RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2019, 04:14 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Extending 2020 Dutch Star TPMS System to the Toad

Has anyone added TPMS Sensors to their toad to utilize the new TPMS system offered on the 2020 Dutch Star?
I contacted Valor and received a quote for 4 sensors and straps.
I was told that the new dash can be easily configured to show the tire pressures on your toad.

ShelbyTom1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2019, 07:26 PM   #2

I would be interested in this also as I have a 2020 MADP on order. What did Valor send to you for pricing and installation instructions? Looks like the senors are installed inside the tires of the towed vehicle.

cti2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyTom1 View Post
Has anyone added TPMS Sensors to their toad to utilize the new TPMS system offered on the 2020 Dutch Star?
I contacted Valor and received a quote for 4 sensors and straps.
I was told that the new dash can be easily configured to show the tire pressures on your toad.

Hi ShelbyTom1,

We have a 4081 Dutch Star with a Spartan Chassis on order, delivery September 28th. This information is only for a Spartan Chassis, didn’t recall what chassis you had on your 4081. I called Spartan and spoke with them, they sell the kit with the four sensors and straps. The sensors need to be mounted inside the tires on the center of the rims utilizing the straps provided with the sensors. There is a catch to this system, the sensors need to be programmed before the coach dash system will accept them. Spartan sells the “tool” which is a “program gun” that after the sensors are installed on the rim/s, tire/s installed on the rim/s, then tire/s installed on the vehicle, you point the gun at the tire and it programs the sensor. Naturally, the “program gun” costs $454.00 from Spartan. So, check to make sure your dealer has the gun, mine does. The sensor kit from Spartan, Spartan Part Number: SP-10001-004 - sensors and straps: $284.01.
I bought them and will install them next week - prepping toad for new coach!

Hope this helps.

Bruce
DS15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 10:02 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS15 View Post
Hi ShelbyTom1,

We have a 4081 Dutch Star with a Spartan Chassis on order, delivery September 28th. This information is only for a Spartan Chassis, didn’t recall what chassis you had on your 4081. I called Spartan and spoke with them, they sell the kit with the four sensors and straps. The sensors need to be mounted inside the tires on the center of the rims utilizing the straps provided with the sensors. There is a catch to this system, the sensors need to be programmed before the coach dash system will accept them. Spartan sells the “tool” which is a “program gun” that after the sensors are installed on the rim/s, tire/s installed on the rim/s, then tire/s installed on the vehicle, you point the gun at the tire and it programs the sensor. Naturally, the “program gun” costs $454.00 from Spartan. So, check to make sure your dealer has the gun, mine does. The sensor kit from Spartan, Spartan Part Number: SP-10001-004 - sensors and straps: $284.01.
I bought them and will install them next week - prepping toad for new coach!

Hope this helps.

Bruce
Bruce,
Thanks for the Spartan Part Number.
Your price is slightly less than the quote I received from Valor.
We also have a 4081 Dutch Star with a Spartan Chassis on order and I was aware of the “program gun” required. I will confirm with our Dealer that they have the tool.
Keep us posted on ease of programming and use.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Bruce,
Thanks for the Spartan Part Number.
Your price is slightly less than the quote I received from Valor.
We also have a 4081 Dutch Star with a Spartan Chassis on order and I was aware of the “program gun” required. I will confirm with our Dealer that they have the tool.
Keep us posted on ease of programming and use.
Will do, if we run into any issues, I’ll pass them on!
Enjoy the new coach when you get it, we’re looking forward to ours!

Bruce
Old 08-21-2019, 01:25 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
My dealer did not have the tool but is now looking into it.
I'm sure he will have it by the time my coach arrives.
Old 08-31-2019, 01:03 PM   #7
jrs

Don Rigby the Valor RV Representative is going to meet us at the factory during FPU in a couple weeks to set up our toad. At the time of purchase a couple months ago, he said he'd send the device for our use but requested a rapid return of it once finished setting it up. The Freightliner dash will also show the readings.
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 12:03 PM   #8

I’ve got a 2020 New Aire in order...interested in this as an option for my toad, a 2020 Jeep Gladiator. I know the Jeep has onboard TPMS, I am assuming it is the typical internal stem mounted variety.

Would the Valor interfere in anyway with the existing Jeep TPMS? In other words, when the Jeep is unhooked, would I still get info on the Jeep dash?

I have an EEZ TPMS on my current motorhome that I could easily reprogram for the Jeep, but I’d have something else on my dash to watch...Thoughts?
Old 09-25-2019, 05:50 AM   #9
jrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akdare View Post
I’ve got a 2020 New Aire in order...interested in this as an option for my toad, a 2020 Jeep Gladiator. I know the Jeep has onboard TPMS, I am assuming it is the typical internal stem mounted variety.

Would the Valor interfere in anyway with the existing Jeep TPMS? In other words, when the Jeep is unhooked, would I still get info on the Jeep dash?

I have an EEZ TPMS on my current motorhome that I could easily reprogram for the Jeep, but I’d have something else on my dash to watch...Thoughts?
1) It's mounted via a stainless steel band (like a hose clamp style band)
2) The Valor system hasn't interfered with my 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee
3) I've been getting some false readings at this point. Valor and Freightliner are aware and working on this..... has something to do with linking with the new digital dash.
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 08:20 AM   #10

Quote:
My dealer did not have the tool but is now looking into it.
I'm sure he will have it by the time my coach arrives.
Hi Tom,

Just wanted to let you know that we had NIRVC connect our toad to the TPMS Valor system. I was there when they were working with them on the cellphone speaker. It was straight forward, no issues. The coach TPMS will always display, you can switch to the toad TPMS through the up or down arrows but the coach is primary display. If there is a TPMS pressure issue on the toad, the TPMS “window” will automatically switch to the toad to display the low tire. So, essentially, whatever vehicle may have a tire pressure issue, the dash will automatically display that vehicle. It works, when I drove the coach and my Wife was several cars behind me the screen switched to the toad and displayed dashes for the tire pressure. I pressed “ok” on the wheel and it went back to the coach pressures. When she got behind me again it came up showing the toad and automatically switched back to the coach. The system is working great so far! Sorry it took awhile to respond, just got the coach about 2.5 weeks ago!

Bruce
Old 11-03-2019, 11:27 AM   #11

When we get our new coach, I’ll opt for something simpler than having to have my tires dismounted to install the sensors... seems crazy they don’t have external sensors that screw on the valve stems!
kpecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 11:55 AM   #12

So is this available for the 2020 new aire? We took delivery a few weeks ago and now are wondering what system to tow our jeep with and can my current 2013 Jeep Grand cherokee sensors be tied in? It has the freight liner chassis.
Also what tow system is everyone using? I don’t think the freight liner has the spartan tow system available.
Thanks.
ExRiveter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 01:13 PM   #13

Does the Valor sensors that go on the toad have batteries that need to be replaced periodically/annually ?
Old 11-03-2019, 05:02 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
Does the Valor sensors that go on the toad have batteries that need to be replaced periodically/annually ?
Valor website states are good for 5 - 7 years.

wishalls is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dutch star, toad, tpms