Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2008, 04:39 PM   #1

I have lost power to certain components in the front part of a 2008 Essex. The problem seems to be isolated to certain items fed from the 12v outside compartment on the front drivers side. I can not open the generator compartment using the power switch. No power to the drivers or passenger seats. No power to the keyless entry or door locks. Generator will not start using the dash switch (can not check generator start from the outside since I can not open the generator compartment).

In the 12v outside compartment by the driver I measured 16.65 volts this afternoon on the main 12v feeder pole in this compartment. On the main battery pole on one of the boards to ground I also read 16.65 volts. Inside the coach on the panels I read battery voltage of about 12.6 volts unless charging and then I read more but never over about 13 volts. On the battery banks themself I read 12.6 volts across one set of batteries and 12.3 volts on the parallel set. Individual batteries were 6.2 to 6.5 volts.

I just read the voltage again in the outside 12 volt compartment and the voltage is now only 2.6 volts (dropped from 16.65 and will probably go to zero by tommorrow).

I get no change in voltage readings on the feeder pole by shutting off the inverter using the panel or by disconnecting from shore power.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Gene

2009 Essex (4502), 2005 Jeep
Gene & Kaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2008, 04:39 PM   #2

I have lost power to certain components in the front part of a 2008 Essex. The problem seems to be isolated to certain items fed from the 12v outside compartment on the front drivers side. I can not open the generator compartment using the power switch. No power to the drivers or passenger seats. No power to the keyless entry or door locks. Generator will not start using the dash switch (can not check generator start from the outside since I can not open the generator compartment).

In the 12v outside compartment by the driver I measured 16.65 volts this afternoon on the main 12v feeder pole in this compartment. On the main battery pole on one of the boards to ground I also read 16.65 volts. Inside the coach on the panels I read battery voltage of about 12.6 volts unless charging and then I read more but never over about 13 volts. On the battery banks themself I read 12.6 volts across one set of batteries and 12.3 volts on the parallel set. Individual batteries were 6.2 to 6.5 volts.

I just read the voltage again in the outside 12 volt compartment and the voltage is now only 2.6 volts (dropped from 16.65 and will probably go to zero by tommorrow).

I get no change in voltage readings on the feeder pole by shutting off the inverter using the panel or by disconnecting from shore power.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Gene

Old 04-06-2008, 04:56 PM   #3

I had somewhat the same problem in my 2007 TS Limited after a lengthy search had a solenoid that was bad... had appr 3 volts thought I lost the ground...
turbo24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 04:59 PM   #4

I have had similar problems, but not at the same time. Since I know my limitations, I call Carl, who usually transfers me to Tom. We usually solve, or temporarily fix the problem, until someone with more skills than I can look at it.
For instance, when the driver seat lost power, it was found to be a loose connection on the switch connector (needed a few turns with an Allen wrench) inside that outside compartment in the front by the driver.
The lights/functions on the dash went out, and that was a different issue (disconnected wire under the dash).
Never had the generator not open, but had a faulty slide switch drain the batteries(twice) before we could find it.
We have now had the coach two years(next month), and everything has been working since we picked it up 2 weeks ago from an excellent service facilty.
soricobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 02:30 AM   #5
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
As Bob posted, a call to Carl is the place to start.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 08:27 AM   #6

I did call Carl and he put me on a conference call with Tom. Tom can not explain the high voltage but expects a loose connection on the main wiring from the batteries to this distribution box. At Tom's suggesstion, I jumped from my car battery to the main poles in this distribution panel. I could then get power to the seats, bay doors, and keyless entry. I still could not open the generator compartment to fix the loose connections.

Next step is to move the Coach to an area where I can get under the front of the Coach and try to bleed off the HWH hydralic fluid to allow the generator compartment to be manually pulled out. I can then check the electrical connections on the back side of the main 12v pole and hopefully fix the problem.

Thanks to all who posted.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:00 AM   #7

Before you bleed the HWH to open the genslide, make sure that the jumpered connection was/is very tight/good. That HWH has a very high starting amp draw and if that connection is not rock solid you won't get the amps to start the HWH slide and it will appear to be dead in the water.

If everything else powered up on the jumper (all these are very low amp draws) one should expect the HWH slide to operate as well - if it got enough amps.

I too am very curious about the 16.6 volts. There is no explanation or logic for that. Please post a follow up if you learn more...
Old 04-08-2008, 09:06 PM   #8

When I was at Camp Newmar a few weeks ago they found that my HWH system was not tight where it was bolted to the frame. They told me that is how this system grounds, and I was about to have a problem with the jacks or gen slide. I told them that the gen slide didn't work the day before I got there, but I assumed it was frozen shut from ice.
Just a thought to check real quick. I believe it's just a couple of bolts.

CSX4350 is offline   Reply With Quote