Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2023, 06:26 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Excessive heat coming thru front windshield.

Was wondering what solutions anyone has come up with for reducing the heat coming into the front windshield. Yes I have a type of magna shade I made on the outside but there is a lot of heat that comes into the back of the overhead cabinet where all my controls and monitors are. I never noticed it till I got a new Micro air thermostat and it gives the temperature reading where my stat is mounted which is in the cabinet. I get emails warning me of the excessive heat even though I've increased the high limit temp for that setting. Was looking at the back side of this cabinet and it's open to the windshield it's not boxed in. The front a/c is unable to cool the space behind the front cabinets because of their mounting up close to the ceiling. What do you think about boxing it in with some insul board? Is there a reason this cabinet was left open in the back? Just wondering!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2023, 06:28 PM   #2

What color is your front cap? I have a lot of heat in those cabinets as well and my cap is dark brown, I'm thinking about painting the top part white.
bigb56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 07:20 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb56 View Post
What color is your front cap? I have a lot of heat in those cabinets as well and my cap is dark brown, I'm thinking about painting the top part white.
The worst it's black!
Old 06-05-2023, 07:32 PM   #4

Why it is open......CHEAPER

Enclose it...insulation
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 07:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Why it is open......CHEAPER

Enclose it...insulation
X2! ^^

Or it would be a mess, but spray foam the inside surface as best you can (don’t cover any wiring or marker light fasteners).
Old 06-05-2023, 09:20 PM   #6

I got a roll of double reflective insulation from Home Depot and use that to cover the inside of the windshield when it gets too hot and sunny. Made a huge difference. It's about 1/8" thick and comes in various widths. You could probably attach that to the back of the cabinets to help cool it down while driving.
cbennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 09:39 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Is it not left open for ventilation? Could a heat repellent shield be better? I get high temps in the cabinet which impacts my hotspot.
2020 Tahoe LT
mahdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 10:14 PM   #8

If you can post a picture.. better opinions will follow.. now on my rv.. I had old CRT. Tv.. in the center.. I replaced it with smart flat screen... but before I did.. I used my cellphone with flash on and record behind.. and found 0 insulation in 12 in space between cap and house.. and about 30in wide on both sides.. now there is a lot of wiring back there.. some of the newer rv might be 120v.. I did not want to fill the space with expending foam.. not much holds the front cap on.. and if I needed future access to the wires or space.. foam would not make it practical.. and could damage cap..

I went with aluminized bubble wrap.. 1st.. I put it inside as back liner in the cabinets.. then in the gap between cap and house.. I used a 24in paint sticks and push bubble wrap in there.. keeping as best I could the wires inside to back of cabinets.. now this stuff is only 1/8 in thick.. not high r value.. but great sun rejection..
If you don't believe me... and you should not.. get a small roll at any big box hardware store.. go out in parking lot.. on very sunny day and hold a piece over your head.. so I then filled remaining space with fiberglass insulation.. and used paint sticks to get it pushed in place.. use all safety precautions.. mask.. goggles and long sleeve shirt.. sence you have magna. Shade.. you may or may not want to use it inside.windshield area..
So there should be a space about 12in deep behind the top front cabinets and there is nothing but wiring up there.. I understand on some models you just can't start pulling entire front section down to insulation behind there.. but I would not inject foam.. you may just have to settle for lining the inside of cabinets..
Now.. for me.. I found such an improvement... I used about 10 to 20 rolls so far.. I lined inside all cabinets, behind all drawers, and every place the DW. Would let me get away with it.. I like it.. yes.. becarefull because you may have to go back and remove it.. for the most part.. cut it about 1 or 2 in longer and wider and it will hold itself in place.. if you have cabinets over the bed.. I believe you can feel the difference.. I used staples sparingly.. just tuck it it place.. keep all pipes and wires to inside.. well that is short story of what I did..
Good luck and keep us posted
Old 06-06-2023, 04:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbennis View Post
I got a roll of double reflective insulation from Home Depot and use that to cover the inside of the windshield when it gets too hot and sunny. Made a huge difference. It's about 1/8" thick and comes in various widths. You could probably attach that to the back of the cabinets to help cool it down while driving.
We have a 2008 MADP and we use the outside windshield cover most of the time. In really hot temperatures where the sun is beating directly on the windshield we place the double reflective insinuation bubble wrap between the outside windshield cover and the windshield. On moderately hot days we place the reflective material on the inside behind the pull down shade. You can also find the product on Amazon in the 48 by 10 ft size - Reflectix BP48010 Double Pack Insulation, 48 in. x 10 ft. We try to stay out of really hot weather!

08 Newmar Mountain Aire 4523
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 05:10 AM   #10

Wondering if a buyer who is ordering can spec spray foam insulation for the inside of the front cap.
You know, this could be an issue for the EPA, in as much as the coach builders seem to have little regard for insulation.
I insulated the front cap of my Tiffin Allegro 31IA when the boat anchor was replaced with a widescreen LED.
Old 06-06-2023, 11:05 AM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Why do the Magne Shades work so well.......the answer.....they stop the heat BEFORE it enters the coach.

On my 2014 DS, it had an all-black roof line, down to the top of the windshield. One day I was up there waxing the roof in some pretty warm weather. I had my hand on the flat white portion of the roof and moved my hand to the black to reposition myself. It was so hot I couldn't leave my hand there.

My point.....once the heat gets through into the coach, it's too late to stop it. You may mitigate a 2-3 degrees, but I doubt you'll have a substantial impact on the heat.

On my 2014, the heat was enough to cause the entertainment equipment to overheat. I installed a computer fan at the back, but it wasn't enough. I eventually got a 110 volt clip-on desk fan and when we were camping in really hot weather, I opened the entertainment cabinet door and clipped the fan to the door. There was an AC roof vent above the fan and helped to blow cold air into the cabinet.

Unless you're doing a lot of continuous hot weather camping, I wouldn't go too crazy trying to resolve the issue. The ultimate fix would be to paint the cap. I did that on my 2014 after the paint went bad.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 11:42 AM   #12

Just leave the front cabinet door open.

I agree, it may be open in the rear for ventilation.

We always tried to park where the front wouldn't get the afternoon sun.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 12:12 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
I tried to take pictures but it's tight with the roller shades and all. Couldn't get a decent picture. I agree once the heat is on the inside you have little option. I like the fan idea, I have several clip fans. I'll place one on the floor where the coolest air is then one at dash height boosting the air coming off the floor.. I'll give them a try at the end of the month. I will be parking with the front windshield looking west. I have no option for parking a different direction. Might also try to slide the reflective bubble wrap under the shade I put up on the outside of the windshield. I have 2 rolls already stored in my garage. It couldn't hurt that's for sure. Oklahoma heat is brutal ! [emoji23]
Old 06-08-2023, 01:51 PM   #14

My '97 is the same way - gets real hot behind the cap. I figured no insulation installed.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, wind, windshield