RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2013, 10:41 PM   #1

Factory Delivery Questions

Hello everyone. We ordered a 2014 Dutchstar 3736. This is our first MH and we are needless to say, very excited. We ordered through NorthTrails. The Unit is set to roll out of the factory in about two weeks from now. We did not elect factory delivery. But, from reading what others who have received factory delivery, this looks like something that would make sense to me. My guess is that I could call the dealer next week and arrange to have a factory delivery since its not rolling off the line for another two weeks. The factory delivery was listed on the price sheet at $2,800. So here's my question. Doesn't the dealer have to pay to have the MH delivered from the factory in Indiana to the dealer in Ft Myers ? If so, would it be out of line to now go back and request the dealer to add on the factory delivery at $2,800 or 25 percent less assuming factory delivery is marked up to the final price AND reduce the final price by the amount the dealer would have paid to have the unit driven to FT Myers ? My guess is the dealer is paying at least $2,000 to have the unit delivered to Ft Myers. So this would mean a net price addition of $800 for a factory delivery. Is my thinking out of line here ?

Being this is our first MH, It just seems as though a dealer delivery would not get the muster for us.

I thank all of you for your valuable information on the threads and hope to meet some of you soon. Many thanks.
Jeffreys is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2013, 10:54 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
As I understand it the factory delivery option is an add'l cost up and over dealer delivery. The dealer delivery is figured into the price charged by Newmar to the dealer. Both out DSDP's have been dealer delivery but in the long run it probably would have been better to opt for the factory delivery, at least on the last one. Dealer had it for 113 days out of the first 305 days of ownership. Blamed Newmar for the delays. Even then I ended up driving it back to Nappanee from the west coast (2200 miles one way) to get it finished although, due to the warranty laws in WA state, Newmar had to pay for the fuel.
That's how we ended up with a 14,600# front axle under a rig that left the factory with a 12,000# axle. It was overloaded BEFORE we ever added anything of ours or even climbed aboard.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:09 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffreys View Post
Hello everyone. We ordered a 2014 Dutchstar 3736. This is our first MH and we are needless to say, very excited. We ordered through NorthTrails. The Unit is set to roll out of the factory in about two weeks from now. We did not elect factory delivery. But, from reading what others who have received factory delivery, this looks like something that would make sense to me. My guess is that I could call the dealer next week and arrange to have a factory delivery since its not rolling off the line for another two weeks. The factory delivery was listed on the price sheet at $2,800. So here's my question. Doesn't the dealer have to pay to have the MH delivered from the factory in Indiana to the dealer in Ft Myers ? If so, would it be out of line to now go back and request the dealer to add on the factory delivery at $2,800 or 25 percent less assuming factory delivery is marked up to the final price AND reduce the final price by the amount the dealer would have paid to have the unit driven to FT Myers ? My guess is the dealer is paying at least $2,000 to have the unit delivered to Ft Myers. So this would mean a net price addition of $800 for a factory delivery. Is my thinking out of line here ? Being this is our first MH, It just seems as though a dealer delivery would not get the muster for us. I thank all of you for your valuable information on the threads and hope to meet some of you soon. Many thanks.
Congrats on the new motorhome! We elected to go with a dealer delivery, but we have owned a motorhome for 13 years, and I am pretty confident in operating things and figuring them out. If this was our first motorhome it might be different. Not that you would expect anything to go wrong with your new coach, but who better to educate you on the intricacies of your new endeavor than those who work on them everyday, and truly know how they are built from the ground up? Cost wise, somebody else will have to chime in. Could be like a ford/Chevy debate!
Old 01-01-2014, 09:55 AM   #4

Thank you Mr D and BattleChief.

i am trying to determine if the dealer has to pay (the driver and fuel costs) to have the unit delivered from the factory in Indiana to the dealer location in Ft Myers. If that is the case, then I should be able to get a credit for that cost (the driver and fuel costs) if I now elect to pay for the Factory Delivery since the dealer would not have that costs with a factory delivery at this point. He has already finalized the total price to me. So now, if I go back and request the Factory Delivery, he should credit back that driver and fuel cost. Does that make sense ? So the factory delivery is retail of $2,800. If the dealer will credit the driver and fuel costs against the added cost for the factory delivery, at this point, I may only have to shell out an additional $1000. Knowing this will help me with going back to the dealer and requesting now to get a factory delivery and negotiating the up charge for this. So I am wondering if anyone could chime in on this..... Thanks folks.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:44 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Congratulations -
On our recently purchased Ventana we took delivery at the dealer in Orlando. There was no listed charge for delivery, transportation, or anything similar. I believe it is built into the base price of the coach. Your best option may be to negotiate with the dealer since it is saving him the time and expense associated with PDI and instructional time.
TwoCorners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:58 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Thank you Mr D and BattleChief.

