Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2015, 10:34 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Exhaust Brake

When driving our new Ventana Le 4044 home from dealer when we turned exhaust brake on engine light comes on then goes off when turned off. Is this normal or is there a problem?

Switt is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2015, 10:38 AM   #2

Problem. Why should the engine light come on when you have the exhaust brake on? Mine sure doesn't.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:48 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switt View Post
When driving our new Ventana Le 4044 home from dealer when we turned exhaust brake on engine light comes on then goes off when turned off. Is this normal or is there a problem?
Sam & Tobe
2016 Vantana LE 4044
2014 CRV
Switt
Are you sure what you think is an "engine light" is not a "Exhaust Brake ON" light?
What does the ownes manual for your 2016 Vantana LE 4044 have to say about the indicator light you are seeing?
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:41 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mel
DW drove coach home Friday and thought it was engine light. She says it was probably exhaust brake light. Getting use to a Dp after three gas coaches. Still have a lot to learn. Doesn't help that Tom Johnson removed Cummins and Freightliner books but now they're Camping World go figure.

Sam & Tobe
2016 Ventanna LE 4044
2014 CRV
Switt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:40 PM   #5

It could be the exhuast brake light. Mine only comes on when I let off the fuel pedal.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:56 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I've owned my first DP for only a few months and haven't yet had the nerve to try the exhaust brake. The previous owner said he never used it either. If an exhaust brake hasn't been used for years, can suddenly using it open up issues of moving parts going bad because the parts haven't been used in awhile?

Kind of like a pressure relief valve on a water heater. If you don't use it for years, then suddenly open it, most likely the valve will leak from then on.

Any good links for understanding and using exhaust brakes?
Old 08-18-2015, 08:13 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I honestly cannot imagine not using my exhaust brake. When you are heading down a steep hill, while its raining, the exhaust brake vs the foot brake is a much safer option in my view. I use my gas pedal with my exhaust brake on low as a means to maintain my speed, increase my speed but also as a means to slow down the coach. I almost never use the brake foot pedal during normal driving. The exhaust brake is made for use so I think you will be fine using it. Give it a try, if nothing else your brake pads will love you if you use your exhaust brake more often.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
KenNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 05:16 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I agree completely with Ken. My exhaust brake switch is on, in the low position, constantly. No need to turn it off, it's useful in the majority of driving circumstances.
TwoCorners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 06:00 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCorners View Post
I agree completely with Ken. My exhaust brake switch is on, in the low position, constantly. No need to turn it off, it's useful in the majority of driving circumstances.
X2.
Old 08-19-2015, 06:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestyle21 View Post
It could be the exhuast brake light. Mine only comes on when I let off the fuel pedal.
Mine only comes on if the exhaust brake switch is ON and I apply the service brakes, (press the brake peddle).
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:02 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Pexring,
The exhaust brake is to be used only on dry pavement. Consider contacting the engine manufacturer for correct usage of the exhaust brake.

Go ahead and use the exhaust brake on your next trip. If it works, great, if not have it repaired. Going down a steep incline with no exhaust brake can be a hazardous activity.

My exhaust/engine brake is used according to the manufacturer's instructions. Never using it or leaving it on all the time, both actions can be hazardous to the service brake pads.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi Pexring,
My exhaust/engine brake is used according to the manufacturer's instructions. Never using it or leaving it on all the time, both actions can be hazardous to the service brake pads.
Am I reading this correct? why would leaving the exhaust brake on all the time be hazardous to your brake pads. I leave mine on all the time in all conditions been doing that for 25 years never a problem and a set of front pads lasts me over a 125,000 miles.
Especially on an exhaust brake it is good to use it every time the motor is run to keep the butterfly from sticking. The only time I turn it off is when it is slowing me down to much.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:47 AM   #13
cwg

I agree with Gary. During a factory tour this spring Mike O'Neil from Spartan Motors said that it should not be used constantly as it will glaze over the discs and hurt the braking system. Nor should it not be used also... better to use it in the applications when descending steep hills. Never using it may allow it to not function when needed.
cwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:57 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Never using it or leaving it on all the time, both actions can be hazardous to the service brake pads.
Not to pile on here, but this make absolutely no sense. I know that not using it will create additional pad wear, and of course riding the brakes down a hill can create overheating problems, but I need to know how using it will hurt the brakes. BTW I have 40 years of racing experience and I know a lot about brakes.

Tags
brake