RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2020, 05:05 PM   #1

Essex, or taking the next step to a Foretravel or Newell?

[moderator edit] I'm really looking for some knowledgeable advice!

Three years ago we sold our house and bought a new 2018 London Aire. We travel the country full time, spending 2 to 4 weeks somewhere and then moving on. We love the lifestyle and plan on continuing it for many years to come. Our plan was to trade our LA in on a 2022 King Aire . . . but the 2021 KA has killed that idea. It's not the price, but rather the fact that the new KA is not designed to live in full time. It's a "show" RV for entertaining, not really designed to be "home" fulltime.

So now I'm considering a fully loaded Essex, or taking the next step to a Foretravel or Newell. I've read the bashing or needling or criticism of folks who buy new, so it's not really necessary for you to pile on me, too. I do plan to buy new, and I'm really looking for advice on the choices I've mentioned. I am very familiar with Newmar, and I’ve been very happy with them. Do I venture into the unknown with Foretravel or Newell, or do I stick with the Newmar that I know?

Thank you!
Ehochuli85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2020, 07:59 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Ed.....a Newell would be my dream coach and if I could afford it, I'd owned one. You get to fly in and sit down with designers and make the coach you want.

Notice how I said if I could afford one. I wanted a Mountain Aire versus the DS, but it was out of my price range and I would not have been comfortable with the payments. I didn't want an older version, I wanted a new version of what my budget could handle. So rather than justify with a dozen excuses as to why I didn't buy one, I simply said......I couldn't afford one. I wish more be people would be that honest about why they buy used, rather than criticize those that buy new.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 07:01 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehochuli85 View Post
I hope I'm not "off-thread" here, but I'm really looking for some knowledgeable advice!

Three years ago we sold our house and bought a new 2018 London Aire. We travel the country full time, spending 2 to 4 weeks somewhere and then moving on. We love the lifestyle and plan on continuing it for many years to come. Our plan was to trade our LA in on a 2022 King Aire . . . but the 2021 KA has killed that idea. It's not the price, but rather the fact that the new KA is not designed to live in full time. It's a "show" RV for entertaining, not really designed to be "home" fulltime.

So now I'm considering a fully loaded Essex, or taking the next step to a Foretravel or Newell. I've read the bashing or needling or criticism of folks who buy new, so it's not really necessary for you to pile on me, too. I do plan to buy new, and I'm really looking for advice on the choices I've mentioned. I am very familiar with Newmar, and I’ve been very happy with them. Do I venture into the unknown with Foretravel or Newell, or do I stick with the Newmar that I know?

Thank you!
I think that coming from a LA the jump to a Newell it’s a little wide price alone a 2021 it’s 1.9M a Prevost 2.5M Newmar and Newell they both have its differences, as much as I like Newmar, Newell offers a different perspective in confort, and refinements, if you ever watched a video on the Newell construction you be sold, but it’s not without issues, no question the initial cost it’s much higher, the cost of maintenance and repairs are higher, where you stay it’s also more exclusive therefore more expensive ( I doubt you would see I a 2m Prevost at Walmart) I would say it’s definitely a life style change I would say it’s more parallel to the Prevost category it’s more like the Ritz and less like the Hilton if you know what I mean. Go visit a Newell, a Prevost and maybe the Foretravel Realm and have fun in whatever you choose of course it’s just my opinion

Zzotte
Old 10-29-2020, 01:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehochuli85 View Post
[moderator edit]

Our plan was to trade our LA in on a 2022 King Aire . . . but the 2021 KA has killed that idea. It's not the price, but rather the fact that the new KA is not designed to live in full time. It's a "show" RV for entertaining, not really designed to be "home" fulltime.
My wife & I had the same observation....

While at a large RV show, researching for a purchase of a modest Class A, Canyon Star toy hauler.... We eventually decided to go into a couple of the much higher priced lines that were on display...

I wasn't all that impressed... They were way too "glitzy" for my taste... I wouldn't have felt comfortable in any of the $500K+ motorhomes we saw....

