Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2021, 12:55 PM   #1

Fabric Flaking

Have the Flexsteel Fabric issue. Claim has been filed with Newmar and need to find someone to replace it. Called 2 Newmar dealers close to me and neither one seemed that interested in doing it.

Has anyone gone though this and what did you do on the replacement?
Steve70-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2021, 01:31 PM   #2

So what year, model Newmar do you have? My 2016 BSS has the issue and Newmar was no help at all. Ended up going to an auto/marine reupholsters. Their opinion is that the FlexSteel material was crap. Have appointment for them to recover the captains chairs in a couple of weeks. We would do the sofa but that would be putting lipstick on a pig as the sofa is an uncomfortable POS that we plan to replace. Newmar should never have put this junk in motorhomes costing what they charge.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 05:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
So what year, model Newmar do you have? My 2016 BSS has the issue and Newmar was no help at all. Ended up going to an auto/marine reupholsters. Their opinion is that the FlexSteel material was crap. Have appointment for them to recover the captains chairs in a couple of weeks. We would do the sofa but that would be putting lipstick on a pig as the sofa is an uncomfortable POS that we plan to replace. Newmar should never have put this junk in motorhomes costing what they charge.
I agree the fabric should never have been used. But, what Iíve learned through research is that Flexsteel is not the reason the fabric was used, Newmar (and a good many of their competitors) are the reason. Flexsteel built the furniture, but would install any fabric their customer (Newmar) specified as part of the order. So Newmar chose cheap Chinese ĎUltraluxí, which is an inferior knockoff of Ultraleather. Flexsteel installed it, then later Flexsteelís phone is ringing off the hook with upset customers that think itís Flexsteelís fault. It hurt their reputation and so now they no longer make RV furniture.

So. Should Flexsteel have been willing to take a chance on this Ultralux junk and risked their reputation or should they have insisted on Ultraleather, which had been used for years with good results and many happy customers? Thatís the question. Apparently with their customers pushing them, they did. But then in the aftermath, they end up exiting this segment of the business. Not everyone liked Flexsteel, but many people did. For those people this will be bad.

Within a reasonable number of years after install, Newmar should be the one standing behind the fabric replacement. I think they have done that for a good many of their customers if my reading of this is correct on the forum.

I say all of this because I, too, have the Ultralux junk in my Ď20 BS. Itís likely my day is coming to have mine replaced. In the meantime, someone mentioned that they had been using 303 Leather treatment, which can also be used with vinyl and so far theirs had not peeled so I started doing that. But Iím not holding out much hope for that.
jdyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 06:38 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
We are the 2nd owners of our 2015 Ventanna. The passenger captain chair is the only place we have flaking at this point.
I've read many posts on this subject and see some have had success with Newmar while others have not. I sent an email to Carrie Clark of Newmar Customer Service and was told the one year warranty had expired and I would be responsible. I asked about the cost to purchase the material to recover one captain chair. Carrie said someone from parts would send me the cost. I was so shocked at the answer, I thought some on this forum wouldn't believe it so the following is the email I received;

Good morning,
you would need to choose a new fabric to make the seat covers in. each capt. Chair cover is between $1700-2200, sofa covers usually run about $3000-4000

Thank you, Fredi Jimenez
Newmar Parts Representative
m-f, 7:30-4:00 Eastern time
1-800-731-8300
Ajimenez@newmarcorp.com

Now, I knew it wouldn't be cheap but WOW! I think I could buy a new covered captains chair for that amount! I'll be looking for a good upholsterer...
Chief Deputy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 07:30 PM   #5

You would be better off to find a nearby upholsterer and have it done. I had our captain's chairs done with a high quality automotive vinyl for $1400 for the pair. Our couch is starting to show problems and we will probably just replace it with a new couch sometime next spring.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 06:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Deputy View Post
We are the 2nd owners of our 2015 Ventanna. The passenger captain chair is the only place we have flaking at this point.
I've read many posts on this subject and see some have had success with Newmar while others have not. I sent an email to Carrie Clark of Newmar Customer Service and was told the one year warranty had expired and I would be responsible. I asked about the cost to purchase the material to recover one captain chair. Carrie said someone from parts would send me the cost. I was so shocked at the answer, I thought some on this forum wouldn't believe it so the following is the email I received;

