Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2018, 03:16 PM   #1

Extremely Low DEF with Shutdown Eng

I stopped to fill up. When I started the motor again I had a shutdown engine warning on my 2016 DS. It was accompanied with an extremely low def warning. I had a full tank of DEF so I knew it wasn't low. Here is the kicker.... The computer completely derates the motor allowing only idle rpm. I moved the coach out of the way and called FTL. Any inputs or war stories????
Herkdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2018, 03:38 PM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
following
Old 05-21-2018, 03:54 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Following
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 04:26 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A little help..maybe. I had that problem and the Freighliner tech told me to take a plastic handled screwdriver and tap(not bang) on the top of the def tank pickups. He said that sometimes the def crystallizes on the pickups and gives false reading. I tapped mind and the alarm for def cleared. Still had a check engine light but that cleared after a few miles. The FL tech did state the check light would clear after a few miles. Hope this helps.
wishalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 04:29 PM   #5

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishalls View Post
A little help..maybe. I had that problem and the Freighliner tech told me to take a plastic handled screwdriver and tap(not bang) on the top of the def tank pickups. He said that sometimes the def crystallizes on the pickups and gives false reading. I tapped mind and the alarm for def cleared. Still had a check engine light but that cleared after a few miles. The FL tech did state the check light would clear after a few miles. Hope this helps.
Yup, had same issue with a Freightliner tractor..a few taps and all was good.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 05:24 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Have got your coach yet?
wishalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:56 AM   #7

I will update you guys when I pick up the coach. FTL warranty covered the repairs. I am curious to find out causes, prevention, etc. I hate to get on a soap box but we can thank the EPA for this DEF issue. I am frustrated the motor was completely derated due to this issue. I was dead in the water over an EPA guideline.
Herkdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:32 AM   #8
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Where did you last get DEF? Was it in containers rather than from a pump? If in a container, was/were the seal(s) intact under the cap(s)? I recently bought DEF at Walmart and found one of their containers was missing the seal. It had been refilled with water and put back on the shelf. Fortunately, I noticed it, but it is all-too-easy to make a mistake and use it. No more Wally World DEF for me.

Water in the DEF tank will give you those symptoms.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:41 AM   #9
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herkdriver View Post
I hate to get on a soap box but we can thank the EPA for this DEF issue. I am frustrated the motor was completely derated due to this issue. I was dead in the water over an EPA guideline.
Sorry, but I think your angst is misplaced. EPA didn't mandate the use of DEF; they mandated a level of exhaust emission cleanliness that manufacturers had to meet. That can be done in several ways and using DEF is the cheapest for manufacturers. Guess which route they took?

You may think everything EPA has done is bad, but I'm old enough to remember the really bad smog in several large cities that has now improved greatly because of environmental changes required by the EPA. I have always enjoyed breathing and would like that enjoyment to continue.

TJ
Old 05-24-2018, 01:44 PM   #10

Agree with above PLUS I had coaches pre DEF and there was always soot on the towed after towing long distances. I sure don’t miss cleaning that off, plus the haze has pretty much disappeared over large cities. Do I wish they had used a different solution, probably but they charge plenty for these things now and this was the cheapest solution. I think other solutions are coming IF the government does not eliminate the requirements, it could happen. All JMHO
Old 05-24-2018, 08:34 PM   #11

I had the same thing happen to me a couple weeks ago. stop Engine warning..derates engine. Turned out to be the DEF sending unit.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:18 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Maybe a little off subject, but when you pull into truck stop to refuel, you turn off your engine? I was told by trucker to put it at fast idle and never pull in and Shutdown engine unless no load idle for one minute then SD. I choose to leave at fast idle as I have to pull up to rear tag to top off DEF.
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 06:49 AM   #13

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakebuster View Post
Maybe a little off subject, but when you pull into truck stop to refuel, you turn off your engine? I was told by trucker to put it at fast idle and never pull in and Shutdown engine unless no load idle for one minute then SD. I choose to leave at fast idle as I have to pull up to rear tag to top off DEF.
Federal/State & local laws require that the engine be shut off when fueling.. It is a safety thing.
The time that you take pulling into the fuel stop is enough to cool off the turbo & settle down the engine.. or let it idle for a minute before shutting off, either way the engine should be off when fueling...and with the engine off You should be checking the oil and coolant levels when fueling , just because.....
YRMV
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:04 AM   #14
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Federal/State & local laws require that the engine be shut off when fueling.. It is a safety thing.
The time that you take pulling into the fuel stop is enough to cool off the turbo & settle down the engine.. or let it idle for a minute before shutting off, either way the engine should be off when fueling...and with the engine off You should be checking the oil and coolant levels when fueling , just because.....
YRMV
In my experience, very few truck drivers shut down their diesel rigs when fueling. I'm not sure, but I think the "safety thing" may just apply to gasoline pumps. If not, there are sure a lot of lawbreakers out there...including me.

TJ