Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2021, 03:23 PM   #1

Extending the slide almost out and 1 1/4" difference front - back

2020 BS 3226 with rail and cog wheel on slide with problem. Before I left home I checked the the 2 front slide motor mounting bolts and I could not budge them. I'm in Bakersfield, CA, due to leave here on Mon. I extended the front curbside slide (8ft wide and not much weight) yesterday and heard a strange noise and stopped the extension. It had about 4" to go to be fully extended. Measured from the wall trim to slide fascia--the front is out 14 3/8" and the rear is 13 1/16". so about 1 1/4 out of square. I emailed Steve Moser at newmar. he asked for pix which I sent. I also sent them to my dealer in Spokane WA. In Jan, 2021 the dealer adjusted the slide because the front was out a little more than the rear. This last extend is the 2nd time I have tried to fully extend it.

I questioned the dealer regarding the Transtorque Bushing, end they said they never touched it. the round shaft from the screw in part to the bearing is about 8" and what looks like a LOT os fresh scratches along most of it's length. they could be from a pipe wrench--but not because it slipped and scratched. This part would not have been used with a pipe wrench to lossen the TTB. The 2 pieces of theTranstorque Bushing have a story line in blue on each piece and none of 3 line up. I thought that was how the in/out adjustments were made. see pix.
Since I did not hear back from Steve, I contacted a Mobile Tech the who left his card at the RV Park. He can't put me on a schedule for 2 weeks. He said he is familiar with Newmar slides, but swore there would be a shear pin between the motor and the cog wheel that is not as far out. I see no place for one.

So being on the road--I simply do not the right tools for this job. There is a Harbor Freight very close by. BUT I am an old guy with a bad back and not very strong anymore. I've read other posts this AM about gradually unscrewing the 1 1/12" tightening part, while holding a pipe wrench on the round part. and then banging it with small hammer. until it loosens. I do not have a 1/2 crowfoot, so no way I could retorque it to 125ft lbs anyway.

I have not tried to retract it. I could live with the slide fully retracted. But I don't want to do anything until I hear back from Steve. Do you guys have any suggestions? If more pix would help--please ask.
Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3921.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	473.9 KB
ID:	323319  
rondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2021, 04:35 PM   #2

It sounds like the trans torque bushing needs to be lossened so you then can push the slide in to square it up and then tightened. The nut is a 1 1/2 size and sometimes you can work on it without the 1 1/2 crowsfoot. Would recommend all Newmar owners have the 1 1/2 crowsfoot socket in their tool box.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 05:54 PM   #3

Thanks Tom. Would you guess those blue story line on the 2 pieces of the Transtorque Bushing and the one on the shaft to the left of the bushing were made in the factory, or by the dealer. The scratches on the shaft are somewhat telltale too.

Once the bushing is loose--can I, by myself, move the slide back in alternating with the forward side tooI suppose 4-6" at a time.

I forgot to mention--Maybe this is normal. The left side of the bushing is welded to the shaft on the right side of it.
Old 03-31-2021, 08:47 PM   #4

Because this slide is short (Less weight) and not dealing with the level floor ramp should be able to push in your self. Meet a couple at the last rally who have been for months just pushing the bed room slide in and out.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 02:14 PM   #5

If you can get the TTB loose, you can use a pipe wrench on the shaft on align it side to side. I couldn't get mine loose. I hired a young strong guy to do it, and it took everything he had to break it loose. And remember once you put it back, you need to re-torque it.
Old 04-01-2021, 02:54 PM   #6

Thanks guys for the help. My tech rep at Newmar for Bay Stars, Steve, called me this AM. While he was on the phone he had retract the slide. It came in, with front fascia sticking out about an inch--which was expected. He said the ONLY downside with it this way is wind noise. He wants me to have Guarrenty RV in OR fix it--said it would be 1/2hr to do. I'm still trying to make an appointment but since I did not buy it from them--it'll probably be 6 months out. IF so, I will fix it myself once at home.

I will buy a 1 1/2" crowfoot, which is actually on my list of tools to buy--I just haven't it done it. I trusted my dealer too much. I have plenty of metal pipe extensions, so if my 24" breaker bar doesn't work--adding a 4ft piece of pipe might

Regarding the story lines---Steve said they do not mean anything. So much for my theory that the dealer, even tho they deny it, loosened the TTB to get the fascia even with the frame of the opening. I now have no "proof" it left the factory with the story lines lined up. But as Steve said--he knows of no other way to make both sides even, maybe my dealer found a different way.
ron
Old 04-01-2021, 04:09 PM   #7
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rondi View Post
He wants me to have Guarrenty RV in OR fix it--said it would be 1/2hr to do. I'm still trying to make an appointment but since I did not buy it from them--it'll probably be 6 months out.
Call Guaranty RV at (541) 998-4285 and ask for Sherry Rouillard; she is the Newmar service rep there. If anyone can find a way to get you in for service, it will be Sherry. I know they are pretty busy right now (she told me that when we talked last week), but she'll make every effort to help you.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 05:29 PM   #8

TJ thanks. I called Sherry this early morning. Then I called and asked for Cindy. Cindy called me back about 15minutes before I posted the above. Then about 20 minutes ago Sherry called. I told her I already had talked to Cindy and she couldn't get me in. Sherry said she had 2 openings at 8am and I could choose which one--so I took the later one. So I'm gonna stay at their RV just down the road the night before. I was actually kinda looking forward to fixing it--but I'd bet these already have a 6ft breaker bar and weigh 250lbs
Old 04-01-2021, 05:56 PM   #9
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Glad you got in. Sherry is great and will usually find a way.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 07:45 PM   #10

This AM Sherry called and told me they had to cancel my appointment--too many other rigs that are in process and they can't get them done. Probably rigs that were bought from them--which should have a higher priority!. So I'm going to try and fix it myself. Not sure I can break loose a 145 ft lb tight bolt--IF it is that tight. Breaker bar and extension pipe . Actually 2--one for the TTB and one for the shaft that goes to the motor!

I got my 1 1/2" x 1/2" crows foot. Kinda neat to have Amazon ship it to their Locker Hub--got to Napa, CA in about 30 hours after I ordered it.

I also have an appointment at Guaranty for 5/13--the soonest she could get me in. She was VERY apologetic, and said numerous times she wants them to fix it--NOT my original dealer--which I agree with. There is a difference--original dealer is an hour away from home--Guaranty is 9 hours driving time--which is why we did not buy it from them. Of course now I'll have to pay to get it fixed, vs have my dealer fix his screwup.

Tags
slide