Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2016, 07:01 PM   #1

Essex vs. Dutch Star

Hope this question is ok on the site... My wife and I have decided to buy a used Newmar... She likes the 2007 Essex and I like the newer Dutch Star... For you Newmar owners, if for the same money you could have either one, which one would be the Best Buy? Any opinions are welcome... Thank you

Joe & Diana
Gunk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2016, 07:30 PM   #2

Hello and welcome! What year is the Dutch Star you are pitting against the Essex?
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:35 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have had two DSDP's and wish we had bought a third Newmar!
Essex will usually have a bigger engine, ISM 500 vs ISL 400, 425 or 450. Essex will have higher grade woodwork and extra's like lighting.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:39 PM   #4

Welcome to the Newmar family! First off- comparing a 2007 Essex to a newer Dutch Star would normally be like comparing a Cadillac to a Chevrolet. However,with Newmars recent (last 10 years) model upgrades & enhancements the differences are not that great today. If you were to buy a new or 1 year old Dutch Star all electric coach you will have many of the features & amenities of the 2007 Essex or better. The newer DS will probably have the same size or bigger Hp diesel engine as the 2007 Essex. You would also have newer up to date electronics controls, residential refridge & maybe even Comfort Drive?

Cons of 2007 Essex-The 2005- 2008 Luxury models had problems with exterior sidewall checking which can be a huge repair costs. Some of the Spartan Chassis had issues with the gearbox drive for the side mounted radiator cooling fan. Pros of 2007 Essex-The 2007 Essex will have the Spartan K2 chassis which is a heavier frame with greater basement storage height. It will also get better mileage than the newer DEF equipped diesels in the newer Dutch Stars.

I personally would buy the newer Dutch Star because it's newer, & will have greater resale value proportionally Vs. the 2007 Essex which is already 10 years old!

Good Luck & Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:58 PM   #5

Looking at the 2013-2015 Dutch Stars... Would like to find a 40' with the tag axle for sale by private owner... They look really nice to me... Thanks...
Gunk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:20 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Color Me DSDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunk2 View Post
Hope this question is ok on the site... My wife and I have decided to buy a used Newmar... She likes the 2007 Essex and I like the newer Dutch Star... For you Newmar owners, if for the same money you could have either one, which one would be the Best Buy? Any opinions are welcome... Thank you

Joe & Diana
I'm still a Newmar virgin; but, a close friend loves his Essex (we're taking it on a 100-mile errand tomorrow). For a couple, I like the two shorter Dutch Stars. My wife and I are planning to buy a 2015 DSDP in four or five years, to replace our 45' Patriot Thunder.
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 07:36 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Floor plan makes the coach. You will love or hate the coach based on the floor plan.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 08:08 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What a great question......here is my take.

I came close to upgrading from an older Dutch Star to newer model year Essex.

I re-looked at things. How do I use this coach? Where do I go?

Although we like the finer things in life - we also like the simpler, finer things.

Let me try and explain - we use our motor coach all the time during the "season". We do many state parks here in Indiana. Not all state parks are created equal. Some parks I have a black top drive and pad to relax on. On the other hand, some state parks I have a gravel drive and a grass/dirt place to relax on. We like them both.

With some of the beautiful Newmar top of the line models, I may feel uncomfortable coming in with out door clothes and "dirt". We take our shoes off and are pretty neat for a couple of old soldiers, but the outside somehow gets inside.

I can't imagine coming in from the rain with a mud-hole outside our door to one of the magnificent top of the line Newmar rolling palaces on wheels.........

The Dutch Star fills the need for us - a fancy coach, lots of amenities to make "camping" comfortable without feeling too luxurious ........ But yet luxurious!!

When on the road traveling, we stay at private camp grounds, including KOAs, again - a mix of different parking surfaces......we rarely seem to go to to an area that boasts an RV resort where some of the high end Newmars fit right in.

It works for us and am in the process of looking for that Dutch Star made just for us.......

This is only my view of course.....

Good luck,

g
Old 03-23-2016, 08:28 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Well, I am going to be careful not to slop up my coach whether it is at the bottom of the lineup or at the top. To me that's not a reason to pick one coach over another. If you are saying you prefer a more basic coach to a fancier one, that I can understand. Everybody's taste is different.

I agree with GaryKD, floorplan is the most important factor. Next is drive. Drive them both and see if that makes a big difference to you. Then there are the little things: basement storage, cabinets, electronics. There are so many variables that each coach has its own plusses and minus. Each is a compromise, and each person needs to decide which compromise is best for him or her. You really cannot figure all this out online or on paper. It is only a hands-on exercise that will reveal many of the the true pros and cons to you.

By the way, a 2007 Essex has Comfort Drive, as do all the newer Dutch Stars.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dutch star