Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2021, 08:26 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Factory delivery...changes in procedure?

I have had 2 prior factory deliveries, both of them Dutch Stars. The 1st one was in 2013 and the schedule was 4 weeks after production.

The service techs handled the delivery process, with a lead assigned and a tech assigned.

In 2019. The procedure was the same. We where in the new building, but it was still a lead assigned and a tech assigned.

I just found out that Newmar has changed procedure, and now they are scheduling 8 weeks after production and pulling someone off the production line to handle the pre delivery inspection.

I have never heard of the techs coming off the line for this...is this new, or a detail I just never knew about?
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2021, 03:49 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
As far as I knew, that was not the case last spring when we received ours. What you describe sounds to me like they are taking an opportunity to keep line workers gainfully employed when the line is shut down. Didn’t I read somewhere they were reducing weekly production days?
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 06:07 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
As far as I knew, that was not the case last spring when we received ours. What you describe sounds to me like they are taking an opportunity to keep line workers gainfully employed when the line is shut down. Didn’t I read somewhere they were reducing weekly production days?
As I was told, the employee is removed from the line for a period of time, to finish the build. It didn't sound like they worked when the line was down.

Due to this change, only 4 deliveries per week are done now. We know they setup originally to handle 8-12 deliveries.

Here is what I was told by my rep:
Quote:
Newmar will only do four per week and they have to pull someone off the production line to do the walk-through so that's why they schedule them early.

This text came last night from my rep. Earlier conversations indicated that newmar relies on the dealers to finish the build, so factory deliveries require someone from the line.

I am trying to figure out if my rep is just unaware of how things are done at Newmar, or if things have really changed.

Finishing the build is accurate, but the service department usually does this with their leads and techs.

People on the line generally have a limited skill set, and are only involved when they did the work and they have to see the failure they caused first hand and work on the corrective action. Since the line is laid piece rate, it doesn't make sense that the line workers would become customer service delivery agents.

[OP edit request] The only reason I am considering they may be right is because this is my first luxury line delivery.

That being said, the same guys do the production on baystars to king aire, so I am fairly sure the above quoted text is just inaccurate.
Old 10-26-2021, 12:30 PM   #4

Spartan Chassis
It may be more related to a lack of employees. All the RV manufacturers in Elkhart area are struggling to get help which means someone who had previously done the job may be needed to fill in gaps in the production line. It also may be that Newmar is trying to phase out FPU altogether. Does any other manufacturer have factory pick up? I know Tiffin allowed you to come look yours over but you still had to take delivery from the dealer, at least that's what a friend told us.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 12:36 PM   #5

Seems like if it is true it is just another Winnebago change in the Newmar Family of things. FPU is one of the major reasons I was going to order from Newmar and pay a few thousand extra bucks for the FPU.

Its sad if they do away with it:(

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 01:16 PM   #6

Did you call Newmar to find out?
Old 10-26-2021, 01:28 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
redbaron73 said:
" Earlier conversations indicated that newmar relies on the dealers to finish the build"

What all does the dealer have to do?

I've seen dealers who can't even spell dealer so I'd be pretty leary of having them finish building an RV.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 02:11 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
redbaron73 said:
" Earlier conversations indicated that newmar relies on the dealers to finish the build"

What all does the dealer have to do?

I've seen dealers who can't even spell dealer so I'd be pretty leary of having them finish building an RV.

The work can be a very long detailed list. You are wise to consider the dealer you purchase from, especially with what I am learning about the changes to factory delivery.

I am in communication with a senior person that is getting me more details. I will update once I have this all ironed out.
Old 10-26-2021, 03:10 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I suspect that if this new process is TRUE; Newmar will lose substantial sales, due to the lack of the actual "FPU" experience, which was handled by a Team Leader, with an Assigned Tech! Training & explanations came from those that had experience with these complex pieces of machinery, called "Motor Coaches"!

Seems that maybe the Winnebago "system" is sadly creeping into Newmar!

FPU, Factory Service, "Specials", Custom paint, etc, is what makes Newmar unique and sets them apart from the run of the mill RV manufacturer!

I'm sure glad I got mine in 2020, before all these crazy changes & issues started to appear! And I have feelings of empathy for the new owners that are denied this wonderful experience!

Just my opinion....that & a $1.50 get you a small coffee!
Jabber Jaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 03:19 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabber Jaw View Post
I suspect that if this new process is TRUE; Newmar will lose substantial sales, due to the lack of the actual "FPU" experience, which was handled by a Team Leader, with an Assigned Tech! Training & explanations came from those that had experience with these complex pieces of machinery, called "Motor Coaches"!

Seems that maybe the Winnebago "system" is sadly creeping into Newmar!

FPU, Factory Service, "Specials", Custom paint, etc, is what makes Newmar unique and sets them apart from the run of the mill RV manufacturer!

I'm sure glad I got mine in 2020, before all these crazy changes & issues started to appear! And I have feelings of empathy for the new owners that are denied this wonderful experience!

Just my opinion....that & a $1.50 get you a small coffee!

I ordered a 2022 Dutch Star 4369, with factory pickup, custom paint, custom interior so for all the experts on this site. I would like to ask that you only comment if you have actual first hand experience. There have been no changes at Newmar other than longer lead times.
Clemson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 03:28 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemson View Post
I ordered a 2022 Dutch Star 4369, with factory pickup, custom paint, custom interior so for all the experts on this site. I would like to ask that you only comment if you have actual first hand experience. There have been no changes at Newmar other than longer lead times.
When did you do your fpu? Who was your lead?
Old 10-26-2021, 03:34 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemson View Post
Well stated. Thank you!
RVStitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 07:08 PM   #13

I just done my FPU on August 30th of this year, 2 months ago. My tech, Perry, who has been working for Newmar better than 20 years, has been doing his job, doing FPU's for customer like us, for the last 10 years. Saying that, if something has changed, it just changed within the last 8 weeks
oldcoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 10:14 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We can all go about our regularly scheduled programming.

The salesperson that told me this was using very old information...the way newmar used to handle cpu. Newmar used to use production for cpu, but found that it didn't work well. They changed to service doing cpu, and it remains the same.

The only change is delays due to team leads having smaller teams due to lack of employees...nothing we haven't heard of before.

Luxury has a separate team lead for other lines, but that has always embeen the case.

Bottom line...I was given wrong information.