Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2020, 09:16 PM   #15

I have been driving Newmars for nearly 15 years, minimal repairs, two different coaches, no protection plan and never wished we had one. If you are going to fret about the “what if” then maybe, otherwise save your money and resist the strong dealer push to sell these high commission products.
Breezy2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2020, 09:28 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Call Wholesale Warranties and see what they offer. RV repair rates here are now $150 to $195 per hour and parts aren't cheap. Make the decision on a policy yourself.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 10:53 PM   #17

It is basically just paying for your repairs in advance.
Old 12-21-2020, 01:10 PM   #18

When I had an expensive slide repair on my Fleetwood I took it to the factory service center. I did not have a service contract on it at the time so it was all on me. But I did ask them about Good Sam plans as I’d had one in the past and they said they are as good as any and better than some and that my repair would have been covered. At $1400 it was less than the plan would have cost but I certainly would have liked having it that day. I think reading the fine print, following it carefully and choosing a repair shop that knows how to work with the plan administrator - and is willing to do so - is key.
Old 12-22-2020, 11:06 PM   #19

Our KSDP was 8 when we bought it. I figured some things could be near the end of their life.
Sure enough front tv went, the rear ac / heat pump stopped blowing hot air, the front load washing machine started making noise and the awning motor went.
I more than broke even on my policy after 2 years, and at 4 years I had a total of 12k paid out on a 4K policy.
If your coach is near new it may not be the best decision, but for my situation it was a good decision.
Old 12-23-2020, 06:48 AM   #20

An Extended Warranty pretty much is a gamble you're making in that you bet you are going to spend more on repairs than the price of the EW. Secondly and probably more importantly you're insuring against major financial loss if you have a major catastrophe. So you're also buying peace of mind.

If you do decide to get one shop around before you sit down to do the deal, knowledge can save you thousands of dollars.

P.S. We bought a used DS last year and an EW. I find since I have it I am much more apt to have it repaired rather than wait.
Old 12-23-2020, 07:02 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsonbob View Post
We will be taking delivery next week of 2015 Dutch Star 4369, with 9,700 miles on it. It’s been stored indoors its whole life, has been very well-maintained and is in fabulous condition. We are purchasing it from North Trail in Fort Myers. What are your thoughts and experience with extended warranties? Has anyone purchased & had any experience with the Warranty product North Trail sells? The Warranty is EasyCare-Total Care, the highest level of coverage. It’s 4yrs/48k miles with a $500 deductible for $5800. A lower $250 deductible is $7400. They are also offering a five year zero dollar deductible tire road hazard warranty for $599 This coach is absolutely loaded, and has all but 1-2 factory option as far as I can tell and the number/variety of systems is both impressive but somewhat concerning. I know there have been some slide issues and upholstery delamination issues with these coaches. This one just had the full slide realigned but also has upgraded Mountain Air upholstery, with no signs of delamination or other issues.

Any thoughts, input and especially experiences appreciated.

Thanks.

Bob
We all have opinions and that is just what they are, I will give you my reasoning and experiences I have had with three different Newmars all with extended service agreements. The first one was on a 2003 DSDP which paid for itself for the three years I owned it, I had an AC go out, entry steps replaced and the Ball joints replaced and several smaller issues these items nearly paid for the cost of the extended warranty. The next coach was a 2009 DADP and when the warranty expired they refused to reissue as they said they paid out more that the warranty cost, my calculation showed they made about $1000. I will say that these were written by Route 66 and they paid without any hassle. The current policy is with Wholesale Warranties and has only been used a few times without issue. I could have paid these cost without breaking the bank but my real concern is an engine or transmission issue. I consider it, for what it is, an insurance policy and hope it is not needed.

If you choose not to purchase one consider setting up a maintenance account to handle repairs, that is in essence what the warranties companies do, they just have a large number of coaches and the averages play in their favor.
Old 12-23-2020, 07:31 AM   #22
YC1

That is good seed money. Put it in the bank and put a hundred or two more each month into the same maintenance account.

Since we were going full time I thought it would be a good idea to get one. Bought the best they had. First claim was denied. Small print said "emissions components" not covered.

Cost me $5k. Less that 35 thousand miles on the rv.

Most things you can fix and I say you need to be handy with tools, a voltmeter, and a check book to keep one of these monsters on the road. If not handy with those your unit will live in the service shop a large amount of the time.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 09:01 AM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
Reading these post it would seem that the insurance company that issues these extended warranties are losing money hand over fist. I bet that the majority of people don't come close to exceeding the amount they paid for them.

I have had my Newmar for 18 months and fixed all the problems so far with a screwdriver. When I purchased my first Class A about 4 years ago I put 20K in to a money market that I could get the money in less than 48 hours. Over the 4 years I up about 21% and in another year I would more than the amount that I would spent on extended warranty. It's a gamble but I'm a small business person and made gambles all my life. In 1995 I started a Internet Service Provider (ISP) business and was the laughing stock of all smart business people and doomed to fail.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 09:20 AM   #24

Extended Service Plan.........
How do you think they continue to stay in business and be profitable??
Denying Claims...Exclusion Clause is written to give them an OUT

Take the monies that it would cost to purchase and put into an RV Fund......then add to it monthly
*RV Savings FUND and do NOT touch it unless it is an Emergency
***Routine repairs/replacements should just be part of owning/maintaining the RV ----NOT from the RV FUND
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 09:22 AM   #25

Workhorse Chassis Owner
To the OP.....first what is your financial situation. Can you come up with the payments for 12 months or so...without any hardship ? This is not a warranty...it is an "extended service contract". A diesel engine power train repair/replacement means..... "now we are talking real money" as Sen. Everett Dirksen was fond of saying. Exclusionary contract with seals and gaskets and other add-on options are the way to go. Comparison shop and get voided copies of each contract and read them twice and than look at the very bottom to see who is the insurance company backing the contract....and who is the administrator....who wants to deny your claim...maybe.
Old 12-23-2020, 09:25 AM   #26

Something my dad told me many. many moons ago. You insure for the things you can't afford to replace. For many or most that boils down to real estate and vehicles.

That said, the most expensive things to fix on your rig are the engine and running gear along with the appliances. I would see if I could get a policy that covers what you don't want to pay for out of pocket. I agree that some folks make out on "extended warranties" which are really just service contracts, but most don't. I have talked to Wholesale Warranties and they will issue a policy just for the chassis if I recall my conversation correctly, but check. Your money your call.

If you don't want your coach tied up for months at a time waiting for repairs I would suggest you learn how to fix lots of things yourself.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 10:26 AM   #27

Well, I had an extended service plan that I purchased after having so many issues with our new Dutch Star back in 2013. I bought it just before the factory warranty expired and paid under $4k for 7 years coverage. The policy paid for itself with all the repairs and equipment that had to be repaired /replaced of the years. Plus peace of mind knowing that whatever happens will cost me $100 deductible and that's all. That coverage is going to expire shortly. So, I contacted all the major companies that offer coverage and am glad I was sitting down when I received the quotes. 4-5 year coverage is ranging from $15k to $18K. I will not be going that route. I'll be self-insured going forward at those prices.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 11:30 AM   #28

I don't see the peace of mind argument.

If you want to have peace of mind get yourself and envelope put money in it every week.

If you need it, it is there, if you don't you have a nice savings.

Or invest it in a way it makes money for you and you can still take it out.

To give an insurance company thousands of dollars on a hope you might need it someday just doesn't make sense to me.

The Odds are you will never use it, so your just flushing money down the toilet.

Insurance companies aren't rich because they pay on every contract.

JMO

Ted.

Tags
extended warranty, warranty