Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2007, 12:24 PM   #1

Next week I do a preacceptance on a new 2008 Essex. I told the dealer as part of my test drive I wanted to do four corner weights on the Coach at the nearest weight station. The dealer informed me that Newmar has already done the four corner weight and he could get me the data.

I got the data today and the front axle was all he was able to provide me because apparently the fax was not good quality from Newmar. The front left was 7975 and the front right was 6195. The maximum allowable on a front corner is 8300 so on one side I was within 325 lbs of maximum. When I get into the drivers seat at 225 lbs that only leaves 100 lbs for fuel. Needless to say, I was very disappointed that Newmar let the Coach get out from the factory with an 1800 lbs delta on the front axle. I have requested that the Coach be sent tomorrow to Spartan (50 miles from the dealer) and have the ride height properly adjusted and to realign all axles.

Has anyone experienced this problem on a new Coach? What is the allowable delta on the front wheel axle weights? I would think we should be able to get a new Coach within 200 lbs delta between the right and left side. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2009 Essex (4502), 2005 Jeep
Gene & Kaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2007, 12:24 PM   #2

Next week I do a preacceptance on a new 2008 Essex. I told the dealer as part of my test drive I wanted to do four corner weights on the Coach at the nearest weight station. The dealer informed me that Newmar has already done the four corner weight and he could get me the data.

I got the data today and the front axle was all he was able to provide me because apparently the fax was not good quality from Newmar. The front left was 7975 and the front right was 6195. The maximum allowable on a front corner is 8300 so on one side I was within 325 lbs of maximum. When I get into the drivers seat at 225 lbs that only leaves 100 lbs for fuel. Needless to say, I was very disappointed that Newmar let the Coach get out from the factory with an 1800 lbs delta on the front axle. I have requested that the Coach be sent tomorrow to Spartan (50 miles from the dealer) and have the ride height properly adjusted and to realign all axles.

Has anyone experienced this problem on a new Coach? What is the allowable delta on the front wheel axle weights? I would think we should be able to get a new Coach within 200 lbs delta between the right and left side. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-13-2007, 12:47 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
First of all, I'm impressed by your thoroughness in purchasing. I will add this to my list of things to check out when buying my next coach.

Second, I have heard/read about this being a problem on some of the heavier coaches. It isn't talked about much by Newmar or other manufacturers, (for obvious reasons I guess).

Third, I had to spend an inordinate amount of time at Spartan last winter. Got to know the people there pretty well. They said many manufacturers let coaches out w/out properly adjusting/checking the chassis. Having them do the check before delivery is a great idea.

50 miles from Spartan - are you buying in Grand Rapids?
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 12:48 PM   #4

Hi Gene,
It was my understanding that Newmar does not do a four corner weight at the factory. If they do I want to get mine.
Thanks, Daryl
Old 12-13-2007, 12:52 PM   #5
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
It is not unusual for a new coach to be unbalanced, and it should not have been sent out that way.

I believe Spartan's tolerance for side to side unbalance is 5% of the axle capacity.

A trip to Spartan would be in order.

After your coach is loaded, it can be impossible to get both side very close.

This is the nature of airbag suspended vehicles.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 12:55 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Newmar does indeed weigh all 4 corners at the factory.

That is when the weight label in the kitchen cabinet is generated.

Those weights are not provided to the customer, but can be obtained by your dealer or a factory rep.

Old 12-13-2007, 01:04 PM   #7

Yes, we are getting the Essex at Grand Rapids. We are sooo looking forward to getting the new Coach. We now have a 2001 Mountain Aire which we have loved, but it is time to upgrade. I think the delta on the front axle weight was a hickup for Newmar that they want to correct as soon as possible. I have talked to the high line folks (Carl Snider) and he seemed very embarrassed that the Coach got out with that delta. I will spend 2 and a half days on the preacceptance next week and I hope I can't find a single additional item to correct.

Gene

Old 12-13-2007, 01:14 PM   #8

Dirk,

Would you think I should take 5% of the corner weight maximum of 8300 lbs or about 400 lbs delta or 5% of the total axle maximum of 16,600 lbs which would give a delta of about 800 lbls? I would sure like the axle delta to be less than 400 lbs if possible. Then I may be able to get a better delta through proper loading of my treaures in the bay.

Gene

Old 12-13-2007, 01:20 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I believe the spec is 5% of the 16,600 axle capacity for an allowable 830 difference in the front.

It's my understanding that trying to obtain a real good balance is somewhat more art than science.

Spartan got my coach within spec, but to get it any closer to nearly equal from side to side, the coach would have leaned to one side, so there is some compromise involved.

Old 12-14-2007, 01:54 AM   #10

Earlier this year Spartan adjusted the ride height on our rig and ended up with a large delta in front, so much so that 120#'s was needed in the front right tire. I've forgotten the exact numbers, but the right front was over 8,000#'s and the left front was under 7,000#'s. I took the coach back to Nappanee and Randy was able to make adjustments within allowable tolerances that evened out the front side to side to within a few hundred pounds. YEAH RANDY!!

The big thing I learned here is that when getting the ride height adjusted the delta is definately being changed and this may mean that different tire pressures could be required. My plan is to only have this work done at a shop that willing and able to do both adjustment and weighing.

I was very satisfied with the other work Spartan did but was extreemly disappointed that they didn't seem concerned about the 1000# + delta.
racer0624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 02:11 AM   #11

We also were heavier on one side, although within the 5% limits, both Newmar and Spartan said no problem(so far seems ok). We had our coach weighed three times when picking it up at the factory.
The first was their normal weighing. 2nd was after we added our furniture(ordered it without furniture). 3rd was after we added our junk(was in storage at the factory-accross the street). Most manufacturers do not weigh their coaches.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:40 AM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">That is when the weight label in the kitchen cabinet is generated.

Those weights are not provided to the customer, but can be obtained by your dealer or a factory rep. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm confused. If the weight label is in the cabinet, doesn't that provide it to the customer?
Old 12-14-2007, 02:43 AM   #13
Administrator Emeritus

Ken, the overall weight front and rear are provided, not the four corner weight...

I had to stop and re-read that one myself!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 05:29 AM   #14

My 2005 Dutch Star arrived from Newmar with the weights on axle ends way off and with a rough ride. I won't go into full details, but my motorhome was weighed by wheel position four time the first four months I owned it. Spartan gave me new air bags, new shocks and larger front tires.

My front axle was heavier on one side by 1,200 pounds and the rear whell on the other side was about 850 pounds heavier. Spartan adjusted the ride height and then "tweaked" it a bit so my axle weights were within 200 pounds side to side.