Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2018, 09:24 AM   #15

We got an extended warranty from another company at half the price of the dealerships. They just want way too much. Look around and compare with other companies.
WulfHaslett is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2018, 09:47 AM   #16

No to a new RV, maybe if 5-10 years old.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:16 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by plane View Post
I have a slightly different take on the warranty issue. The first question is are you knowledgeable enough to handle many of your mechanical and technical issues. second can you afford to be self insured. Many of the newer coaches are highly technical and I for one get out of my expertise in a hurry. I have had warranty's or service contracts on my last 2 coaches and have generally found I would have been better off being self insured, but not by much. However I did feel better knowing that should I have a catastrophic engine, transmission generator or other high cost failure I would be covered. I had Route 66 and they had either a $35 vs a $100 deductible depending if the repair shop was within their preferred dealer list or not. They had the requirement to have work pre-approved and to inspect but they never did.It is a personal decision and everyone has their own take on it, just like me but it did give piece of mind.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 12:11 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Extended warranty—yes or no

Quote:
Originally Posted by plane View Post
I have a slightly different take on the warranty issue. The first question is are you knowledgeable enough to handle many of your mechanical and technical issues. second can you afford to be self insured. Many of the newer coaches are highly technical and I for one get out of my expertise in a hurry. I have had warranty's or service contracts on my last 2 coaches and have generally found I would have been better off being self insured, but not by much. However I did feel better knowing that should I have a catastrophic engine, transmission generator or other high cost failure I would be covered. I had Route 66 and they had either a $35 vs a $100 deductible depending if the repair shop was within their preferred dealer list or not. They had the requirement to have work pre-approved and to inspect but they never did.It is a personal decision and everyone has their own take on it, just like me but it did give piece of mind.

Plane for the sake of comparison, can you share the initial cost of your Route 66 plan, and what motorhome you had the coverage on? Did you purchase it on your own or was it purchased from a dealer at the time of sale? Thank you very much. Sturtan
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 12:31 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlott2k View Post
No to a new RV, maybe if 5-10 years old.
What he said.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:12 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
Plane for the sake of comparison, can you share the initial cost of your Route 66 plan, and what motorhome you had the coverage on? Did you purchase it on your own or was it purchased from a dealer at the time of sale? Thank you very much. Sturtan
I have purchased a policy on two separate units that were used and about 3 or 4 years old #1 2003 DSDP which required the ball joint replacement which total parts and Labor of about $3000 as well as a roof top AC of about $1200 those two items came close to the cost, but other things I had done and the refund on the unused time was prorated so I had no complaints. #2 was a 2009 DADP on that one the cost over 4 years came to within $500 of the cost and I traded about the time the policy was up, I doubt they would have renewed the policy should I have needed to. Both policies were included in my negotiations with the dealer

On the New Aire I just bought I will wait until the factory warranty is over and I have a better idea as to how much maintenance this unit seems to require. I am somewhat of a realist as to my abilities to fix this high tech stuff and I am somewhat concerned. The problem about the Route 66 policy is that because of the low deductible some things get fixed through the warranty that could be easily fixed by owner making the cost a bit higher.

As I said this is an individual decision which somewhat has to relate to that individuals level of expertise and having the location and tools to work on these rigs. If an individual has the ability and the funds available to self insure that has to be considered.
Old 03-18-2018, 02:03 PM   #21

Definitely not! Especially if you buy a quality coach from a quality manufacturer. We believe that Newmar and the Dutch Star was that combination.
All the best,

Jeff and Lynn
Jeff426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:51 AM   #22

Let me pipe in here.
I ordered a 2013 4338 Dutch Star and took delivery in April 2013. I was offered an extended warranty from the dealership and declined it. I have NEVER purchased an extended warranty before.

During the first 10 months of ownership it was in the shop for 6 months having warranty work done. I got Newmar to extend the warranty by the time it was out of my possession and in the shop, but at that point I decided to look at extended service plans. I purchased a top to bottom, all inclusive plan, including road side service, from Coach net for a little under $4k for 7 years coverage. I have a $100 deductible per shop visit, regardless if I have them fix 1 thing or 100 things.

Some of the things that have been fixed/replaced under the extended service plan are 3 different slides that broke, a new washing machine, a new dash radio/gps ,dash air repaired 2x, 2 roof A/C's replaced plus numerous other smaller items. Right now it's in the Cummins/Onan shop having the genset pulled to replace the fuel pump. The genset had to be pulled due to Newmar not having a cutout/clearance on the genny slide to access the pump. I was going to do it myself, until I got under there and saw the great engineering/design that they implemented.

