Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2021, 07:10 PM   #1

Exhaust brake not working

Hi,
I have a 2000 Dutch star with exhaust brake not working. I have replaced the air solenoid and freed the motion of the brake (it was stuck) I have tested operation manually by using jumper wires to the air solenoid. It works. But doesnít work while driving. Also strangely there is no switch on the dash nor in the floor. How is it activated?
James
Jamesabbott418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2021, 07:17 PM   #2

Do you have a switch on the dash , marked "Retarder"?

What chassis and engine in your coach ? Freightliner ? Spartan ?
Cat ? Cummins ?
Old 03-03-2021, 07:17 PM   #3

Are there any devices or switches you have unaccounted for?
Mile Marker 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 07:20 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I've got a 2002 model year. I have a 20 amp fuse and relay in my front drivers side run bay for the exhaust brake. I'd say you have a fuse also somewhere.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 07:21 PM   #5

I’m sorry. I assumed my signature was working with my info.
I have a 2000 Dutch star 3859 Spartan. Cummings isc 8.3.

No switch on the dash marked “retarder” or exhaust brake or similar.
All visual switches accounted for.
My transmission does shift down as it should. But even with the solenoid unplugged or plugged in there’s no difference in how it slows down. With or without using service brakes I can not tell anything different.
Old 03-03-2021, 07:23 PM   #6

He isn't sure how to turn it on and off.
Mile Marker 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 07:23 PM   #7

I would assume so also. But no fuse or relay marked “exhaust brake” or “retarder” or similar. In the panel above the instrument panel in dash. Any other panels to look in?
Old 03-03-2021, 07:43 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I've got an ISC 8.3 with an exhaust, I have a switch on the drivers side console that says "exhaust brake".

There may also be a switch on the floor.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 05:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesabbott418 View Post
Iím sorry. I assumed my signature was working with my info.
I have a 2000 Dutch star 3859 Spartan. Cummings isc 8.3.

No switch on the dash marked ďretarderĒ or exhaust brake or similar.
All visual switches accounted for.
My transmission does shift down as it should. But even with the solenoid unplugged or plugged in thereís no difference in how it slows down. With or without using service brakes I can not tell anything different.
I have a switch on dash to right of steering wheel.
The Exhaust brake system needs 12V to begin the functionality - this comes from the On/Off switch. Once the function is turned on, the rules are 1) must be moving >10mph, 2) must have foot off the fuel pedal. Once those 2 rules are met, the TCM/ECM take over and 1) activates solenoid that turns on pac-brake, 2) try to downshift (usually seeking 2nd gear but I hear you can get it programmed for 4th gear) if RPM is low enough to not injure tranny.
If you see the tranny downshifting that tells you that 12V from switch is being seen. I would recommend lifting the Bed to access the engine and then drive around where you can get above 10 mph. Once above, lift your foot and you should hear the air solenoid firing, press foot on pedal and you should hear the solenoid change.
I am told that the higher the speed, the better the exhaust brake works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crop of pacs diagram.PNG
Views:	4
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	320015  
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 06:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
I have a switch on dash to right of steering wheel.
The Exhaust brake system needs 12V to begin the functionality - this comes from the On/Off switch. Once the function is turned on, the rules are 1) must be moving >10mph, 2) must have foot off the fuel pedal. Once those 2 rules are met, the TCM/ECM take over and 1) activates solenoid that turns on pac-brake, 2) try to downshift (usually seeking 2nd gear but I hear you can get it programmed for 4th gear) if RPM is low enough to not injure tranny.
If you see the tranny downshifting that tells you that 12V from switch is being seen. I would recommend lifting the Bed to access the engine and then drive around where you can get above 10 mph. Once above, lift your foot and you should hear the air solenoid firing, press foot on pedal and you should hear the solenoid change.
I am told that the higher the speed, the better the exhaust brake works.
I appreciate the info.
I wonder if itís possible the on/off switch was not installed in my rig. I wonder if it was wired to be on all the time? Or worse yet, Spartan installed it and wired it but newmar didnít hook it up? The tranny does down shift while coasting. It takes appears to be a setting in the Tcm to down shift to help with braking.
Either way Iím most positive it does not activate the air solenoid.
Iíll get someone to ride with me and test it more.
Thanks
Old 03-04-2021, 06:20 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesabbott418 View Post
I would assume so also. But no fuse or relay marked “exhaust brake” or “retarder” or similar. In the panel above the instrument panel in dash. Any other panels to look in?
James ; if your transmission goes into the down shift program; when your coasting over 20 mph ; then the exhaust brake is turned on ; switch location currently unknown; so activation of the control solenoid , by the Cummins ECM , is probably the issue .
There are two fuse boxes for chassis related controls including 5 for the Cummins ECM in the compartment behind the passenger side duals . Photo below; yellow box; , all the fuses need to be tested.
More than likely a relay involved too.

