Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2016, 06:31 AM   #1

Extended Battery Charger

Our 2016 Baystar has 4 6V batteries for the house that obviously are connected to produce 12V. My question is do I need a 6V or 12V battery tender charger for the off season storage?
RainHurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2016, 06:37 AM   #2

If you are removing them from the coach you can use either 6v or 12v for charging depending if you connect them in series/parallel or individually. Can't say I have seen a 6v charger for a while though.
If you are leaving them in the coach and you have access to 120v why not just use the charger that is built in to the coach. That's what I do.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 06:38 AM   #3

You should be able to use the on-board system to maintain your batteries. Simply plug in the power cord.

If your removing them, each battery needs a 6 volt charger.

If left in place, with the jumper between them, treat them like a 12 volt battery. Use the cables that leave the batteries, to power the MH, as your + and - .
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 11:27 AM   #4

I have used battery maintainers for the past 3 years. I have one chassis battery and 2 6volt house batteries. During the winter months, I use a CTEK 12V Multi US7002 maintainer (recommended by Interstate Battery) and connect in series for the house batteries. For the chassis battery, I use a Battery Tender. I disconnect the chassis battery and shut off the house side so that the only electrical connection are the Maintainers. When I return from the desert, I merely close the connection to the chassis, turn on the house switch and fire her up without a hitch.

Obviously, I have power available but I hate to allow the converter/charger to be running for over 5 months. I am not around to 'patrol' my unit in my absence.
lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 11:42 AM   #5

I am confused by Newmar owners that pay a premium for a coach that has An Excellent battery maintenance system and then go out and purchase another battery charger to do what the OEM system was designed to do.

My coach has been plugged in to shore power 24/7 when we are not traveling. I check the water levels in my house batteries every 3-4 months and top up with distilled water as required. My batteries are over six years old and going strong. I expect at least another 3-4 years out of them.
All this from a battery maintenance system that you folks don't seem to trust.
Old 09-12-2016, 03:29 PM   #6

Another change that I made other than the maintainers is the way the shore power charger worked. When parked without shore power for a period of 3 weeks, the chassis would alway be dead. I tried to use the power share to start. Apparently when plugged in, Newmar chargers (in 2011) only charged the house and did nothing for the chassis. The solenoid to mate the two battery banks would not kick in because it was powered by the Chassis side resulting in me needing to jump them. Needless to say I got tired of this procedure until I got things changed. Now when plugged in, the house is charged first and trickled to the chassis. Why the solenoid was wired to chassis I do not know. Now, I just feel more comfortable keeping things charged while not worrying about some electric component in the motor home running. A lot cheaper replacing a maintainer than a converter/charger. Just say'n.
Old 09-12-2016, 05:03 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
This problem with Bay Star coach's keeps coming up with the house batteries and also keeping the chassis battery charged.
I can understand lundy's problem and why he is doing things to keep his batteries charged.
He is duplicating what the normal battery charging system in every other Newmar coach has always done for me and other members other than the Bay Star owners.
This link explains how every other Newmar coach battery charging system works and how the BS should also work.
Depending on year of coach you will have a BIRD OR B.I.M System to charge your batteries with 120 volts available for the converter to operate.
As the diagrams show your system meaning Bay Star should be wired this way, if not owners should be finding out why from the Newmar Tech's as to why not.
Every Newmar coach I have owned and other owners have only had to plug in their shore power cord for 110-120 volts to keep all battery system fully charged through out the winter season and a BS should be able to do the same, if no 110 is not available than it would be necessary to pull batteries and charge them at home.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 05:22 PM   #8

007, thanks for your narrative. I know what they did, I just can't tell you how. Between the 2 changes made (summer and winter), I am now a happy camper. I did not contact Newmar regarding this. My local RV Techs identified my problems and acted accordingly. I don't know if it was just my coach or something the factory doesn't do.

I'm still just a little paranoid because I still carry my power pack, just in case. Never have had to use it for me ---- just for others!!!
Old 09-12-2016, 05:51 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Lundy I am glad your happy but you have many fellow BS owners that are not, if some are happy with their charging system I wish they would inform others as to what Newmar may have done for them.
All the trouble you have gone through should have been corrected by Newmar and what they have done posted in COM_NET or by some other means for the BS owners that still have the problem.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 05:59 PM   #10

Fully agree, Newmar should and most likely will correct this issue.

Tags
battery