The cost of the extended service plan has way more than paid for itself. Plus, I really don't worry about future issues, if something should happen, I know the max out of pocket will be $100. The peace of mind is worth it. Knowing if/when I have something go wrong that I don't wish to tackle myself, I just call the nearest shop of my choosing, and take it in for covered repairs.

Key items are to understand what you are getting and thoroughly read the contract before signing,make sure the repair shop contacts the insurer before making repairs , don't buy a service contract when you purchase the coach, wait almost until the first year is up, that way you use the factory coverage that was included and most extended service plan have significant rate reductions if your coach is under 1 year old. Any older, they increase the rates.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 02:59 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The value of ESPs are a common topic here that generate a lot of opinions. Obviously, a subjective choice each owner contemplates or makes depending upon their own personal choices or better, their individual financial risk tolerance.
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 10:58 AM   #24

Extended warranties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warsand View Post
On our way to pay for our new Ventana LE3709! Was reading through the site the last couple of days to see what people thought of Newman extended warranties. Maybe lack of search skills but never saw a clear discussion—so I thought I would start one. Many opinions I am sure, but would mostly like to hear experiences,

Thanks
We have a New Aire that will be off the Newmar line in a few days. Researched a few companies and found Wholesale warranties offering an exclusionary policy (THE ONLY POLICY TO CONSIDER) for under $6,000 for seven years...really six since Newmar pays in year one. Our reasoning is as follows:
There are dozens of sensors and computers operating the various systems. The cost to troubleshoot and repair can be very expensive. The policy cost breaks down to less than $1,000/yr to protect a $300,000 coach.
The items not covered make sense, tires, brake pads, awning material and similar components that we wouldn’t expect coverage. The deductible is $200.
We never have purchased an extend warranty, but even if it doesn’t pay for itself it adds some resale value and a hell of a lot of peace of mind.
Charlievette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 06:51 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlievette View Post
We have a New Aire that will be off the Newmar line in a few days. Researched a few companies and found Wholesale warranties offering an exclusionary policy (THE ONLY POLICY TO CONSIDER) for under $6,000 for seven years...really six since Newmar pays in year one. Our reasoning is as follows:
There are dozens of sensors and computers operating the various systems. The cost to troubleshoot and repair can be very expensive. The policy cost breaks down to less than $1,000/yr to protect a $300,000 coach.
The items not covered make sense, tires, brake pads, awning material and similar components that we wouldn’t expect coverage. The deductible is $200.
We never have purchased an extend warranty, but even if it doesn’t pay for itself it adds some resale value and a hell of a lot of peace of mind.
Why not wait until you've had the coach for 10/11 months then buy the policy. No sense in doubling up the first year. When I got my policy, as long you were under 1 year from delivery, you were fine on pricing.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 07:25 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLJOE View Post
This question comes up on many RV forum about every month. Of course prices range all over the place because most extended warranties are third party and the dealers can really mark them up.

IMHO if you can get a 5 year (coach only) extended warranty for $3,000 or under then it would be worth considering. Just a couple things that are not covered by FL or Cummins in my first 5 years could easily cost me more than that. And if nothing happens during that 5 years then I am lucky and blessed and everyone can call me stupid.

Many folks I talk to that disregard extended warranties still sign up for roadside assistance every year with someone. They will pay $80 to $300 a year without realizing that they probably are fully covered for roadside assistance already under their factory warranty and insurance for everything except a flat tire. So my question to them is always the same. If you think a regular extended warranty is a waste of money then why are you paying hundreds of dollars over a 5 year period to cover someone possibly having to come out and change a tire? Why not pocket that money and just pay when it happens?
We just purchased a 5 year full coverage extended warranty from United States Warranty Corporation on our 2014 Bounder for $1,900. $100 deductible and road service included. I couldn't talk myself out of it no matter how hard I tried.
BounderRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 07:42 PM   #27

I will be the minority here for sure. I would never own a machine this complicated, with an engine, chases and all of the mechanical parts like it has without an extended warranty. We paid $5,400 for an extended warranty and we are glad we did. We are out of warranty by two months and our step motor stopped working and needs to be replaced. The more you use the coach the more likely problems will develop. Our Newmar is awesome and well built however what will likely fail along the way are mechanical parts from their vendors. I sleep better knowing I have my Master Certified Mechanic's cell phone number to walk me through any issues I encounter and manage the repair through the extended warranty company as well as help fix or get the problem resolved. For $900 a year I feel its cheap insurance and piece of mind.
snowhawk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 08:29 PM   #28

Here's the thing.....an Extended Warranty may work for some, not for others....just like insurance policies. Not everyone has a claim. If you like the coverage it offers and can afford the price, it's peace of mind! Period! Buy it or don't! IT'S AMERICA!!! FREEDOM TO CHOOSE! What a wonderful place to live!

Tags
extended warranty, warranty