Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2019, 11:15 PM   #1

Exterior Silicone Caulking

I have several relatively small areas where I need to remove and replace the clear silicone caulking.

Two questions:

1. Do you know what clear silicone caulking Newmar uses on the painted exterior surfaces?

2. Any suggestions for removing old silicone caulking without scratching the paint?

Rex
and: The Aviators: Stories of Helicopter Combat in Vietnam 1971-72
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2019, 11:39 PM   #2

My dealer told me that Newmar doesn't use silicone. He mentioned using ParBond as replacement (clear). You might want to confirm that with your dealer.
capnqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 05:26 AM   #3

Newmar used clear silicone on all wall joints. Dicor on roof. Confirmed by calling Newmar.

What are you planning on removing the old silicone for? Painting? I used a straight razor blade (metal). Then, sanding. Takes a lot of time to remove it well enough to repaint. But I was repainting so didn't care if there were scratches. You could try using a plastic razor blade to minimize scratches.

If the silicone is in place, there aren't too many reasons to remove it. It doesn't need to be replaced every X years unless it's not sealing.
Old 10-28-2019, 06:44 AM   #4

I think silicone is silicone regardless of what brand it might be. I don't think new silicone will stick to old (cured) silicone. That's one of the reasons I don't like the stuff but Newmar sure likes it.
Old 10-28-2019, 09:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
I think silicone is silicone regardless of what brand it might be. I don't think new silicone will stick to old (cured) silicone. That's one of the reasons I don't like the stuff but Newmar sure likes it.

I’m not so sure. Whatever type of silicone that Newmar used in my shower and kitchen all turned yellow on my 18 DS. Fortunately it was pretty easy to remove and I replaced it with a Loctite silicone.
Old 10-28-2019, 09:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LK23 View Post
I have several relatively small areas where I need to remove and replace the clear silicone caulking.

Two questions:

1. Do you know what clear silicone caulking Newmar uses on the painted exterior surfaces?

2. Any suggestions for removing old silicone caulking without scratching the paint?

Rex
If you look on the Newgle website it will tell you the specific product they used. I have a 2017 Canyon Star and need to reseal a couple of places.

What I find appalling is that a 3 year old coach needs to have caulking replaced. I have heard all the excuses; that I subject my house to an earth quake, to a hurricane, etc. I simply don't get it. They don't have to reseal window in high rise building every couple of years.....

That said I am trying to decide what to use so that I don't have to do this again so soon. I am leaning towards using Lexel. https://www.sashco.com/products/lexel/
rlc1825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 03:45 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnqball View Post
My dealer told me that Newmar doesn't use silicone. He mentioned using ParBond as replacement (clear). You might want to confirm that with your dealer.
DO NOT USE ParBond! Hard to work with, discolors, doesn't last! Don't ask me how I know.
Old 10-29-2019, 07:34 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlc1825 View Post
If you look on the Newgle website it will tell you the specific product they used. I have a 2017 Canyon Star and need to reseal a couple of places.

What I find appalling is that a 3 year old coach needs to have caulking replaced. I have heard all the excuses; that I subject my house to an earth quake, to a hurricane, etc. I simply don't get it. They don't have to reseal window in high rise building every couple of years.....

That said I am trying to decide what to use so that I don't have to do this again so soon. I am leaning towards using Lexel. https://www.sashco.com/products/lexel/
I've been using lexel for 3 years and it seems to work as advertised. It stays clear, sticks to everything I've used it on and seals well. It also sticks to itself so future repairs will be easy. There is a bit of a learning curve working with it but I do feel its the best sealant for use on an rv. One interesting thing I've learned is that it sticks to dicor, I made a temporary repair on the dicor around a roof vent using white lexel, it stuck to the dicor so well I just let it be to see what happened over time, it's been 2 years and it's the best looking seam on the roof.
Mrfix
mrfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 09:00 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfix View Post
I've been using lexel for 3 years and it seems to work as advertised. It stays clear, sticks to everything I've used it on and seals well. It also sticks to itself so future repairs will be easy. There is a bit of a learning curve working with it but I do feel its the best sealant for use on an rv. One interesting thing I've learned is that it sticks to dicor, I made a temporary repair on the dicor around a roof vent using white lexel, it stuck to the dicor so well I just let it be to see what happened over time, it's been 2 years and it's the best looking seam on the roof.
Mrfix

What is the learning curve ? Please share.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 09:02 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenfl View Post
DO NOT USE ParBond! Hard to work with, discolors, doesn't last! Don't ask me how I know.
Thanks for the advice on the ParBond. I'm going to have a word with my dealer guy that advised its use.
capnqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 09:16 AM   #11

I have used Lexel on several rv's successfully. The learning curve for me was to always mask the area to be sealed if it was to be seen. Not such a problem on the roof. It has to be tooled immediately as it skins over very fast. You also need to remove the masking quickly.
Old 10-29-2019, 10:12 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
What is the learning curve ? Please share.
It needs to be tooled immediately because it skins over quickly. I do 18" at a time and tool with a finger wet with dawn and water mix. If you need to clean up use a rag dampened alcohol or mineral spirits. It can be applied to a wet surface and it will seal immediately. Total cure time is about 48 hours and it is printable.
mrfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 03:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfix View Post
Mrfix

Thanks for the confirmation. I have used it at home with good results.
rlc1825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 03:17 AM   #14

Don't bother removing the caulking. Use GE Silicone II for exterior windows and doors caulk. It will stick to the existing silicone caulk. I just go over any spots that need touching up and it always sticks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LK23 View Post

Two questions:

Rex
mgtibb is offline   Reply With Quote