Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2018, 08:19 PM   #113
ARD

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
So the latest update on my sensors. When they took the coach, they filled and dumped the tanks several times and it was fine. I filled the black tank today and dumped and everything worked perfectly. Guess time will tell and I'll just have to wait and see how it goes. Maybe the sensor not showing the black tank full was just a little fluke. Sigh.

VP Chianese, I think we will need to agree to disagree. I do not think it is an issue with cleanliness, nor do I think the techs here believe that either. Certainly that may be the case with some coaches, but this is a known issue. I am meticulous about rinsing my tank twice every single time I dump and sometimes more, as well as using Happy Camper. Sadly, the clear elbow was helpful in that respects and with the "fix" I can no longer use it to help gauge what is happening in my tanks. Everyday in the waiting room, I hear about coaches having the same issue. Having said that, if what you are doing is working for you...that is fabulous. [emoji2]
ARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2018, 07:30 AM   #114

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARD View Post
VP Chianese, I think we will need to agree to disagree. I do not think it is an issue with cleanliness, nor do I think the techs here believe that either. Certainly that may be the case with some coaches, but this is a known issue. Sadly, the clear elbow was helpful in that respects and with the "fix" I can no longer use it to help gauge what is happening in my tanks. Everyday in the waiting room, I hear about coaches having the same issue. Having said that, if what you are doing is working for you...that is fabulous. [emoji2]

Sounds fine to me. I don't understand how a fix to the KIB system readout caused removal of the clear elbow. Could you explain.
2016 Dutch Star 4018 Newmar #605899
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 07:41 AM   #115

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Chianese View Post
Sounds fine to me. I don't understand how a fix to the KIB system readout caused removal of the clear elbow. Could you explain.
The fix refers to the sanicon fix, where they are shortening the hose, and removing the clear connection.

I am working with Jonas today to review this fix, and will decide if I am going to have him install on mine, or do it myself.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 03:36 PM   #116
ARD

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:

It didn’t. The removal of the clear elbow was in connection with the sanicon “fix” of the upside down pump.
Old 10-04-2018, 03:38 PM   #117
ARD

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
The fix refers to the sanicon fix, where they are shortening the hose, and removing the clear connection.

I am working with Jonas today to review this fix, and will decide if I am going to have him install on mine, or do it myself.

Jonas is great. You will be in good hands with him.
Old 10-04-2018, 03:52 PM   #118
ARD

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Today I was advised as others here who have posted that the sensor problems are a known issue to both Newmar and KIB. Some of the sensors are too sensitive and others are not sensitive enough. KIB continues to work on the problem with additional software updates. So far mine seems to be working okay. Will see how they hold out once I’m on the road again. I would suggest that if you are under warranty and have had problems with your sensors, it wouldn’t hurt to call customer service to have it documented in your file.
Old 10-05-2018, 09:08 AM   #119

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Today I was advised as others here who have posted that the sensor problems are a known issue to both Newmar and KIB. Some of the sensors are too sensitive and others are not sensitive enough. KIB continues to work on the problem with additional software updates. So far mine seems to be working okay. Will see how they hold out once I’m on the road again. I would suggest that if you are under warranty and have had problems with your sensors, it wouldn’t hurt to call customer service to have it documented in your file.
Good advice, thank you. I will call today.
Old 10-05-2018, 05:24 PM   #120

Newmar Owners Club
Blank tank reading issue

We had the same problem and brought up the issue when we were in Nappanee the first week of July. They changed the meter and the sensors, recalibrated and we still had the same issue. Newmar contacted the manufacturer and they sent the lead software engineer. After 3-4 days of testing and flushing the tanks we still had the problem. The engineer then did a software patch to make the sensor less sensitive. We have had no problems since the patch was installed.
LANDSUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 08:59 PM   #121
ARD

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by LANDSUB View Post
We had the same problem and brought up the issue when we were in Nappanee the first week of July. They changed the meter and the sensors, recalibrated and we still had the same issue. Newmar contacted the manufacturer and they sent the lead software engineer. After 3-4 days of testing and flushing the tanks we still had the problem. The engineer then did a software patch to make the sensor less sensitive. We have had no problems since the patch was installed.

