Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2014, 07:28 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Jeffreys … sorry for the late response but just got back to Fort Myers after an 11.5 hour drive in the Dutch Star … BTW the comfort drive made it a breeze. Here is my two cents on the subject (just my opinion). I think you should go for both the shower seat and factory delivery.

I think the factory deliveries are handled/scheduled by Carl Snyder up at Newmar. At least he is the person that handled mine. csnyder@newmarcorp.com

I would first try contacting Carl and explain your situation and see what he would suggest you do … and also what he could do as to a factory delivery schedule. Would be good to have that information in hand before calling NorthTrail. Carl cannot help you with the pricing as that needs to go through NorthTrail. I don’t think you can cut Northtrail out of the dealings as they are ultimately the ones you will need to pay in order for Newmar to release your coach when you get there for the delivery.

All of your reasoning and logic as to the delivery pricing is probably correct … but I doubt you will get much of a break or discount from NorthTrail since the deal is done. I have bought three (3) coaches from them so do have some experience on that end. You will probably wind up paying close to the $2,800 option price would be my bet. I don’t know this for sure … but I think the cost of the coach’s delivery to the dealer is figured into the base price between Newmar and the dealer.

I think the regional rep for NorthTrail is still Ken Williamson if you wanted to also reach out to him as Route 66 suggested. Ken has been very helpful to me over the past several years on issues/questions I have had. kwilliamson@newmarcorp.com

All this should be doable but will take some persistence on your end … but “you are the customer” and I think the Newmar folks will work with you. The work will be on the NorthTrail side.

Let us know how it sorts out and congratulations on your new coach.

Steve
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2014, 09:01 PM   #16

Steve

I emailed Ken Williamson this evening requesting his phone number and when was the soonest he would be able to speak with me. Remarketably, he immediately emailed me back with his phone number and stated he was available this evening to talk. Wow, that's really amazing service.

I did phone him and presented my case for factory delivery. He is going to call the individual at Newmar who does the scheduling, Phil, and find out when the first available date for a factory delivery will be. Ken said Phil would call me tomorrow and let me know. So hopefully, the date will be within reason. Ideally, we would like to pick up the first week in February. But, I think it would be worth the wait if we can't get in at that time. At this point, I would accept a date into March, if that was only time they could get us in. I will let everyone know as soon as I hear back from Phil.

I didn't bring up the shower seat just because I didn't want to complicate this and the Factory delivery is so much more important. I am certain I can find a small teak seat that will sit in the shower. Thanks follks with your help again.
Jeffreys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:05 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm sure Newmar will have your shower seat installed when you mention it and that dealer said its to late.
Interesting thread another add in QT's # 3.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:11 PM   #18

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
Regarding the shower seat and factory delivery, I'd call your factory rep.

Never be afraid to ask for anything.
I think they add bracing in the wall and it may be too far along to add it now.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:24 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The fiber or corian wall may already have the added blocking for seat.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:31 PM   #20

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
The fiber or corian wall may already have the added blocking for seat.
If that's so then there shouldn't be a problem adding it even after delivery.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:41 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffreys View Post
I emailed Ken Williamson this evening requesting his phone number and when was the soonest he would be able to speak with me. Remarketably, he immediately emailed me back with his phone number and stated he was available this evening to talk. Wow, that's really amazing service.
Jeffreys ... this is great. I have always found Ken to be available and very responsive. Sure hope you can get all this worked out with them. The factory delivery process is a great experience. Here is a link to my delivery last February. Others have written about theirs as well. Can't wait to read about yours.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/whos...ml#post1455592

Steve
Old 01-02-2014, 08:46 AM   #22

Update: I received an email from Ken this morning with his reply from Carl Snyder, the Customer Service manager. Newmar was able to fit in the PDI beginning January 20th with a factory Delivery either Feb 3 or Feb 10. We chose Feb 3. On the downside, the cost of $2,895.00 i was told by the dealer for the factory delivery is firm price that comes from Newmar and there are no credits for delivery and pdi that would have occurred at the dealer. But, the great news is we will get what we wanted with the factory delivery at our original pick up date.

