Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2021, 09:17 AM   #1

External Cellular Antenna Mounting

I am installing a Pepwave Router with an external antenna. Since both the WiFi and the Cellular antennas are line of sight signals I was thinking about making a bracket that would hold the light weight external antenna onto the arm of my Wineguard Travler satellite dish. This way when I am driving it would be down low against the roof of the coach but when I deployed my dish would raise up high to get pass the sides of the roof walls and awning. Anyone ever play with this concept. The one thing I am a little concerned with is will the motor of the Wineguard have any issues with the weight increase on it. I thought about contacting Wineguard but realized they would not recommend it because it is not their antenna or bracket. What you all think.
lrwinddancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2021, 09:28 AM   #2

Are your antennas directional or omnidirectional?

If they are directional how to you plan on pointing them? I am sure there are some cases, but it is unlikely that all 3 signals are best in the same direction.

If they are omnidirectional it should work. In my case my cellular antenna is omnidirectional and I just have it mounted to the top of my ladder so it a few ~6" off the roof and about the same height as my A/C covers.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 09:34 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrwinddancer View Post
I am installing a Pepwave Router with an external antenna. Since both the WiFi and the Cellular antennas are line of sight signals I was thinking about making a bracket that would hold the light weight external antenna onto the arm of my Wineguard Travler satellite dish. This way when I am driving it would be down low against the roof of the coach but when I deployed my dish would raise up high to get pass the sides of the roof walls and awning. Anyone ever play with this concept. The one thing I am a little concerned with is will the motor of the Wineguard have any issues with the weight increase on it. I thought about contacting Wineguard but realized they would not recommend it because it is not their antenna or bracket. What you all think.
First I've never done it, but my only concern would be the way the Traveler turns around while locating it's satellites. Not sure if it can spin a full 360 but if it does you would have a cable issue for sure.
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 11:05 AM   #4

Not sure which Peplink device you have, but, I have found the provided paddle antennas that came with my unit work pretty good. Of course, you signal strength depends a lot on your location.
I made a bracket so I could mount the external antenna (when I get around to it) on the rear cap of the RV. It's similar to what you would see on the cabs of the 18 wheelers.
lemodrop9344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 07:42 AM   #5

We recently purchased a Pepwave Max Transit 5G Router and a Parsec Antenna. We mounted the antenna on the roof above the cabinet in the mid-bath. The prior owner had a in-motion satellite (which we do not use) and that is where they ran the coax.

We took all of it off the roof and carefully drilled a hole with a hole saw large enough to mount the antenna and did the same thing in the cabinet. We found some wiring for the lights, thankfully we were going slowly.
The Parsec had adhesive and we also put a large bead of Dicor around it.

The new router has been a game changer for us, we no longer have connection issues. If possible I connect to the park wifi and then failover to either a Verizon or a AT&T sim card.

The park we are in now, early in the morning is about 100mg down and about 30 during the day. I can take care of any business I need to. and we've had much better luck connecting to the various park wifi systems and not needing to burn up as much cell data.
Old 10-26-2021, 08:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRITTER View Post
We recently purchased a Pepwave Max Transit 5G Router and a Parsec Antenna. We mounted the antenna on the roof above the cabinet in the mid-bath. The prior owner had a in-motion satellite (which we do not use) and that is where they ran the coax.

We took all of it off the roof and carefully drilled a hole with a hole saw large enough to mount the antenna and did the same thing in the cabinet. We found some wiring for the lights, thankfully we were going slowly.
The Parsec had adhesive and we also put a large bead of Dicor around it.

The new router has been a game changer for us, we no longer have connection issues. If possible I connect to the park wifi and then failover to either a Verizon or a AT&T sim card.

The park we are in now, early in the morning is about 100mg down and about 30 during the day. I can take care of any business I need to. and we've had much better luck connecting to the various park wifi systems and not needing to burn up as much cell data.
Which Parsec model did you purchase? How did you mount the antenna? Directly to the roof or on a stand? Thanks
Old 10-26-2021, 09:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck53 View Post
Which Parsec model did you purchase? How did you mount the antenna? Directly to the roof or on a stand? Thanks
PRO7H4L2WG07W Parsec Husky Pro 7-in-1 5G Antenna 7' cables

Directly to the roof.

Since we already had a small hole with coax going through we just expanded it.
I wanted to take the old in-motion dish off, so I just unbolted it and cut the coax off, took the cover plate off and pulled the old coax through the fished a test wire through with no issues.
The Parsec has a large stud like 2", so I used a hole saw to make the existing hole large enough for the stud to drop through. I only drilled through the fiberglass and stopped. There was some electrical wiring I almost got into. Also had to drill a hole in the cabinet for all the wires.

The Parsec is about a foot wide and a couple of inches tall. If you have the girard awnings you may want/need to elevate it, my MH doesn't have them.

The Parsec has a huge piece of adhesive on it and then I Dicored it very well so I'm not worried about it coming off.

Mobile Must Have sells this in several different configurations.

Tags
antenna