Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2015, 10:36 AM   #1

Expert Advice Requested: New 2015 King Aire flooded with 50 gallons of water

We are reaching out to those on this board with much better knowledge of Newmar coaches than ourselves. We are into Day 4 of driving our new 2015 King Aire back home after doing a factory pick-up.

We are reaching out for expert opinions and advice on what to do next with a major flood we experienced last night on the road.

On the drive, a pex pipe under the kitchen sink burst completely apart at a joint and dumped 50 gallons of water into our coach. We were both riding in the front and by the time the water rolled into the driver and passenger area, our entire fresh water tank had been emptied (1/3 full when we got on the road). We ran to turn off the pump but the damage was done.

When we pulled off, we found water had spread across our coach tiles from the front driver's area back to over half of the rear bedroom. Beyond soaking everything on the floor in the coach, the entire cargo areas below were inundated with water and soaking wet on the cargo bay ceiling and floors/slide-out trays. From what we could visually see, the water went as far back as our wet-bay and as far forward on the driver's side into the front electronic's bay.

The ceilings in the bays were sagging with the with soaking weight of the water in the insulation behind the black tarp holding it up.

Upon calling Newmar, we were advised to cut through the black tarp to try and release as much of the remaining water as possible.

Newmar has offered to get a local service person in our Las Vegas area to our coach to pull out the remaining insulation; dry-out the coach for a couple days; and then re-insulate the coach.

Our biggest concern besides re-insulating this coach is the electronic issues we've now experienced since the flood damage.

Various electronics have now gone out after the flood: Cruise-control no longer works, the automatic coach lock/unlock with the drive/park transmission is out and our rear back-up camera went out after the flood.

Newmar has assured us that anything broken will be fixed, but we're concerned about the long-term issues that can occur with all our electronics in the bay having 50 gallons of water pour through. Besides water intrusion across all of the wiring and electronic equipment in the cargo areas, the water also visibly went into our Oasis compartment and front electronic's bay under the driver.

Are we in for potentially many longer-term issues? Thank you for any advice for those who know these systems... Right now we're just extremely "crushed" with the flood damage after buying our dream coach. We never expected something like this right after buying a brand new King Aire.

Thank you,
Mike
2015 King Aire 4553
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2015, 11:17 AM   #2

Oh what a mess, and four days away from the factory. I would be very tempted to turn around and take it back.
Your carpeting will need drying, also the furniture, walls, etc... I would have the entire coach gutted, and inspected. Your long term issues will could continue for quite some time.
Keep all your receipts, travel logs etc... you may need them in the future.
I know you have a lot of electronics in the basements... a simple drying out and replacing insulation is not what I would expect from Newmar.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:20 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Consider checking with your insurance company for their input as well.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
Old 04-20-2015, 11:34 AM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
I think a return to the Newmar factory might be in order. The materials used in RVs can be damaged by water infiltration. Particle and chip board floors, cabinets, etc. can all absorb water and crumble or expand. Also mold growth and future corrosion of electrical connections are a possibility. I guess you've learned leaving the water pump on is a convenience, not a need.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
Old 04-20-2015, 11:37 AM   #5

man that is awful. I know most autos are totaled by insurance co. when electronics are flooded. I would be worried about long term issues at least try to get newmar to pick up the coach and take it back to the factory to be repaired/replaced and try to get something in writing about covering water damaged components in the future[after 1 year ]
Old 04-20-2015, 11:54 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi uncnavy2000,
There is only one choice. Back to Newmar with this coach. To remedy this problem 100%, quite a bit of the coach will need to be ripped out and reinstalled. Only Newmar should do this. All your communications should be copied to Matt Utley, He is the VP of service. Explain your disappointment and that you expect Newmar to rip out what ever needs ripping out, letting the coach dry out and making the coach new again. It is important you deliver the coach to Newmar. Eye ball to eye ball with the tech lead will help ensure the correct repair is done. Daily/weekly updates are required.

For me, mold is the biggest worry.

Tell Newmar you need the coach as it was when it came from production. Simple as that. Nothing less will do. If they do not get it right this time, you want the coach replaced. Having some local company do what Newmar says for them to do is absurd. This will lead to an incomplete repair, guaranteed.

FYI, I've watched this process before. You'll need to take command and politically correctly but firmly ensure Newmar knows what you expect. Lastly, put your expectations in writing.
Good luck.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
Old 04-20-2015, 12:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi uncnavy2000,
There is only one choice. Back to Newmar with this coach. To remedy this problem 100%, quite a bit of the coach will need to be ripped out and reinstalled. Only Newmar should do this. All your communications should be copied to Matt Utley, He is the VP of service. Explain your disappointment and that you expect Newmar to rip out what ever needs ripping out, letting the coach dry out and making the coach new again. It is important you deliver the coach to Newmar. Eye ball to eye ball with the tech lead will help ensure the correct repair is done. Daily/weekly updates are required.

Tell Newmar you need the coach as it was when it came from production. Simple as that. Nothing less will do. If they do not get it right this time, you want the coach replaced. Having some local company do what Newmar says for them to do is absurd. This will lead to an incomplete repair, guaranteed.

FYI, I've watched this process before. You'll need to take command and politically correctly but firmly ensure Newmar knows what you expect. Lastly, put your expectations in writing.
Good luck.
X2. Gary hit it exactly, as did FlaTom. After all of Newmar's rebuild (not just a dealer), insist on a written warranty extension for electrical components that might have been impacted.
Old 04-20-2015, 12:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Hi uncnavy2000,

Good luck.
Hi uncnavy2000,

I would follow GaryKD's advice. He's spot on. I would not let any dealer touch this mess. The damage is too in depth to be trusted to anyone but the factory.

How disappointing to buy the top of the line coach only to have this happen. How did this slip through quality control, especially on the top of the line coach. I think Newmar claims that their water systems are tested to 100psi. It sure shouldn't come apart with only water pump pressure.
Old 04-20-2015, 12:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Hi uncnavy2000,

Good luck.
X3 on this. I would waste no time and drive right back to the factory. They should be waiting for you. When you have spent this kind of money(or any amount for that matter) you deserve the best of service, and that will only come from the factory. I would bet they need to put this back on the line and rip out any and all components, wood, insulation ect that were affected by the water. This may take some time, but it needs to be done right to give you the peace of mind you deserve and less likelihood for future problems.
Old 04-20-2015, 12:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Hi uncnavy2000,

Good luck.
Guys,

I was parked next to you at Camp Newmar on your last night there. I cannot tell you how sorry I am to hear this has happended to you. The customization of your King Aire was absolutely magnificent, inside and out.

I share your concerns for not only immediate repairs, but long-term future issues as well; not only electrical, but water incursion to anything made of wood is potentially catastrophic.

With the amount and degree of the potential damage, I whole-heartedly agree with Gary's advice, and would consider no other option other than getting the coach back to Newmar. Any off-site repair options could not begin to replicate the quality of work of those who built it.

I wish you well.

Jigs
Old 04-20-2015, 12:35 PM   #11

You now have a flood damaged coach. Not what you paid for. A replacement coach or serious price adjustment is within reason. The plumbing should not have come apart. Your description does not suggest any basis for shared liability. Let us know where it goes.
Old 04-20-2015, 12:38 PM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
If you can't easily get your coach back to Newmar, insist they send someone to pick it up. If this happened to your car, it would most likely be totaled. I'm sorry this happened to you, but this really isn't your problem, IMHO, it's Newmar's now.

2015 F-150 King Ranch LB 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost Toad, Texas Boomers RV Club
FMCA F392298, NRA Benefactor, Newmar KK Lone Stars South
Old 04-20-2015, 12:46 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
I tend to agree with the camp that says replace the coach. Damage from this big a flood is not easy to repair. For example, the water has probably leached up the wood in cabinets, etc, saturated the floor, joists and insulation, as well as rained on all the equipment in the basement.

Newmar will try to minimize their liability like any company who is in business to make money does, but in this case they need to step up and do the right thing. This water leak should never have happened.
Old 04-20-2015, 12:57 PM   #14
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I agree with the others, the coach has to go back to Newmar. No one can repair it like the factory can.

Closed Thread

Tags
advice, water