Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2021, 07:02 PM   #1

Experienced the PDM issue this morning, Fixed?

So I have been reading about the PDM issues and recall letters and such.

Hooked up my race car trailer this morning and no lights on the trailer and no tail lights on the coach but had running lights.

Checked what fuses I could find but they were fine.

So I decided I would draw from my experience with computers and electronics.

Perform a reset.

I shut the Salesman switch off, shut off the house batteries, then shut off the chassis batteries, waited 5 minutes and turned everything back on and I got all my light working.

I don't know if it is fixed but I thought I would share this temporary solution for those that run in to it.

Ted.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2021, 08:28 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The problem is intermittent, it can work fine for awhile and then quit. I would still make an appointment to get it checked. They use a load tester on the unit to see if it fails.

Under load, various items can start shutting down, from lights to A/C. I thought part of my intermittent dash A/C was caused by the PDM. They load tested it and it failed. They replaced the unit, but I still had A/C issues, which I later found was a cold temp sensor.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 08:29 PM   #3
Rd1

You have a defective PDM. turning off the chassis batt switch is sufficient to restore the pdm fault, temporary. the rest are not necessary. about a 1 min shut down of the chassis batt will suffice. Next time that happens, check your dash AC. Likely, it is not functioning. you may see the AC light on the dash 'ON', but no cool air and the rad fan would also not operate at full speed
Old 06-10-2021, 08:35 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ted:
That's how my PDM failure started. My tag would not unlock and my PS turn signal wouldn't work. The reset you performed worked a few times, then wouldn't any more.
New PDM last summer and all has been good since.
MikeyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 04:18 AM   #5
Rd1

Ted, were you driving in the rain when this issue came up, or was the coach exposed to rain or wash prior to the trip? that's how mine started initially. it could have been a coincident, just curious.

once it became permanent, the failure would always show up in 30 min of operation. next time on the road, turn park lights on while driving. monitor trailer light (if in tow) or watch for the marker light on your driver side. should be in view thru the side mirror. or have dash AC on and within 30 min, if the problem has become permanent, it will show up.
Old 06-11-2021, 12:29 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Personally, I believe heat is a contributing factor to the PDM issues. I insulated the back of that bay, since the exhaust backs up to the rear and bottom wall.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 08:29 AM   #7

Thank you all for your participation in this conversation, I will be calling Freightliner this week to get set up for a replacement.

Ted.
Old 06-26-2021, 02:43 PM   #8
Rd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Personally, I believe heat is a contributing factor to the PDM issues..............
Don,

That may very well be the cause or one of the contributing factors. However, what is a fact, freightliner has been fully aware of this issue, at least from early 2017. Even their executives were notified. Not just because of the PDM issue, there were other serious issues which were communicated to them along with the PDM. The question is, why is this still a problem?

You as well as other members may recall a 2016 DSDP which caught FIRE a couple of years back. The full timer couple were stranded for considerable time, till it was determined the cause was a freightliner faulty hydraulic line. An issue which freightliner was FULLY aware of. However, neglected to complete the recall. That incident caused considerable harm to the unfortunate owners.

This has become a practice, not just by freightliner, by rv industry. Ball joints, tag axles, fake leather, fake windows, etc..

I spend nearly 2 years chasing freightliner on the PDM issue from early 2017, see the invoices. They even threatened to charge me full rv rate to diagnose their own defect (see email). In fact, 2 freightliner dealers did charge me to work on their own defect, even though, the coach and the problem were technically in warranty. I spend more than half a dozen 300 mile round trips in summer of 2018 to a designated freightliner dealer, at my own expense and time, to try various PDMs before they issued their first of three recalls around late 2018 or early 2019. I don't really think they fixed the issue. They just found a work around. See the post on Trans Comm Fail issue. My PDM issue too, was noticed due to the trailer I tow, just like Ted. Four years later, the problem continues!!!

Of course, we the consumers are the other part of the equation. If no one is willing to report the safety issues to NHTSA and write/email Newmar/freightliner on these issues, the problems would only get worse, at OUR expenses.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PDM_email.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	182.2 KB
ID:	333694   Click image for larger version

Name:	PDM_8-2017.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	241.9 KB
ID:	333695  

Click image for larger version

Name:	PDM_10-2017.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	222.3 KB
ID:	333696   Click image for larger version

Name:	PDM_6-2018.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	238.2 KB
ID:	333697  

Old 06-27-2021, 07:01 PM   #9

Headed to Freightliner in the morning, Wish me luck LOL
Old 06-27-2021, 08:14 PM   #10

Just had mine replaced at Transwest Freightliner Frederick CO. Two days later in the rain I put the wipers on, and dashboard lights go out. Turn lights all the way off than on again till I need the wipers again, then lights out again
96kpmjmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 05:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96kpmjmm View Post
Just had mine replaced at Transwest Freightliner Frederick CO. Two days later in the rain I put the wipers on, and dashboard lights go out. Turn lights all the way off than on again till I need the wipers again, then lights out again
WOW sorry to hear that.
Old 06-29-2021, 05:55 PM   #12

So they could not replace my PDM.

My coach is not listed on the recall by vin but it is in warranty.

We found out my PDM has already been replaced right before I bought it at the dealer in Florida.

My Freightliner dealer is aware of the issues and symptoms but unless they can replicate the problem or the PDM fails the diagnostic load test there hands are tied and can not replace the PDM

So a full day wasted driving up and back.

Everything is currently working but who knows.

At least it is documented that I had a problem and had them test it.

I just hope I don't have a problem again.

Ted.
Old 06-30-2021, 10:18 AM   #13
Rd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie 4369 View Post
So they could not replace my PDM.

My coach is not listed on the recall by vin but it is in warranty.

We found out my PDM has already been replaced right before I bought it at the dealer in Florida.................

Ted.
Did they tell you under which recall your PDM was replaced? There were three different recalls for the PDM. Which might suggest, they either do not know what the problems is, or looking for "funny" solutions ( ie the initial fan housing frame replacements).

I'll have a follow-up post on that regard. In the mean time, you can consider having the park lights on whenever you drive! one way to see if it pops up. Then make sure you take a video recording. If you have the trailer in tow, should be relatively easy to spot? assume the trailer DOTs went out with this issue?

Also, do not know what other lights were impacted with your first experience. For some units, the marker lights (located by the rear wheel well) also went out. If that is the case with your unit, should be able to spot the marker lights from your side view mirrors.
Old 06-30-2021, 10:28 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rd1 View Post
Did they tell you under which recall your PDM was replaced? There were three different recalls for the PDM. Which might suggest, they either do not know what the problems is, or looking for "funny" solutions ( ie the initial fan housing frame replacements).

I'll have a follow-up post on that regard. In the mean time, you can consider having the park lights on whenever you drive! one way to see if it pops up. Then make sure you take a video recording. If you have the trailer in tow, should be relatively easy to spot? assume the trailer DOTs went out with this issue?

Also, do not know what other lights were impacted with your first experience. For some units, the marker lights (located by the rear wheel well) also went out. If that is the case with your unit, should be able to spot the marker lights from your side view mirrors.
No they did not say under recall I suspect they had a problem and were able to replicate it then replaced the PDM under warranty.

Ted.