Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2018, 06:05 PM   #57

Same problem, today for first time in our 2018 DS 4018 with KIB monitor. Just sent Newmar service support an email summary

Briefly:

Dumped, back rinsed, monitor showed 75% and Amber light
Several iterations of flushing hot water , dawn and baking soda, monitor and Amber light would go to normal, but then problem again after 10 min

Now several hours later system seems normal. Will drive 300 miles tomorrow with 30% tank (From all the flushing i guess) sloshing and see how it functions. Will dump again to test

Gray and fresh seem correct
Mark71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2018, 10:37 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark71 View Post
Same problem, today for first time in our 2018 DS 4018 with KIB monitor. Just sent Newmar service support an email summary

Briefly:

Dumped, back rinsed, monitor showed 75% and Amber light
Several iterations of flushing hot water , dawn and baking soda, monitor and Amber light would go to normal, but then problem again after 10 min

Now several hours later system seems normal. Will drive 300 miles tomorrow with 30% tank (From all the flushing i guess) sloshing and see how it functions. Will dump again to test

Gray and fresh seem correct
What's strange is that as I understand it (but maybe I'm wrong), the Dometic and KIB sensors are different. One external and one internal.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 12:26 PM   #59

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
What's strange is that as I understand it (but maybe I'm wrong), the Dometic and KIB sensors are different. One external and one internal.
As it was explained to me by KIB, in addition to the KIB sensors (which illuminate the orange light at 75% and the red light at 100%) each toilet has a float sensor that independently will turn on the red light and stop the toilet from flushing.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:28 PM   #60

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostDutchman View Post
I have the same issue with my 2018 DSDP 4018. I am here at Camp Newmar now and via KIB they received approval for and are replacing the sensor strip and monitor as we speak.

That was the first thing they did on mine but made no difference whatsoever.

Pleas keep us updated what else they are coming up with …

Thanks,
Dan
Old 08-20-2018, 12:28 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxg0001 View Post
As it was explained to me by KIB, in addition to the KIB sensors (which illuminate the orange light at 75% and the red light at 100%) each toilet has a float sensor that independently will turn on the red light and stop the toilet from flushing.
So, will the toilet stop based on an incorrect KIB red light, or only based on the float? Pretty concerning if a KIB bad calibration/firmware problem results in a toilet not flushing when the tank is empty.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:33 PM   #62

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
So, will the toilet stop based on an incorrect KIB red light, or only based on the float? Pretty concerning if a KIB bad calibration/firmware problem results in a toilet not flushing when the account is empty.
It will stop on either. That was my big concern too, that's why I kept pushing for a resolution but they couldn't come up with anything. Ours routinely goes to 90% right after dumping even after back rinsing it. Once we flush the toilets 4 to 6 times it goes down to 0 (for now).

BTW, the tech told me to unplug the sensors if it shows 100% but we know it is empty so we can use the toilets. As far as I can tell, it's not easy to reach that sensor wire.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:35 PM   #63

Quote:
It will stop on either. That was my big concern too, that's why I kept pushing for a resolution but they couldn't come up with anything. Ours routinely goes to 90% right after dumping even after back rinsing it. Once we flush the toilets 4 to 6 times it goes down to 0 (for now).

BTW, the tech told me to unplug the sensors if it shows 100% but we know it is empty so we can use the toilets. As far as I can tell, it's not easy to reach that sensor wire.
Ouch. I better figure out where that sensor is. If they don't come up with a solution soon, I might need to unplug the sensor wire and then install a seelevel
Old 08-20-2018, 06:05 PM   #64
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
So, will the toilet stop based on an incorrect KIB red light, or only based on the float? Pretty concerning if a KIB bad calibration/firmware problem results in a toilet not flushing when the tank is empty.
Yes it will. Had NIRVC unplug that module. Seems like too much idiot proofing to me.