Good morning,
you would need to choose a new fabric to make the seat covers in. each capt. Chair cover is between $1700-2200, sofa covers usually run about $3000-4000

Thank you, Fredi Jimenez
Newmar Parts Representative
m-f, 7:30-4:00 Eastern time
1-800-731-8300
Ajimenez@newmarcorp.com

Now, I knew it wouldn't be cheap but WOW! I think I could buy a new covered captains chair for that amount! I'll be looking for a good upholsterer...
Get the tag number off the bottom of the seat and contact Lisa Bauer, She was at Flexsteel and when they exited the RV business, she acquired the patterns for the RV upholstery and makes replacement covers. I had her make covers for the two captains chairs, the European dinnete and one of the sofas00 the other sofa is being replaced with theater seating . We selected a real ultraleather material as a replacement so our issues with peeling is behind us. A local shop is installing the covers. Price is much lower that what you were quoted from Newmar and you will get the material you specify, not more junk that Newmar decides to sell you.
here's her contact info:

Lisa Bauer

bauerrvupholstery@gmail.com

Bauer RV Upholstery LLC

563-542-4902
Old 09-26-2021, 06:27 AM   #7

Look up the other threads on peeling to find the contact info for the gal making skins for Flexsteel seats. Lisa Bauer is her name if memory correct. She has access to Flexsteel patterns and can reproduce the skins in the fabric of tour choice (Ultraleather highly recommended). All you need to do is replace the skins DIY or with a local upholstery shop.
I would not have dealers do it but it may need some discussion / negotiating w/ Newmar.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 10:37 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
Look up the other threads on peeling to find the contact info for the gal making skins for Flexsteel seats. Lisa Bauer is her name if memory correct. She has access to Flexsteel patterns and can reproduce the skins in the fabric of tour choice (Ultraleather highly recommended). All you need to do is replace the skins DIY or with a local upholstery shop.
I would not have dealers do it but it may need some discussion / negotiating w/ Newmar.
Lisa Bauer
Bauer RV Upholstery LLC
449 Clarke Dr.
Dubuque, IA 52001
563-542-4902

PS, She only has the templates for FlexSteel seating. She cannot do the Villa seating such as in my 2015 Dutch Star.

And by the way, all the samples I got from Newmar are NOT UltraLeather, they are knockoffs and down the road you'll have the same problem.

If you have Villa Furniture try www.Glastop.com. They carry many brands and can have anything they carry covered in REAL UltraLeather. I'll be doing a different couch as well as a recliner with them and buying the material needed to redo my Captain Chairs. Ask for Heather and tell her Ted from Wellington with the 2015 Dutch Star sent you, (954) 781-8460 http://www.glastop.com/

And one more thing, I did qualify for the 50/50 with Newmar on my coach, but I'm better off doing a brand new Couch and Recliner and redoing my Captain Chairs in UltraLeather for Less then the 50/50 with Newmar and the same crap material they are still using.
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 07:15 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Heather at Glasstop is awesome. She helped me when I ordered two new Lambright recliners and a couch for my previous coach. She knows her stuff. Good price great service. I would call her in a second if I needed to replace anything on my current coach.
Old 09-28-2021, 07:05 PM   #10

Upholstery

This is a long thread, but it will probably answer all or most of your questions.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/new...nt-508619.html

We are the original owners of a 2016 Ventana and Newmar replaced/recovered all our furniture earlier this year at the factory service center. Send me a PM if you have specific questions.
woodosgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 07:13 PM   #11

Depending on where the OP lives will dictate where we send him.
Hpozzuoli is offline   Reply With Quote