Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2021, 01:38 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Equalizer Rear Steel Jack Pad Bases

I had the misfortune of bending both steel bases on my Equalizer rear jacks this week.

I have a 4X4 on my parking pad that I use as a stop when I back into my space. When I touch the 4X4 with my rear tires I usually pull forward about an inch so the tires aren't pressured against the stop.

For what ever reason this time I pulled too far forward. When I deployed the jacks the leading edge of both rear base plates contacted the trailing edge of the 4X4 and were bent upwards.

I crawled under today and it appears the bases are attached to the hydraulic cylinder via a hex headed bolt.

So my question is....has anyone for what ever reason removed theirs for repairs or replacement? is it as simple as removing the hex bolt? Will the cylinders rotate when I try to do so?

I could live with them this way but prefer to get them back to their original shape but I'm venturing into unknown territory here.

Thanks,
Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0110.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	405.4 KB
ID:	335242   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0108.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	223.5 KB
ID:	335243  

bowpulpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2021, 02:27 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I have not worked on this system on an RV but I do work with hydraulics in the marine business so I can give you an educated guess.

The bolt is probably going into a blind threaded hole in the end of the cylinder rod. If the rod wants to turn when breaking the bolt loose it looks like you can hold the pad with some type of pipe wrench or cheater bar. Once the bolt breaks loose it is unlikely the cylinder rod would continue to turn.

If the rod does turn one trick is to load the rod with hydraulics to hold it in place. Not sure how you would set this up under the coach but maybe two 4x4's on the ground. Extend the cylinder until there is a little weight on the wood then get a ratchet in there between the wood to finish removing the bolt.
RVStitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 04:28 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I had one of my rears go missing while driving and had to have it replaced. No issue just putting in the new one (with locktite) and now I check those on my periodic maintenance.

When I’m checking tightness there is no rotation of the shaft.

- Richard
RandDescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 06:56 AM   #4

They are just bolts in threaded holes. No problem removing them.
Old 07-09-2021, 09:56 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mine are bent far worse than yours. So what? I could not bend them back even with long bars. My pads are welded on. The fix would be costly and then would do it again.
Old 07-10-2021, 04:41 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks everyone for their input....much appreciated. I did contact Equalizer and ordered two replacement pads. They are attached at the bottom of the cylinder via a 1/2" hex bolt. Was told by Equalizer that cylinder could turn but the bolt should break free first. Once out the plates will basically fall off. Use Loctite Red on the new bold and your done.

bowpulpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 04:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowpulpit View Post
Thanks everyone for their input....much appreciated. I did contact Equalizer and ordered two replacement pads. They are attached at the bottom of the cylinder via a 1/2" hex bolt. Was told by Equalizer that cylinder could turn but the bolt should break free first. Once out the plates will basically fall off. Use Loctite Red on the new bold and your done.
Correct. I lost one and found other 3 loose from the factory with no loctite. replaced the lost one, pad with new bolt, removed each one and added loctite to each. no more problems.
jdyson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rear