So far all that Newmar had NIRVC do is recalibrate the sensors. Don't think that is the answer-we'll see.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:17 AM   #65

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Chianese View Post
Len,

I have sent an email to Mr. Stichter head of the engineering department and he has emailed me back. We will be discussing this later this week or the first part of next week. I have found it is best to know everything I can when we discuss things because folks have a tendency to side step the issues with other information. I want to avoid that happening here.
Hi Vinny,

Just curious if you have any news from Newmar? I actually now have the situation I feared most. I just dumped, back washed and the KIB shows 100% and doesn't let me flush the toilets.

I will first try to add some water via the back flush, that sometimes resets the system. If that doesn't work I'll have to pull the plug on the sensors. Argh!!!!
Old 09-04-2018, 05:25 PM   #66

Quote:
Hi Vinny,

Just curious if you have any news from Newmar? I actually now have the situation I feared most. I just dumped, back washed and the KIB shows 100% and doesn't let me flush the toilets.

I will first try to add some water via the back flush, that sometimes resets the system. If that doesn't work I'll have to pull the plug on the sensors. Argh!!!!
Do you know where the control boards for the toilets are mounted, or are you going to disconnect/cut at the tank?
Old 09-04-2018, 07:11 PM   #67

Newmar Owners Club
In my DS 4369 the control module was behind the peg board in the basement, hanging on loose wires.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1962.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	382.6 KB
ID:	217687
Buly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 06:12 AM   #68

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buly View Post
In my DS 4369 the control module was behind the peg board in the basement, hanging on loose wires.Attachment 217687
On a 4369 the control board for the rear one is behind the cover on the back wall where the Oasis heater is.

But here is what has cured mine. Dump tank. One large bottle of dawn and poured about half into the toilet. Flushed several times. Then filled the holding tank up until the yellow light came on. Let it set over night. Dumped tank again. Flushed with water. Refilled to yellow light dumped it once again. Started using a product called Digest X as my additive. Supposed to be able to even digest regular toilet paper. Not that we do that. But since I did this have had zero problems. Reads empty every time I empty.
2016 Dutch Star 4018 Newmar #605899
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 06:57 AM   #69

Quote:
On a 4369 the control board for the rear one is behind the cover on the back wall where the Oasis heater is.

But here is what has cured mine. Dump tank. One large bottle of dawn and poured about half into the toilet. Flushed several times. Then filled the holding tank up until the yellow light came on. Let it set over night. Dumped tank again. Flushed with water. Refilled to yellow light dumped it once again. Started using a product called Digest X as my additive. Supposed to be able to even digest regular toilet paper. Not that we do that. But since I did this have had zero problems. Reads empty every time I empty.
I was wondering if it was behind the oasis grill. Does that just pull out? I might have missed it, but I didn't notice any screws.

Is it Rid X possibly, I'm not finding any Digest X.

After watching the video (possibly posted earlier in this thread) about cleaning/flushing the tank (he said to use Rid X) and reading someone who said a tech said to dump a cup of Pinesol/Calgon/Water mixture in each time, I've been thinking of going that route.

Rid-X treatment
Cup or two of Pinesole/Calgon mixture
Then, using the procedure he described which is dump, tank flush til clear, close black valve and then open after a minute, then close black valve and wait until tank is full (scary one for me), and then open, and if any particles still come out, repeat.

In that video, on an RV he said he uses that procedure with, he then showed turning the bathroom fan on with toilet valve open (empty, just cleaned tank) and said there was no odor.

This weekend on a new RV, I did do the dump, flush, close valve for about a minute and open, then close valve until it reached 20% and opened and on both of the open/close runs, I had a few particles come out, so I think there is something to this method, and again, this is on a brand new RV with less than a week of use on it.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:59 AM   #70

Quote:

P.S. On filling with Macerator toilet, is there a faster way than just a bunch of flushes? I guess you can fill the tank mostly full and then flush, which reduces the amount of flushing. If just straight flushing, I guess it would be 25-30 flushes to get to yellow.

Tags
black tank, monitor, tank