Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2020, 02:35 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Extra Side Marker Lights

Anyone add more marker lights to the sides of their coach. One small marker light on a 37' coach does not seem adequate.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2020, 02:50 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
Anyone add more marker lights to the sides of their coach. One small marker light on a 37' coach does not seem adequate.
In addition to front (amber) and rear (red) side marker lights, coaches and buses and straight trucks over 30 ft LOA require an intermediate side marker (amber). That's DOT minimums. If your coach is over 30 ft long, it should already have an intermediate marker.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:30 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Extra Side Marker Lights

It does, but it seems small. I am thinking of replacing it with a much larger one.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:01 PM   #4

I added an additional side marker light just behind my front wheels on my 37 foot coach. I used LED and also switched out all my other side marker lights and cab lights to LED including the small rectangular ones under my mirror arms.....

I also added 4 inch round reverse LED lights into my rear bumper panel. The ones in the tail lights were not quite enough. These new ones will sear your corneas to your retinas when backing up.
Det57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 08:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
It does, but it seems small. I am thinking of replacing it with a much larger one.
While not actually required, you can always add two on each side, between the existing ones, though that’s overkill IMO.

If you just want to make the middle one larger or brighter, consider using a “PC” rated light, which has a 90 degree beam angle fore/aft of its center line (180 deg spread). Your existing light is probably “P2” rated, with a 45 degree angle either side of center (90 deg spread).

They’re designed to be used on corners of “over 80” inch wide vehicles, mounted at 45 degrees, so one unit does the job of both side marker and clearance where two individual P2 lights are normally used, but you can use them flat on the side or as individual front/rear clearance lights too, since the required spread angles are DOT minimums. Much more visible from small angles, like someone on your right, back by your rear wheels.
Old 02-18-2020, 07:52 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You could do like some truckers do, and run about fifteen along each side. [emoji6]
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 08:00 AM   #7

I have a cracked lens on one of the side marker lights. How does the lens come off? and where would I find a replacement?
2017 Ventana #3709
pjgolpher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 08:01 AM   #8

I added reflective tape right over each wheel well on our 36' coach. We do have the midcoach side marker light over the door.

Yellow on the fronts and red on the rears.
Adhesive backed reflective from Harbor Freight.
Easy to put on. Inexpensive.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 08:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Det57 View Post
I added an additional side marker light just behind my front wheels on my 37 foot coach. <snip>
I've noticed them showing up on tractors recently, behind the front wheels and fairly low. Way more visible than those built into the molded front/side marker lights trucks have been using for some time now. No big deal during nice weather, but at night, in a heavy rain, with a lot of traffic, it's actually really nice to have some extra lighting, especially when you're sitting low in a car, and can't see much to start with. There's no mistaking that amber light in your side window or that corner of the windshield.

I added a lightboard to the lower leg of the outboard on my sailboat, with LED stop/tail/turn/side marker lights, mainly because the boat overhangs the trailer so much that a tailgating truck may not see when I hit the brakes. The lights are right in a car driver's eyes - also good for tailgaters. I'm paranoid that a car with move into my lane behind the tow vehicle and right into the trailer, again mainly in a heavy rain with lots of spray, in heavy traffic, during the summer, especially when the middle lane slows and I (in the right lane) end up slowly pulling ahead of someone who's just got to get in the 'faster' lane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Det57 View Post
I also added 4 inch round reverse LED lights into my rear bumper panel. The ones in the tail lights were not quite enough. These new ones will sear your corneas to your retinas when backing up.
My van has a rear red fog light, which is just an extra high intensity bulb like a brake light bulb, with a narrow focus at the bottom of the tail/turn/brake light stack on the driver's side (a European requirement), in an area not lit by any of those other lights, and it's surprisingly helpful backing into a dark spot at night. Not what it was meant for, but helpful nonetheless. The standard backup lights just aren't all that bright.
Old 02-18-2020, 03:15 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
You could do like some truckers do, and run about fifteen along each side. [emoji6]

Actually, I would love to. Not knowledgeable enough to feel confident adding. I might buy some and take to the factory and see if they will replace the existing with the larger or give me direction on how to do it. Very reluctant to drill holes in the fiberglass.
Old 03-10-2020, 09:46 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I just replaced all the incandescent bulbs in the marker and side lights on our 2007 Revolution LE 40E with LED units. Took the only one out and with some fiddling I was able to put nice chrome side marker lights all around. Love them. Also swapped out the dock lights with LED white lights and WOW,,, talk about bright.
Stonehands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 10:30 AM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Have you actually viewed them at night. The lens is small, but the LED's are super bright. You won't get t-boned on a freeway and when you're driving around town with intersecting traffic, everyone is driving slow enough that their headlights are very effective at illuminating traffic, lighting up the side of your RV like a billboard.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 11:09 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I didn’t add marker lights, but I did add two directional lights on each side. Once a car passes your rear lights, I doubt many notice the little arrow high up on the mirror.

Walt
photopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 08:09 PM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Have you actually viewed them at night. The lens is small, but the LED's are super bright. You won't get t-boned on a freeway and when you're driving around town with intersecting traffic, everyone is driving slow enough that their headlights are very effective at illuminating traffic, lighting up the side of your RV like a billboard.

No sir, I haven't. It is a Bay Star and I have not picked it up yet.

Tags
light, lights