My wife made the comment, "I'd feel like I was staying in a fancy Las Vegas Hotel Suite....!!"

They were most certainly too rich for our bank accounts.... but also too "much" for our taste...
Old 10-29-2020, 03:02 PM   #5

All new Newells are custom built for the owner, you normally go to the factory and sit down with the staff and pick out the features, appliances, slides, colors, materials, etc. you want, and they built it to your specs. Will normally take 6 months to a year for delivery. Haven't owned a new one, but the used one I had was the best coach I have ever owned.
Old 10-29-2020, 07:05 PM   #6

An option is to find a Marathon or Millennium Prevost conversion that is used. A 4 slide bath and half may be found for 600 to 700k. Then have it redone by the factory with a typical cost of $250,000 for an updated interior.

That's an option if you were in the 1 mil mark.

I do agree with your summary, some newer coaches are showpieces vs a full time living option.
Old 10-29-2020, 08:05 PM   #7

Essex or taking the next step

For us it was not affordability. We owned a 2012 Essex. Happy with it and Newmar. I do not know much about Foretravel but just do not like the exterior body style. I have numerous close friends that currently own or used own a Newell. So I knew that Newell was not for me. In late 2018, we went to Nappanee and customized a 2019 Essex. We were able to get all but two KA features we wanted in a 2019 Essex. We could not justify the additional $150k difference (in 2019) to move up to the KA. We shopped our coach with five dealers and took factory delivery in April of 2019. A few minor issues resolved and now RVing happily ever after.
Old 10-29-2020, 08:32 PM   #8

Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Newell is the bomb. If I could afford one I'd be driving one. Since I can't my DS will do just fine. Love the tech that they put in their coaches. Good luck on your search.
Johninar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 12:39 AM   #9

Thank you all for your helpful comments, and if anyone has any more thoughts about Essex vs. Newell, please bring 'em on! Thank you!!!
Ehochuli85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 01:38 AM   #10

Foretravel Owners Club
We haven't wore out our Foretravel yet..It's a '02 320 w/tag.....It may outlast us..
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 05:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Ed.....a Newell would be my dream coach and if I could afford it, I'd owned one. You get to fly in and sit down with designers and make the coach you want.

Notice how I said if I could afford one. I wanted a Mountain Aire versus the DS, but it was out of my price range and I would not have been comfortable with the payments. I didn't want an older version, I wanted a new version of what my budget could handle. So rather than justify with a dozen excuses as to why I didn't buy one, I simply said......I couldn't afford one. I wish more be people would be that honest about why they buy used, rather than criticize those that buy new.
Hey we read your message and we are considering getting a Dutch Star and considering towing a Ford F-150 but can you tell me if you have problems pulling hills while towing that Raptor?
Skyskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 05:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninar View Post
Newell is the bomb. If I could afford one I'd be driving one. Since I can't my DS will do just fine. Love the tech that they put in their coaches. Good luck on your search.
We are considering getting a Dutch Star and a Ford F-150 and want to know do you have any problems on hills while tow that truck?
Skyskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 09:38 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Towing a 2016 F150 with a 2019 DS4362. No issues on hills. Cruise control and engine brake do all the work.
Old 11-06-2020, 03:26 AM   #14

We owned a Travel Supreme Select and it was a great coach. In July we purchased a used Newell. The difference is amazing. The drive and ride is more comfortable. Its quieter. More solid built. Living area bigger. A lot of little things that add up. It came with a two year warranty. And, they have a 24 hour service hotline which is very nice. Weve utilized the warranty and hotline and those have been pleasant experiences. If youre seriously considering a Newell, Id urge you to go to the factory in Miami Oklahoma for the tour and look at several coaches on the lot. We live 30 minutes from the factory and Id be happy to discuss our experience in detail if youd want too.
2013 Newell #1472
2006 Travel Supreme Select
Dale F is offline   Reply With Quote