Do you have any switches on an arm rest to the drivers left ?
Could you post pictures of your dash gauge and switch panel and any switches on the arm rest.
My DS on F/L chassis, has a drivers door so , switch and dash layouts are probably different.

Note: If you sometimes use a phone or iPad APP to post in the forums , as well as a regular computer , signature lines won't attach to your posts when using the APP.
Attached Images

Old 03-04-2021, 06:47 AM   #12

Ok ; I have from another member with a 2001 DS on Spartan , wiring schematics PDF ( that covers 2000>2 chassis ) , that is too large a file to post here in the forums .
I will try and figure a way to get the ; exhaust brake page ; separated and post the info .
Otherwise , I can send the PDF to you if you'll provide me your e mail address in a private message.
From the schematics , the dash switch , has two functions ,1, it provides a power signal to the Allison ECM for the down shift program ,2, it provides a ground path to the Cummins ECM to signal the ECM to activate the , exhaust brake control relay , that powers the solenoid.
So finding and testing the dash switch, and it's ground wiring , is priority .
Old 03-04-2021, 07:31 AM   #13

OK, back again ; separating a page from a PDF is way beyond my computer skill set , so here's a picture of the schematic .
When the dash switch , sends the ground signal to the Cummins ECM , the ECM sends power to the switched power input terminal of relay , when the Allison ECM starts the downshift program it provides the ground to activate the relay . Power from the Cummins ECM is then passed through the relay to the power output terminal to the solenoid .
The relay is marked as EM0027 Relay #3. The photo I have shows only one relay in in that , Power Distribution Center ( PDC ) also marked ; Rear #2 .
Yellow box marking a fuse is from another fuse of the photo , and I haven't figured out how to remove it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0841.jpg
Size:	226.3 KB
ID:	320029   Click image for larger version

Name:	1999 Dutch fuse blocks.jpg
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	320030  

Old 03-04-2021, 11:02 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
James ; if your transmission goes into the down shift program; when your coasting over 20 mph ; then the exhaust brake is turned on ; switch location currently unknown; so activation of the control solenoid , by the Cummins ECM , is probably the issue .
There are two fuse boxes for chassis related controls including 5 for the Cummins ECM in the compartment behind the passenger side duals . Photo below; yellow box; , all the fuses need to be tested.
More than likely a relay involved too.

Do you have any switches on an arm rest to the drivers left ?
Could you post pictures of your dash gauge and switch panel and any switches on the arm rest.
My DS on F/L chassis, has a drivers door so , switch and dash layouts are probably different.

Note: If you sometimes use a phone or iPad APP to post in the forums , as well as a regular computer , signature lines won't attach to your posts when using the APP.
Great info thanks.
I did notice those boxes in that compartment but did not investigate them. I will look into that and test those fuses. With luck a simple fuse will do the trick. We will see. Otherwise Iíll report what I find. Thanks

Tags
brake, exhaust