RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2016, 06:34 PM   #1

Exterior Security

I'm looking for a radar or motion device for the exterior. I want to know when I'm boondocking at WallMarts or rest stop I can be notified when anyone approaches my coach. I have such a hard time sleeping if I hear any kind of noise.

Maybe this is crazy but my peace of mind is more important.

Any ideas?

Yan & Shanti 2015 Dutchstar 4369 1st MH

tlc1244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2016, 06:40 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Do you want a inside alarm, or outside alarm?
I have taken a solar powered outdoor light with motion detector frlm harbor freight and added a $4 beeber from ebay. I hang it high on my roof ladder when parked.

There is also a remote driveway sensor. It is a motion detector, with wireless bell. From HF.

Regards,

Dan

Old 04-16-2016, 09:28 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
The problem with motion detectors and Wal-Marts, truck stop or rest areas is if someone in another vehicle pulls in beside you, they will set your detector off needlessly. For peace of mind talk to some alarm companies. Tell them you don't need to be monitored, you just want something that will warn you when appropriate.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:51 PM   #4

Sounds good driveway motion is a good suggestion so is security motion I will check thanks
Old 04-17-2016, 10:49 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
What's a beeber? Or maybe you mean beeper?
Old 04-17-2016, 11:24 PM   #6

You can buy an LED Solar charged light with a sensor at Costco for under $40. If you attached one to your ladder and one to the passenger side of your MH by the door, that would light everything up really good and most likely scare anyone off. You can set them for any distance, sensitivity, and time to stay on once activated. They work really well and I use them at home but have not taken them on the road.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 06:49 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Something like this:

https://larryalert.com/applications/

g
Indy Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 10:27 AM   #8

Like TonDi said . . . when I'm in a rest area or a parking lot people are always coming up to the RV. Honestly there aren't that many people who can afford them and most are just dreaming. Perfectly harmless and not sure I blame them. We all started out as dreamers.

What you really want to know is if someone is trying to break into a compartment or your door or something. So probably best to speak to security company to discuss options.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:41 AM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"tlc1244".....If you go to Harbor Freight, they sell a motion detector that works really well. The exterior component is about the size of a double thick deck of cards. The inside unit is about 6" tall, 4" wide and 2" deep. The inside unit has an audible alarm that sounds like a doorbell and flashing red lights. The outside unit uses a 9 volt battery and the inside unit uses 3 "C" cell batteries.

I live on a cul de sac that is fairly secluded. I like to know when someone stops. If I see the lights flash twice, it means they just drove around the loop and left. If it's late at night and there is only one flash, it's either a neighbor or someone has parked on the street. The inside unit is on a shelf above my TV, I disabled the audible alarm, because the LED's on the unit are very bright.

The exterior unit can be angled so I can set the distance I want it to read. It only reads to about the middle of the street. I can move the "read" in closer if I just angle it down. It would be perfect for what you want to do. You could Velcro it on above your door when parked. They're white in color, come in a box that is about 8" x 8" 4" and cost about $25.00.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 11:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
"tlc1244".....If you go to Harbor Freight, they sell a motion detector that works really well. The exterior component is about the size of a double thick deck of cards. The inside unit is about 6" tall, 4" wide and 2" deep. The inside unit has an audible alarm that sounds like a doorbell and flashing red lights. The outside unit uses a 9 volt battery and the inside unit uses 3 "C" cell batteries.

I live on a cul de sac that is fairly secluded. I like to know when someone stops. If I see the lights flash twice, it means they just drove around the loop and left. If it's late at night and there is only one flash, it's either a neighbor or someone has parked on the street. The inside unit is on a shelf above my TV, I disabled the audible alarm, because the LED's on the unit are very bright.

The exterior unit can be angled so I can set the distance I want it to read. It only reads to about the middle of the street. I can move the "read" in closer if I just angle it down. It would be perfect for what you want to do. You could Velcro it on above your door when parked. They're white in color, come in a box that is about 8" x 8" 4" and cost about $25.00.
I have the one from Harbor Freight. I agree that this unit works well. I use it when we stay at a fish camp every year and it gives some peace of mind about all my stuff that is outside.

I did recently complete a project after having one of my cargo doors open while driving. Apparently I didn't latch it properly, yep me. Decided to wire a pin switch at each door. If a door is opened or not latched correctly I will get a light on my dash with a switchable audible alarm, so if it is at night, and a door is opened, I will be alerted. I added the switch so that the alarm is not going off when I'm loading and unloading. I'm not one to lock my cargo doors every night, trust but verify? In addition, the pin switch activates the cargo lights. It was a project that took a lot longer than I estimated, but I'm a gadget guy, so it works for me.
Old 04-20-2016, 03:31 PM   #11

Great keep ideas coming
Old 04-23-2016, 01:52 PM   #12

I want to thank everyone for their great ideas. I'm going to order the Larry Alert system and I will Se how this works out. I may add the motions eventually.

Old 04-24-2016, 04:36 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc1244 View Post
I want to thank everyone for their great ideas. I'm going to order the Larry Alert system and I will Se how this works out. I may add the motions eventually.

Please report back and let us know how it works and your thoughts.

Good luck,

g
Indy Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:12 AM   #14

I sent you a PM, check your inbox

tucker1232 is offline   Reply With Quote