm having the same issues on my 2020 also. The first year, no problems. The second year, I had to make sure the dash AC was off to avoid the low voltage light. Now in it's third season, I'm having difficulties avoiding the LV light. After returning from our last trip, I charged the chassis batteries, did a 12V reset, and with the batteries showing just over 13 volts, leveling worked fine. Earlier this week, we drove the RV to get an inspection and after returning home and parking in the shop I tried to dump the air using auto level twice, but no dice. Batteries were indicating 12.84. All dash controls were off, except the camera. Turning that off increased the voltage enough to work. I've never had to do that before.
It seems as the batteries age, this issue is more common. Newmar may have known this as the 21's have to have the engine running to operate the jacks, which I don't like, as I like to dump all air and wait for it to completely empty before manually leveling. I don't use auto since I can get it level at a lower height, which my wife and old dog like.
Going forward, I'll either have to replace the batteries, or as soon as pulling into our spot, put a charger on the batteries just to level.

Tags
leveling, leveling system