I appreciate everyone's help with this.

I have another question that I was hoping someone could point me to. We need to get a Brakemaster installed when we are there. Does anyone happen to know of a good place close to the factory that we could get that done ? Many thanks to all...
Old 01-02-2014, 09:53 AM   #23

Jeffreys - suggest you put full water, fuel and propane aboard and have Newmar weigh it for you. There'll be a small charge, but you get all 4 corner weights. Obviously it will change when you add all your stuff, but it'll be a good baseline for computing tire pressures. Newmar doesn't (at least when we picked up our coach) install sat receivers but they can tell you who to call to come out and do it. Seems to me the installation was more than a plug and play process.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:07 AM   #24

Jeffreys - one more thing. Have you considered a surge/high/low voltage protector? I think Newmar will install one for you after the coach is delivered. Lots of threads on this subject. You can do it yourself ( I've done it twice) and it's not difficult to figure out what wire to connect to the terminals---it's just tedious working with the 6 gauge wire. There just isn't much space to work with in the electrical bay.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:14 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelyn5 View Post
Jeffreys - one more thing. Have you considered a surge/high/low voltage protector? I think Newmar will install one for you after the coach is delivered. Lots of threads on this subject. You can do it yourself ( I've done it twice) and it's not difficult to figure out what wire to connect to the terminals---it's just tedious working with the 6 gauge wire. There just isn't much space to work with in the electrical bay.
+1 to this. This would be my #1 addition. Here is a link to how I did mine. As joelyn5 said ... it is very tight in that compartment.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/our-...ml#post1465648

Steve
Old 01-02-2014, 12:42 PM   #26

Joel and Steve

Thank you for your advice. I have started my list. I had read some other posts on the surge protector so that is an item I will be getting. I will have Newmar install it as I am not that handy with those type of items. I will also fillnupnall the tanks and have them weigh it.

If you can think think of anything else, I would appreciate the advice.

I got our feb 2nd reservation at Amish Acres for the night before delivery. I am still looking for the best place to haven the Brakemaster installed for the tow car. I already got the roadmaster sterling and the receiver installed on the tow car.

Naturally, my biggest concern will be the trip back here to Las Vegas in the weather. We will just have to be flexible and take as long as needed. I am fearful of driving our new Dutch in snow or ice. I actually rented an RV many years ago and will never forget sliding down thru a lot at the Grand Canyon and hitting a fence. The damage to the steering made the MH inoperable and that ended then whole trip as we had to have the unit towed back to Flagstaff. A good learning experience to NOT drive a MH in snow or ice,
Old 01-02-2014, 12:47 PM   #27

Oh, I know what I was going to ask you guys. Will we need any special sewer hoses or any other items for the hookups to the utilities that will not be included with the RV ? It looks like the closest Camping World is only 27 miles away in Elkhart IN.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:52 PM   #28

Jeffreys,

Congratulations on your new Dutch Star. I originally ordered the Dutch Star 3736 and at the last minute changed the model to the 4018. In essence they are exact same floor plans, just slightly different dimensions. I may be a bit biased, but I feel we have the best floor plan Newmar offers...I'm just sayin!

I will also be arriving in Nappanee on February 2nd and staying at Amish Acres. I will be there to watch my coach while it's in on the production line in building 7. BattChief will be there at that time for the same purpose. If you interested, it would be nice if we could all get together for dinner.

Regarding your interest in having Newmar install your surge protector. I made arrangements to have them install mine, so I know they will definitely do it. They cannot do it while it is on the production line, but will install it during your PDI factory delivery period. You simply need to supply them with the physical surge protector beforehand. Carl Snyder, Service Manager, is the Newmar contact person you would want to speak to. I am currently reconsidering this option because I now wish to have a Hughes Autoformer installed as an additional component in the electrical system. I am now leaning towards having my own electrician install the Progressive Industries surge protector in conjunction with the Hughes Autoformer, post delivery.

Best of luck,

Jigs
jigsup is offline   Reply With Quote