Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2022, 07:20 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Excessive wind noise.

2008 MADP. I have what I think is excessive wind noise coming from my door area. I thought part of it might be coming in for my front windshield. After having a new windshield installed last week and asking the installer about the gasket, he said they didn't see anything that could be causing it. They did install a new rubber gasket around the windshield. So now I'm thinking that it is coming in from the door. Could somebody explain to me how that latch assembly works to tighten the door up? Also how to test to see if that latch assembly is working properly.
Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2022, 07:49 PM   #2

If Iím not mistaken the gasket is really just rubber trim piece, the windshield is glued in. If they missed a spot air will still come in. As to the door, there is a catch that when you release your parking brake it will grab the upper front part of your door and pull it in tighter, but if your door seal is leaking it will help but wonít prevent leak.
Vacationfools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 10:06 PM   #3

If I remember correctly, the entry door has 2 positions it can close in- the way to check if your in the tightest position is - shut the door from the inside- see if you can engage the dead bolt door lock- if you can't you're only in the 1/2 lock position- reopen & slam it hard until you can engage the dead bolt lock. Then see how the wind noise is? With the age of your coach-you may be needing a new gasket seal.

Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 04:02 AM   #4

I had a similar issue with wind noise at the door. Tried adjusting the latch and that just made it more difficult to close. The latch is adjustable with 7 different adjustments. Mine was covered by wood trim. You have to pry out the wood plugs and then remove the screws holding the trim in place. My unit is a 2005 DSDP.
The door on mine is made by PTL, yours should have a label with information on it. Instructions below.
The final solution to fix the door for me was replacing the 17-year-old rubber seal. I purchased it from PTL as it is custom made, one piece seal. They have changed the deign of the seal and I believe it works much better. Take your time replacing it as it is critical to get it correctly installed. The new seal was $99.45 delivered.
PTL Link
https://ptlengineering.com
Resolving Wind Noise:

Mov a Bolt Adjustments
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PTL Latch Adjustments.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	366512  
Old 05-25-2022, 05:01 AM   #5
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Adjusting the door is probably not whatís needed if itís been good this whole time. Make sure your door is shut all the way. Pull the closed and you feel the first catch of the door. This shows you whatís not fully closed. Now open the door, and pull it harder to hit the second catch.
I would check your seals and possibly add a wind deflector from ptl.
Collision Repair & Paint Restoration

SM Nashville 972-697-6325
Bobby Dowdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 05:22 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbike199 View Post
I had a similar issue with wind noise at the door. Tried adjusting the latch and that just made it more difficult to close. The latch is adjustable with 7 different adjustments. Mine was covered by wood trim. You have to pry out the wood plugs and then remove the screws holding the trim in place. My unit is a 2005 DSDP.

The door on mine is made by PTL, yours should have a label with information on it. Instructions below.

The final solution to fix the door for me was replacing the 17-year-old rubber seal. I purchased it from PTL as it is custom made, one piece seal. They have changed the deign of the seal and I believe it works much better. Take your time replacing it as it is critical to get it correctly installed. The new seal was $99.45 delivered.

PTL Link

https://ptlengineering.com

Resolving Wind Noise:

Mov a Bolt Adjustments

Thank you. With it's age I new seal couldn't hurt. We do slam the door to make sure it's closed tight. The latch I was wondering about is the one on the hinge side that is supposed to lock when the air brake is released. Need to make sure it's working. Looks like I need to remove the screen door to be able to check it's working properly.
Old 05-25-2022, 05:37 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Lubricate the door. You shouldn't need to slam it. If it's closing hard it's because it's meeting resistance. A little lube on the hinges and mechanism will make it easier to get a good seal without a lot of effort. Chasing wind noise is like chasing ghosts. Maybe you can get a better seal, maybe the noise is actually coming from the refrigerator. On our last rig we added a little bit of cork around the door to get the last little bit of noise out of it. That made the noise from the mirrors sound louder. Good luck.
Old 05-25-2022, 08:02 AM   #8

Been there, done that on my 2005 MADP. Adjusted the door 10 ways from Sunday.

Finally removed the screen door so my wife could really hear all around the door seal. The seal at the top of the door was compressed. I added a 1/4 inch neoprene seal around the top one third of the door frame.

Another way to find the leak is to shut a thin piece of paper in the door and check if you can pull it out easily.
bentjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 10:54 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
This was why I was questioning the hinge side lock. As you can see from the picture it looks as if the round roller is missing the latch or just barely making contact with it. If you zoom in on the picture you can see where there is some abrasion.Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220525_164846666.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	366548
Old 05-25-2022, 10:55 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Little better picture .Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220525_165451291.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	366549
Old 05-25-2022, 03:15 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Took the screen door off and added a plastic spacer behind the latch hoping it will make better contact. Am leaving tomorrow for the weekend and I see if this lock is working properly. You get a better view with the screen door off.
Old 05-26-2022, 06:48 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
With the screen door off the DW was able to watch the latch and it was functioning properly. So that has eliminated that as the air leak. No wondering if the air noise might be coming from behind the dash. Perhaps something isn't sealed properly coming from outside to the inside. Will pull the glovebox and use my scope to take a look.
Old 05-27-2022, 03:26 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickemb View Post
With the screen door off the DW was able to watch the latch and it was functioning properly. So that has eliminated that as the air leak. No wondering if the air noise might be coming from behind the dash. Perhaps something isn't sealed properly coming from outside to the inside. Will pull the glovebox and use my scope to take a look.
I have noticed in the front hood area above the generator a number of items going into the firewall with spray foam. Maybe some of that jarred loose and fell away?
RVStitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 05:20 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickemb View Post
Took the screen door off and added a plastic spacer behind the latch hoping it will make better contact. Am leaving tomorrow for the weekend and I see if this lock is working properly. You get a better view with the screen door off.

Just wondering if there is anything new to report on the issue?

Tags
noise, wind, wind noise