RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2013, 11:54 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Essex wasn't winterized

Hi, we are wondering what all would have to be replaced/repaired if an Essex wasn't winterized and froze up over winter? Is it possible to repair the damage, and could it be diy? How expensive to repair? I am thinking the tanks and water-lines, shouldn't have to worry about the Aqua-hot, eh? Then there is possible damage to walls, floors, etc. Not sure if the unit was winterized last fall, don't think so. Its in Canada.

MariannRobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2013, 12:10 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Only one way to find out is add water in fresh water tank and pump slowly to add pressure to pipe system and look for leaks, shut off pump.
The Aqua should be ok it has anti in system.
If you look in QT's 1 & 2 plus # 3 you will find information to help you.
A lot of the plumbing is in the insulate floors and if the system was air blown out there may not be much of a problem except the toilet valves or faucets.
No plumbing in walls you will see the pipes above floor level in cabinets in bath and kitchen areas.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:59 PM   #3

The only way that the AquaHot is ok is if it was turned on and either the electric or diesel burner keeping the unit temp up. Otherwise, if there was freshwater in the hot water loop inside the AquaHot, the freshwater loop could have frozen and may be compromised and require a very expensive rebuild.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";1530007]Only one way to find out is add water in fresh water tank and pump slowly to add pressure to pipe system and look for leaks, shut off pump.
The Aqua should be ok it has anti in system.
If you look in [URL="http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/original-part-1-and-2-quick-tips-and-easy-mods-18509.html
QT's 1 & 2[/URL] plus # 3 you will find information to help you.
A lot of the plumbing is in the insulate floors and if the system was air blown out there may not be much of a problem except the toilet valves or faucets.
No plumbing in walls you will see the pipes above floor level in cabinets in bath and kitchen areas.
I have a different suggestion: Pressurize the fresh water system with air, no more than about 40-50 psi. Have a gauge on the air line inducing the air, and see if it bleeds down in pressure. If it does, you definitely have a leak.

This process will not add any additional water, but may force water out where there may be leaks as a result of freezing and possible broken water lines. Drain all the tanks, including hot water tank, before you do this, so as to not force any excess water into the coach in the event of a leak.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:27 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
thanks, I don't believe it was air blown out, either, from what I was able to find out. Will not be able to check on it until spring thaw here. Mother Nature seems to be against us this year, just when the snow is getting low, we get another storm!!! Hear its the same all over North America, tho.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariannRobin View Post
thanks, I don't believe it was air blown out, either, from what I was able to find out. Will not be able to check on it until spring thaw here. Mother Nature seems to be against us this year, just when the snow is getting low, we get another storm!!! Hear its the same all over North America, tho.
If water remained in the AquaHot and it sustained freeze damage, you're looking at a $8,000-$10,000 issue to resolve.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:10 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Don,Steve , I sure was off on this one good suggestion Don less damage that way I thought he must have been in Florida.
What else did this Essex not have done, batteries must be short too.
You need a warm garage up there in cold Canada.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:01 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for all your replies, guys. I'm thinking this is starting to get expensive. This is a unit that is being offered for sale 8 hours northeast of here in northern BC. It was advertised that it had had a battery fire so there was damage in the back but the motor itself was still good. When we inquired about it, we found out that the guy didn't know anything about winterizing, so it likely wasn't done. So now we have that, too, if we decide to buy. Just doing the motor was worth looking at, because Robin is a heavy duty mechanic, retired, but we will be looking at this very, very carefully! A lot of our questions have gone unanswered or answered with "I don't know" which is troubling. Originally we thought it just happened, but now we think it could have been sitting for years! our estimate for repairs doing what we can ourselves is coming close to $70k not counting what we will have to pay. Thats transport from Fort St John, ($5k), the engine compartment and exterior repair ($30k), new tires ($7k), which we were expecting, and now possibly another 20-25k for the water issues, and who knows what else. Thanks for your advise, I have sent a request for info to our "local" (3 hours south) Newmar dealer for prices on parts for the repairs we can expect. We will see what they have to say.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:11 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
My advice on a Coach like this that has been neglected to this point in its life........I would turn and RUN and not look back! unless they were willing to just about going to give it to me and even then If I would want to pay out and sort out all the problems it will have due to stupidity of the person that owned it. Sure sounds like a undertaking and challenge at the very least.
Boy , I hope this is not the one you are looking at?
http://rvtradernet.com/classifieds/image/7409/item.html
Old 04-14-2013, 01:35 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
I think it must be.

2005 with only 27,000 miles? It's been sitting for a long time.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:41 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
winterizing?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
I think it must be.

2005 with only 27,000 miles? It's been sitting for a long time.
I am thinking that the "not being winterized" is the very least of this Coach's problems!
Old 04-14-2013, 01:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
My advice on a Coach like this that has been neglected to this point in its life........I would turn and RUN and not look back! unless they were willing to just about going to give it to me and even then If I would want to pay out and sort out all the problems it will have due to stupidity of the person that owned it. Sure sounds like a undertaking and challenge at the very least.
Boy , I hope this is not the one you are looking at?
Full sized images for Newmar : 2005 Newmar Spartan Essex Class A in Fort St John, BC
Something as simple and common as winterizing in preparation for a winter in Canada has been neglected!
That proves that the owner has no COMMON SENSE.
Assume that anything and everything else is not right.
WALK AWAY!
You will have enough problems to fix on any coach that HAS been taken care of.
Mel
'96 Safari Sahara
130k miles , 103k mine
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:21 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
After the rest of the story has been told its to bad who ever owned this coach and paying big money for it and even with the fire that could have been fixed at both Spartan & Newmar factory's just did not care and caused further damage.
There are plenty of used Newmars on market that your money could be put to better use.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:35 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
That is a bad spot to have a fire on a K2. If smoke got on the inside (which I think did) I would pass on it. Getting the smoke smell out of the interior would be next to impossible or really expensive.

2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote