Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2009, 06:23 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ext. Ladder Placement

Hi Newmar Gang!!

Need advice. Have 08, 4502 Essex and ofcourse there's no roof access ladder on the back. So, after shopping around, we pchd. a Werner, model MT/17 (17 ft.) folding, telescoping ladder from Lowes for $200. (FYI, if anyone wants to know for storage purposes, it's folded up dimensions are: 55" longest, 25" widest, and 8 1/2" thickest.) Have also pchd. ladder mitts and some rubber (not styrofoam) pipe insulation for padding ladder rail contact points with top edge of rig.

Wife and I disagree about where we were told is the best place to position the ladder in order to access the top of the rig without damaging either the awning cowling if on psngr. (curb) side or the false cowling at the top edge of the rig if on the driver (street) side. Incidentally, one tech who previously worked on our batwing, placed his ladder and accessed roof going over the side window to the left of the driver seat. His similar extension ladder was padded and extended a foot or so above the fwd. sloping front roof cap just ahead of that false awning cowling above the driver.

I know I can NOT use the back end of the rig, but I've eyed the possibility of going up over the front center above the windshield where the three amber running lights are somewhat recess mounted aft of the roof cap curve.

How durable is that fwd. sloping roof cap material above the window on the driver (street) side vs. over center above windshield?

Although I think we were told to access roof over the driver's street side false awning immediately aft of the livingrm./kit. slideout, wife recalls being told to use the same location but on the curb side. I hesitate leaning ladder against the awning cowling, but don't want to crack the false cowling on the other side either.

Do any of you with similar rigs have any suggestions??? Ya see.....I'm trying to avoid one of those....."I TOLD ya so" husband/wife interludes!!!!! THANKS GANG!! Steve & Lynette
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2009, 09:29 PM   #2

Hi Steve! On both our '07 MADP (which is about the same as your coach) and our current coach (about 6" Higher then yours) I lean the ladder against the coach over the entrance door. I have also gone up by leaning it against the coach over the drivers window. I like the entrance side better. Never a scratch or problem. The factory guys put a ladder next to a slide and step on top of the slide to get up to the roof. I find that a little hard to make the step with the slide topper there. They are pretty good at it. I would not try going up over the windshield. It would be hard to get up to the roof when you reach the top of the ladder. I also would not want to risk wacking the windshield with the ladder. Let us know what you wind up doing. Paul
Old 03-20-2009, 04:36 AM   #3

A friend with a newer Foretravel and no ladder also uses a ladder on the rear of the larger living room slide.
I haven't tried it yet but am still looking for the best way as Talladega without getting on the roof is going to be tough to take.
racer0624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:45 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use a different ladder, it is a convertable Extension/Step ladder but more traditional (When folded it is just like any other step ladder folded)

I installed a pair of custom made "J" hooks near the roof line

I installed a standard Stainless Steel Shower or bath "Grab Bar" near the bottom

I hang the ladder on the hooks and strap it to the grab bar, add padlock to insure non-walk off and .. Well, all is very good
Old 03-20-2009, 09:50 AM   #5

Hi Steve:

We too have an '08 Essex. I have a Little Giant, Type 1A, Model 17 ladder and it has rather soft plastic tip ends. I always place it on the door side, between the living rooms slide and the bedroom slide, right about where the large front awning ends and the rear awning begins. I have been on the roof many times as have workmen who have worked on the Datastorm Satellite and the KVH antenna. Never a scratch on the paint surface, and a very stable place to access the roof. Hope this helps.

King

2008 EXDP 4502
txwino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 05:30 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
G'morning txwino: Thanks for info. Guess my wife was right.....as is often the case!! So do I understand correctly that ya place the very tips of your ladder at the top edge of the verticle sidewall immediately under the Girard cowling..... not extended above that cowling? In other words, the tips of the ladder are leaning directly against that trim strip running horizontally at the top of the sidewall and just below the awning??? I assume ya use ladder mitts (padding)...huh? Thanks again for instructions. Steve
Old 03-21-2009, 05:49 AM   #7

When it comes to ladders i will only use a step ladder so there is no contact at all on the side or the top of coach.That ladder is at my home base.It's either a step ladder or no ladder at all for my coach,and that goes for tech's as well.!
Old 03-21-2009, 08:33 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Bigblock: Thanks for input, but we are fulltimers (no "home base" at which to store stuff). As such, we needed a ladder that'll fit somewhere into bsmnt. area of rig. A step ladder that would be high enough won't fit into our storage bay compartments and thus we elected to pch. the folding/telescoping Werner. I'm aware other ladderless rig owners DO use the extension type and have done so w/o problems. Just need advice on "best" access point. Thanks again. Steve
Old 03-21-2009, 08:59 AM   #9

Good Mornin to you both. You are absolutely correct with regard to the placement of the ladder tips - top of sidewall, under Girard cowling. Yes, I do use ladder mitt's, but the Little Giant I have has relatively soft tips so I could probably get away without using them - sometimes I just like redundancy.
We are also fulltimers so have to have a ladder that we can carry with us. Ours fits nicely, vertically on its side, in the 1/2 storage compartment just forward of the entertainment center compartment, so it doesn't have a very large footprint on the floor of the compartment.

Safe travels to you both.

King and Cathy

2008 EXDP 4502
txwino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 05:19 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
txwino: THANK YOU, THANK YOU. Will soon be giving it try at the point you suggested. Have just spent 1/2 a day rearranging bsmnt. bins to accomodate my new ladder and finally got the puzzel all together......now.....if I can just recall what's in every spot we'll be o.k. Thanks again for your help. Steve & Lynette