Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2015, 11:57 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Sorry to hear of this issue. I agree with what others have stated. Except, I would have Newmar fetch the coach. ANYTHING could go wrong while you're driving it back. Why put yourselves in harms way?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2015, 12:04 PM   #16

Thank you to everyone on the board here for their insights, recommendations and warm thoughts (believe me -- we really need them right now).

After seeing the damage in the light of day this morning, we did decide to ask Newmar for support in getting this returned to the factory on their dime as we both have to go back to work. Discussion of what to do next (repairs/replacement) are underway and we'll see what happens.

After such a fantastic experience with the Factory Pick-up program, we are very saddened on pulling in at home with the damaged coach.

Our service representative has been fantastic today in working through options without making any excuses. We're going to hope for an amicably fair outcome with Newmar.

Thank you again for all the responses -- we're trying to keep up our optimism as it's been a dream long coming to get to this point.
Thanks!
Mike
Old 04-20-2015, 12:20 PM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
Mike,

So sorry to hear about the King Aire. Please note I didn't say "your" King Aire. Like others have said, this is a Newmar problem, not yours.

If you are close enough and it's convenient, return to the factory. With the electrical problems you are having, I might even consider parking it and having Newmar come and get it. No telling what is going on with the electrical system.

I think John gave good solid advice - contact your insurance company. I would not be the least bit surprised if they totalled it with that much water rolling around in there. Get lots of pictures. I saw a brand new Entegra up for auction with 1.2 miles on it. Had been hit by lightening. Looked great, except a ton of electrical problems I'm sure.

Regardless of what you choose to do, work it out with Newmar for any and all expense you might or will incur because of this misfortune. If you are making payments, STOP!. While you're on the phone with your insurance agent, suspend the coverage until you are back in the saddle.

Good luck Mike. Newmar will make this right I'm sure, but what a pain for you guys.
2024 RAM Limited FMCA #420209
Old 04-20-2015, 12:25 PM   #18

I didn't read the replies.......have them pick it up if you can't take it! Period!
Old 04-20-2015, 12:32 PM   #19

Also, don't entertain any suggestion that it was your fault for leaving the pump on. If you had been hooked up at the campground when this happened, it would have been a lot more than 50 gallons by the time you woke up or came home 7 hours later.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:46 PM   #20

Back to the factory for a rebuild and legal advice on warranty issues that both both parties sign off on, no verbal agreements.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:05 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
On goodness I feel mortified for you. I would ask Newmar to hire a driver, take it back and fix everything.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 04-20-2015, 03:15 PM   #22

I have no experience in this but suggest you get a professional photographer to take photos of the failure point and the current damage, possibly an engineering forensic photographer if you can find one. It's really important to have good visuals of the failure point and damage prior to sending the coach back to Newmar.

Your insurance company may provide this but being a crazy worry type person I would want my own independent consultant on this as well. This is not something you want to document with just your cell phone.

Your post was an OMG moment for me as we were there last week too, think we met you in the waiting room. I feel so bad for you and hope this works out for you with the least amount of grief possible.

Patty

Yoho, moho, the traveler's life for me!
Old 04-20-2015, 04:33 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Soooo sorry for this experience. I agree with all the comments made. It is Newmars problem. The coach needs a pro driver to pick it up, take it back to the line disassemble, check, replace, repair, re wire and provide you with an agreed upon extended warranty. For heavens sake, this is a King Aire!! You can bet high stakes if it were a big dollar Porsche it would been scooped up and gone already. Best wishes, really.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:53 PM   #24

Expert Advice Requested: New 2015 King Aire flooded with 50 gallons of water

It would be interesting to know what their pressure test procedure is. Was it performed or was it Friday afternoon?

We all feel your misfortune. It also makes us realize how much we take our plumbing for granted and the potential implications to all our RVs.

Your experience has me jotting notes for a device to prevent this happening on my coach. How to distinguish between a failure and a long shower?
Old 04-20-2015, 05:53 PM   #25

Can't add much to the excellent advice you have received thus far. I feel your pain (to quote a famous former president). The good news is that, with a company like Newmar standing behind you, they will step up. Do not settle for a local dry & patch, you need a reboot.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:51 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Wonder if Newmar would install small brass Drains as a special option??
Such as in bath, under kitchen sink, etc...
Wonder if your tile will have to be pulled up & floor underneath??
A good drying also to prevent mildew...
Good luck on the repairs OR a New coach...

KE5FTF...Bob & Kathy
Old 04-20-2015, 07:12 PM   #27

Wow, how crazy. I have a brand new Dutch Star, and I just had a flood under my sink as well, yesterday. Fortunately mine started slowly and got worse as I tried to fix it.

My finding was that the cold water supply line was not properly affixed to the brass faucet. Once I got done jimmying with that, and after several gallons had dumped all over the subwoofer, I discovered that the drain was also leaking. Plastic (ABS, I think) on plastic with no teflon tape in between is a recipe for issues. Increasing the tightening just caused thread-skipping.

I actually noticed a tiny bit of water last week, but I couldn't cause it to happen again and thought maybe I'd spilled something under the sink. But this week, on day two of our year on the road, this happened. I was on the phone with Newmar on and off all day yesterday. Ugh.

I'd like to hear how this ends up. Mine is 100x more recoverable, but still concerning to me. It also kind of stinks there's no central manifold or valves to isolate problem fixtures.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:24 PM   #28

Hello Mike,

Sorry to hear about your experience, not making excuses for Newmar, but it's best not to have the water pump on while traveling for exactly that reason. We do it all the time but know that we shouldn't. Newmar will take care of you!! After owning 4 Monaco coaches (with almost no problems) we were surprised that our 2012 King Aire had as many problems as it did ( I guess our number finally came up)

We're now in a 2014 King Aire, We're in the 2014 because Newmar took care of us, and it didn't take a big fight to get there, they just want to do the right thing, and we know the new owner of our previous 2012 and the coach has been made right and they're really enjoying it.

If you have problems, please pm us, Newmar is aware of the premium they collect on the King Aire and they just treat all of their customers right.
Closed Thread

Tags
advice, water