Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2021, 06:02 AM   #15

To the poster looking for a backup 400ECM you may have an additional 350ECM in your coach (ours does) that is used for all the lighting control.
This unit is mounted in another location and uses a bridge eplex module for the main ECM to talk to it.
This is how our 2008 King Aire is setup.

Larry
MBBeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2021, 05:49 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Hopefully no surprises

I just ordered 3 new Penguin II ac units and will be having them installed in Lubbock, TX on June 2nd. I also ordered 4 new temp sensors and the 10 button Dometic controller. I doubt the shop in Lubbock has any idea of what I am trying to do but I am hoping they will work with me on running the temp sensors through the ducts. I also recall there will be an issue with no 12V to the back unit, is that correct? I think someone said that could also be run through the ducts from the #2 unit back to the 3rd. Just wanting to cover my bases, I hope. Anything else that I should be thinking about?
Old 05-17-2021, 09:23 PM   #17

Search posts by bruceisla. He did the AC upgrade back in 2018 or so. He noticed the 12v problem.

You only need 3 sensors. However, you will need a new controller for the furnace which is located in zone 3 area. It is a silver box mounted under a sink in my coach.

I am not a fan of running cables through the ducts. I chose to run them on the roof and then through the roof into a cabinet. And then through the cabinets to get to a suitable location near the original location.

MBBeachbum's post on 5/7 brings up an interesting point. His coach was wired with eplex and Dometic sensors.

My coach appeared to be wired for both at the AC unit. I had 2 cables at the AC. One was eplex and one was something else. I was very confused. I never could find the other end of the Dometic sensor, so I assumed it was in the wall and out of reach.

You might look at your ac unit to verify you have 2 connectors, one in use and the other just there. If so, then try to find the end of the unused sensor cable.
Old 05-17-2021, 10:31 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
I am thinking 4 sensors, one for each zone? Is that wrong? And why do I need to change out the box in the bathroom? Is that because of the CCC2 thermostat? Any idea of the part number I would need?

I read about the second set of sensors. That will be interesting to check. Why do you not like the duct placement of the temp sensor? I can imagine it might read slightly higher than the actual temp as it is on the ceiling but I would assume that to be relative and adaptable to figure out. As we are on the road I am not comfortable in trying to rout all those cables with minimal tools and time. I imagine that can all be changed at a later time when I am in a better spot.
WA-MEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 10:11 AM   #19

06 Essex 4502

Does anyone know if this will work on a 2006 4502. My E-Plex system is costing me a fortune trying to repair. It seems like every time we do a remote secession something else comes up with an error. My A/C's have a mind of there own and have worked intermittently for the past year.
Davis bigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 10:39 AM   #20

06 Essex 4502

My apologies it appears that azSkier has a 2006 is that correct? Also if I'm in a pinch and can't get the other sensors in right away if I use the 5 wire as having only one zone will it work all of the A?C's or no?
Davis bigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 05:18 PM   #21

Hi MBBEACHBUM, I added a Dometic 5 button thermostat to byuthe eplex system just like you did to my 2006 Newmar Essex 4508 Coach. The three A/C’s with heat pumps seem to be working great. But when I try to switch to furnace my “hydro hot system” the floor fans seem to be not working to blow out hot air!? Is yours working on your Coach?
mnorlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 05:42 AM   #22

Adding the 5 button controller should maintain all functionality. The furnace should work normally.
Old 09-14-2022, 02:31 PM   #23

E-Plex Sensor routing

Quote:
Originally Posted by azSkier View Post
Beware the newer CC2 is not compatible with your original AC units. To use that controller will require some upgrades.

The dometic cable is rj11. If the existing cable is too short, then you will need to extend it. If you go to home depot and get an extender cable, it will not work. You will need a null cable, not the data cable. Something about pins 2 and 3 being swapped on one end. You can get the null cable from sellers on Amazon.
Great right up on replacing your AC units!

I all so have a 2006 Essex 4502 and I have #1 AC unit down, and like everyone else I am thinking of trashing the E-plex for the CCC,
My question is if the sensors have to be replaced with new, is it possible to splice into the old wires and just replace the sensor end?
Or are the original sensor cables run to something else - other than the AC unit?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Mark
Mpasella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 09:35 PM   #24

Mark. No.

The cables are completely different. The sensors you need plug into the ac on the roof and run to a location inside. point to point.. The eplex sensors are wired as a daisy chain an communicate on a bus.
Old 10-25-2022, 09:25 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Just realized that my furnace is not working as it should. I changed the dip switch on zone 3 for furnace operation and I have heat in both bathrooms but I have no heat anyplace else using the furnace. I am reading that there should be a furnace option on zone 1 and maybe 2 or 4 but will that work with eplex out of the system? I flip the switch for the fan up front next to the aqua hot but hear no fan and have no heat. Any ideas if a dip switch change on the ac units will make this magically come to life?
Old 10-26-2022, 04:41 AM   #26

Wa-Mex,
On my unit I set the dip switches in this order
unit 1 zone 1 DP - furnace only
Unit 2 zone 2 DP - zone 2
Zone 3 bathroom DP - zone 3 and furnace
Unit 3 zone 4 DP - zone 4 and furnace

Did you replace ALL the temp sensors?
Mpasella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 08:58 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
I am having a hard time understanding this. Maybe you didn’t use a heat pump at each location? I have 3 heat pumps on the roof. If I am understanding correctly this is what you changed to dip switches to on the ac units and the box in the center bath. What year is your coach? Is zone 4 furnace for the bedroom? I am trying to understand why the fan switch next to the hydro hot controls does not do anything. I’m not sure where it would get its power with the eplex out of the system. I guess that would apply to power to the zone pump for the front also?

Yes I replaced the temp sensors. They are wired to the ac units and the hydro hot box in the bathroom. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpasella View Post
Wa-Mex,
On my unit I set the dip switches in this order
unit 1 zone 1 DP - furnace only
Unit 2 zone 2 DP - zone 2
Zone 3 bathroom DP - zone 3 and furnace
Unit 3 zone 4 DP - zone 4 and furnace

Did you replace ALL the temp sensors?
WA-MEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 09:54 AM   #28

Essex HVAC ePlex to Dometic Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by WA-MEX View Post
I am having a hard time understanding this. Maybe you didn’t use a heat pump at each location? I have 3 heat pumps on the roof. If I am understanding correctly this is what you changed to dip switches to on the ac units and the box in the center bath. What year is your coach? Is zone 4 furnace for the bedroom? I am trying to understand why the fan switch next to the hydro hot controls does not do anything. I’m not sure where it would get its power with the eplex out of the system. I guess that would apply to power to the zone pump for the front also?

Yes I replaced the temp sensors. They are wired to the ac units and the hydro hot box in the bathroom. Thank you.

On my 2008 Essex, my living room zone 1 is furnace/cool , my kitchen zone is cool only, my bedroom is furnace/cool and my bathroom zone is furnace only. Not sure if yours would be the same. Note however that my kitchen AC has heat pump Ability, but it doesn’t have a furnace zone. Heat pump and furnace are 2 different modes
Wschep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, dometic, essex