Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2017, 11:55 AM   #1

Extended warranty recommendations

I believe there are good threads on this already? Could anyone refer me to them or give a recommendation on an extended warranty company that is good to work with?

I also believe it's important if dealers and places like Cummins is willing to "deal" through the warranty company or at least provide the information the "owner" needs for reimbursement.

I appreciate any help and recommendations!

Thank you,
JETJDM79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2017, 03:56 PM   #2

We bought a service contract (they are not extended warranties) through Coach-Net with Dealers Alliance. Expensive, but so are repairs to a motorhome. Cost was $6k for 4 yrs 48k miles. If you decide to get a service contract, also get the Consequential Damages coverage. Many times insurers will not cover an item damaged by the failure of a connected or related component without this coverage. I sleep better at night and if I never have to file a claim in the remaining 3 years of the contract, I will be ok with that.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 04:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Swede View Post
We bought a service contract (they are not extended warranties) through Coach-Net with Dealers Alliance. Expensive, but so are repairs to a motorhome. Cost was $6k for 4 yrs 48k miles. If you decide to get a service contract, also get the Consequential Damages coverage. Many times insurers will not cover an item damaged by the failure of a connected or related component without this coverage. I sleep better at night and if I never have to file a claim in the remaining 3 years of the contract, I will be ok with that.

Perfect! Thanks for the clarity and recommendation! Much appreciated!
JETJDM79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 09:50 AM   #4

Extended Warranty

We purchased one from our dealer, NIRVC, just before our 1 year Newmar warranty expired. Prices vary, depending on time length, mileage, age of coach, deductible, coverage, etc. The nice thing about the product sold by NIRVC is they waive the deductible if service is performed at any of their 3 locations. If you live, or travel, near a dealer you like and trust, you may want to check with them to see if they have a product like we bought.

If addition to Consequential Damages, I think most people recommend an exclusionary policy (everything not listed on the exclusion page is covered). It is much easier to know what is and is not covered.
woodosgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 01:29 PM   #5

While at the FMCA rally in Phoenix this past winter we went to a couple of classes on extended warranties and they can be very tricky. A couple of my takeaways were as mentioned above is get a policy that lists what's not covered, and the other thing to be careful of is buying policy thru the dealer, as they are grabbing a piece of the action$$. Another important thing to keep in mind is the warranty transferable, so if you sell coach it will transfer and make new buyer more at ease about what he's buying
A lot also depends on mileage, where you store it, what the current condition is etc.
So all that being said we went with a Good Sam Gold program. I'm not a big fan of CWorld, GSam, however comparing what they offered it was the best program for me. I believe we are paying 1900/yr and that is locked in for the entire 6yrs.
Hope this helps, do your homework it will pay off
Old 08-16-2017, 05:21 PM   #6

USA travel care

I just purchased a Newmar DP DS 2006, the dealer offered me 2 service contracts ne being USA travel care administered by AGWS (American Guardian warranty services ) does anyone have any experience with this company
RichieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieB View Post
I just purchased a Newmar DP DS 2006, the dealer offered me 2 service contracts ne being USA travel care administered by AGWS (American Guardian warranty services ) does anyone have any experience with this company
I have AGWS and have just filed my first claim had 4 minor issues but they only covered 1 have leak in both side front Windows (minor) they don't cover seals, LED light strip on awning has a small 6" section out they don't cover light bulbs HDMI cable to main TV doesn't work this is covered as far as the 2 leaks the wheep holes we plugged up dealer cleaned out no more issue the LED light will cost me about 30.00 to switch out myself no big deal. I mainly Purchased it for major issues but decided to give it a try while I had it in for my oil change service
Dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:26 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
We have United States Warranty Corp. US Warranty they covered 2 claims 1 on our control board for our HWH leveling jacks and another for a motor for the jacks and slide outs. Of course we paid the deductible on both ($200.) I don't work for this company. Good luck on who ever you choose
More-Gas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:38 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I bought my Portfolio policy thru Wholesale Warranties. Two claims so far with no problems.

https://www.wholesalewarranties.com/

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:15 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
I'm not sure if there worth the money since most coaches have 50k-100k drivetrain warranty's which should cover you in the case of motor/trans/gears ect failure... My Canyon Star I spent way under 2k on repairs in 6yrs of ownership...
Sicduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 11:57 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have Portfolio thru wholesale warranty as well. They have been very good. I've replaced 2 air conditioners in the last 6 months. Had my HWH Jack system repaired (new control panel and control module) and had a ft caliper freeze and burn up the ABS sensor on that wheel. They covered the side that went bad but I had to pay the other side (highly recommended what you do to one side with brakes you do to the other). Also, my step repair from the recall failed and had to be done again. Lippert provided another recall kit and a mobile repairman removed steps and did the repair. All things considered I am glad I got it when I brought my coach from the first owner--he owned his own trucking company and did all servicing himself so it was well taken care of but spent most its life in FL with the salt air and hot sun.
Also, I think the Ford F53 warranty is only 3yr/36000 bumper to bumper chassis, and 5 yr /60000 power train--at least mine says that. So I am covered to 75000 and 7 years plus it is transferable if I sell.
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:01 AM   #12

You will get a better deal if you get your service plan just a few days prior to the Newmar factory warranty expiration. I have Coachnet, total coverage, including tires and wheels for under $4k for 7 yrs coverage. It has already more than paid for itself. They have been easy to work with ( per the repair shops that have done the work) and have covered everything they said they would. I have a $100 deductable.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 08:29 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have an ExtraRide policy. I have saved more than I paid. They have been easy for the repair shops to work with.
mikelm48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 01:27 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Before you sign on the dotted line, look at all the fine print for the limit of the policy. We were about to buy one, but when we received the full paperwork by email and read carefully through it, we realized that the amount of coverage wasn't hugely higher percentagewise than the cost of the policy. It didn't seem to us to make sense to definitely pay $X to get only a maximum of 1.5 times $X back. I think some of the plans cover up to the new value of the unit but the one we almost bought didn't come anywhere close to that. That was a very important detail that hadn't come up even once when we talked to the salesman.
lucyh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
extended warranty, warranty