Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2013, 05:54 PM   #1
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Essex Chassis Battery Charging

Hello,
I just got my new to me 05 Essex and am trying to learn about it. Have a couple of questions:
1. Does shore power charge the chassis batteries?
2. Does it have a surge protector?
3. Has anyone re-carpeted/tiled/done hardwood the living room area? Would like to know where/cost, etc.

Thanks,
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2013, 06:28 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
Hello,
I just got my new to me 05 Essex and am trying to learn about it. Have a couple of questions:
3. Has anyone re-carpeted/tiled/done hardwood the living room area? Would like to know where/cost, etc.

Thanks,
Not as Essex owner but I can weigh in on the flooring. We had our complete floor replaced from the firewall to the bedroom step up. Master Tech RV in Elkhart, IN did the work and I recommend them with no reservations. The workmanship is excellent and they are very professional and helpful. We stayed in the coach all but 3 nights during the process. We've lived with the new floor for 2 years now and love it.

Call for Jack Harris at: 574-320-0163.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:03 PM   #3

SRH We have an 04 Essex and yes both chassis and coach batteries should be charging when engine running, shore power with inveter/converter on and generator on.
Our Essex didn't come with a surge protector and we add on which was hard wired in electric service compartment. We love our Essex and Do think you will too. Tom
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:11 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Congratulations on your new to you ESSEX as said by Tom your BIRD System will maintain all your batteries.
you need to take a look at QT's 1 & 2 plus the new # 3.
Allot of your questions will be answered there.
You could possibly have a surge protector if installed by previous owner you need to check your incoming 50 amp service line and see if you may have one of these types.
As far as new carpet take a look at this.
Or do it yourself.
All this information is in the QT's links.
Here is a Owners Guide for your 05 Essex.
After all this you can go to the COM_NET2 link and with your coach build # or your Vin# use instructions in link and find out all that was put in your coach.
Good luck with your coach and we will be here for any more questions.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:44 PM   #5
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";1529277]Congratulations on your new to you ESSEX as said by Tom [URL="http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/does-the-b-i-r-d-charge-chassis-batteries-79681-3.html#post801364
your BIRD System[/URL] will maintain all your batteries.
you need to take a look at QT's 1 & 2 plus the new # 3.
Allot of your questions will be answered there.
You could possibly have a surge protector if installed by previous owner you need to check your incoming 50 amp service line and see if you may have one of these types.
As far as new carpet take a look at this.
Or do it yourself.
All this information is in the QT's links.
Here is a Owners Guide for your 05 Essex.
I very much appreciate the "welcome" and the helpful suggestions, from all, and the links. Now, I have some ideas as to what BIRD is and does. Related to, comes another question to mind, that is what is the best way to maintain the batteries (both house and chassis) by using shore power all the time or a trickle charger, like Battery Minder, when the coach is in storage?
Regards to All!
Old 04-12-2013, 10:28 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
No trickle charger on your coach, BIRD does it all if you have shore line plugged into a 110 outlet will charge house first than your chassis batteries.
While your driving coach works in reverse from your alternator.
You have some reading to do.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:35 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
Hello,

Thanks,
Not to hijack this thread, but we have also added a 2005 Essex 4103 to our list of coaches for consideration. DW loves the floor plan/decor but I am wary of the 500ISM's thirst for fuel.

Have you driven your new-to-you coach enough to determine you actual fuel mileage?

PM me if you don't want to clog this thread. Thanks.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:23 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Please place your answer here we do not know maybe someone else is watching but doesn't want to post we have many viewers in the background.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:55 AM   #9
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Essex Mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Not to hijack this thread, but we have also added a 2005 Essex 4103 to our list of coaches for consideration. DW loves the floor plan/decor but I am wary of the 500ISM's thirst for fuel.

Have you driven your new-to-you coach enough to determine you actual fuel mileage?

I drove it for the first time around 1,400 mi. Because of its bigger engine it takes off almost like a car. Using the system computer, it showed 6.2 mpg - I was getting around 7 on my 07 Tiffin Bus that had 400 HP Cummins. Believe me, the 500 ISM on the K2 Spartan chassis drives a lot nicer than the Bus. Furthermore, it has a much nicer and comfortable interior. The mileage sacrifice, in my view, is definitely worth it. Let me know if you have further questions.
Good Luck With Search and Selection!
Old 04-13-2013, 08:59 AM   #10
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
No trickle charger on your coach, BIRD does it all if you have shore line plugged into a 110 outlet will charge house first than your chassis batteries.
While your driving coach works in reverse from your alternator.
You have some reading to do.
Thank you for your insight. So, when storing the coach, do you leave it plugged in to shore power all the time, or periodically? If periodically, how often and for how long?

Regards,
Old 04-13-2013, 11:46 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
My coach sits in the driveway next to house and has been plugged in all winter.
My house are AGM's and I have the original chassis battery from 03.
Coach sits there since OCT last year and just took it to NH. to get a manifold job done and coach started right up without hesitation, sure felt good back in the seat.
I would run Gen every month plus the AC's to make them happy but the coach just slept thru it all.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:50 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post

We purchased our 05 Essex in Nov of 2011, it has the 500 Cummins.
It was getting 6.2 miles to the gal (running genset and towing), then the fuel milage went down to 5.7 mpg. When I took it in for my 10,000 mile, they found that the EGR tubes were clogged and the EGR valve was stuck open, which they fixed and replaced. The last time we checked it was back up to 6.2 mpg, but that was on a tank that was half bad EGR and half new EGR.

As far as the Essex, it is our first Rv, so we can't really compare from ownership, but it is a fine ride and has quality workmanship.

Good luck to everyone with their 05's.

Tags
battery, charging, chassis