Oh that’s great news. I hope I follow in your footsteps.
Old 10-25-2018, 06:54 AM   #122

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Oh that’s great news. I hope I follow in your footsteps.
OK so here we are 20 days later. Whats the status? Other than the last two posts with the " Program Patch" had theirs repaired at Newmar and the repair works. What was the repair and whose team did it?

My personal unit has reverted to reading incorrectly once again. But before everyone say's we told you so, a cup of dawn dish washing soap and refill of the tank with clean water, let set for a couple of hours, drain and re rinse with clean water, cures the problem for about a week or so. The point is that the cleaner the tank the better mine works up to a point. Yes I agree that is not right to have to dish wash a holding tank and it should be fixed properly. But I can live with this until a good final fix in in place.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:07 AM   #123

Newmar Owners Club
We just left Newmar and wee told this is a known issue and there's no fix yet. KIB is working on a software update.
Old 10-25-2018, 10:22 AM   #124
ARD

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
OK so here we are 20 days later. Whats the status? Other than the last two posts with the " Program Patch" had theirs repaired at Newmar and the repair works. What was the repair and whose team did it?

My personal unit has reverted to reading incorrectly once again. But before everyone say's we told you so, a cup of dawn dish washing soap and refill of the tank with clean water, let set for a couple of hours, drain and re rinse with clean water, cures the problem for about a week or so. The point is that the cleaner the tank the better mine works up to a point. Yes I agree that is not right to have to dish wash a holding tank and it should be fixed properly. But I can live with this until a good final fix in in place.

Well, I wish I had good news to report. As Randy and Donald said, the sensors are a known issue and KIB is working on it. There were several coaches in service with sensor issues.

My sensors went even more crazy after the software update. Additionally, the sensor readings went bonkers whenever I turned on the water pump. Since I was still in the area, I went back to Newmar and they (Jonas and his team) graciously fit me back in their schedule. They moved the wiring of the water pump and KIB came back out and new sensors were installed. My tech felt bad because they know they are having owners leave with no real fix to the erratic sensor readings. So far (only 5 days) everything is working well.
Old 10-26-2018, 08:18 AM   #125

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Well, I wish I had good news to report. As Randy and Donald said, the sensors are a known issue and KIB is working on it. There were several coaches in service with sensor issues.

My sensors went even more crazy after the software update. Additionally, the sensor readings went bonkers whenever I turned on the water pump. Since I was still in the area, I went back to Newmar and they (Jonas and his team) graciously fit me back in their schedule. They moved the wiring of the water pump and KIB came back out and new sensors were installed. My tech felt bad because they know they are having owners leave with no real fix to the erratic sensor readings. So far (only 5 days) everything is working well.
So far what I'm hearing as well so we sit and wait.
Old 11-04-2018, 07:18 AM   #126

Just to put this aspect of this issue to rest: Started using Happy Camper in my black tank several weeks ago in lieu of the off-the-shelf purple stuff, at the suggestion of a friend. My black tank tank readings are more accurate in that now it shows EMPTY consistently immediately after a dump/flush. That’s new and a definite improvement.

But the readings in the black tank are still erratic and can jump depending on the level of the fresh and grey water tanks. As an example, I have seen a 5% black tank reading jump to anywhere from 15% to 25% when I have dumped my grey water, even though nothing was added to the black tank.

Anecdotally, I can say that sludge build up on the walls could be one factor of this issue, but certainly not the entire fix as some on this forum would have you believe. BTW I also use it in my grey tank every third time. This Happy Camper stuff is organic, eats sludge build up, and may provide at least some additional reliability for your sensor readings until the whiz kids at KIB and Newmar can sort this problem out.
LostDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, monitor, tank