i am trying to determine if the dealer has to pay (the driver and fuel costs) to have the unit delivered from the factory in Indiana to the dealer location in Ft Myers. If that is the case, then I should be able to get a credit for that cost (the driver and fuel costs) if I now elect to pay for the Factory Delivery since the dealer would not have that costs with a factory delivery at this point. He has already finalized the total price to me. So now, if I go back and request the Factory Delivery, he should credit back that driver and fuel cost. Does that make sense ? So the factory delivery is retail of $2,800. If the dealer will credit the driver and fuel costs against the added cost for the factory delivery, at this point, I may only have to shell out an additional $1000. Knowing this will help me with going back to the dealer and requesting now to get a factory delivery and negotiating the up charge for this. So I am wondering if anyone could chime in on this..... Thanks folks.
Your logic makes sense but once you've finalized a price who knows. Please post how it all turned out for the rest of us who may end up in your shoes down the road.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:14 AM   #7

We like the factory delivery, but since your coach is due to be off line in two weeks you need to be aware that the factory delivery will add 2 or 3 weeks to that. As you've seen in the previous threads, they test and run everything and any infant mortality issues can be corrected, also when you take delivery at the factory you will have a Tech assigned to you that really knows the coach and they will fix anything you find on the spot. We've taken delivery both at North Trail and at the factory and would pick the factory for sure. North Trail does save money by not having to work on your coach so I would get pretty aggressive with them on the discount for the factory delivery option
Old 01-01-2014, 12:40 PM   #8

We are good with the added 2 to 3 weeks of time to delivery. We are flexible on that issue. I will go back to the dealer tomorrow (hopefully my sales guy will be in) and negotiate this price. I just reviewed my emails and now see that the ship date from the Factory is on February 14th. My only fear is the dealer will tell me it's too late to add a factory delivery on to this order. You would think that wouldn't be the case since it's not scheduled to ship till the 14th. But, you never know. I know on this past Monday I asked for a shower seat to be added and they said the unit was too far into production at this point and could not be done. I really, really now want this factory delivery so I am going to press them on this. If I have to, if the dealer say's it's too late to add it at this point, maybe I should then go directly to Newmar and ask them ? I don't want to go around the dealer. But, for this kind of an investment for me, I am not too worried about upsetting the dealer. I just want to make certain we can get this added at this point.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:05 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Congratulations on the new coach! You will love it!

If we ever do this again, we will defiantly go with factory delivery...my understanding is that you get the exclusive use of two factory technicians, for at least a week, to go through each and every system and correct anything that is wrong, on the spot.
Lee L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:47 PM   #10

Quote:
We are good with the added 2 to 3 weeks of time to delivery. We are flexible on that issue. I will go back to the dealer tomorrow (hopefully my sales guy will be in) and negotiate this price. I just reviewed my emails and now see that the ship date from the Factory is on February 14th. My only fear is the dealer will tell me it's too late to add a factory delivery on to this order. You would think that wouldn't be the case since it's not scheduled to ship till the 14th. But, you never know. I know on this past Monday I asked for a shower seat to be added and they said the unit was too far into production at this point and could not be done. I really, really now want this factory delivery so I am going to press them on this. If I have to, if the dealer say's it's too late to add it at this point, maybe I should then go directly to Newmar and ask them ? I don't want to go around the dealer. But, for this kind of an investment for me, I am not too worried about upsetting the dealer. I just want to make certain we can get this added at this point.
I'm a little surprised that you could not add the shower seat this far out, I'm pretty sure that your coach is not in bldg. 7 yet. I hope it's not just a case of a lazy dealer. The ability to schedule a factory delivery is dependent on how busy the service dept. is, not a function of how busy the factory is, so don't let the dealer wiggle out on that. I would not hesitate to communicate directly with Newmar, they are very good at dealing with owners.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:04 PM   #11
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Regarding the shower seat and factory delivery, I'd call your factory rep.

Never be afraid to ask for anything.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 04:35 PM   #12

Thanks guys for your input here. I am going to call Newmar on this and not even call the dealer. I can live without the shower seat, but, not without the factory delivery. I hope they will be in their offices tomorrow. My guess is they won't be in till Monday the 6th which is one week before its scheduled to be shipped to the dealer. My friend just told me if Newmar has an issue with scheduling the factory delivery in, that I should just be firm and tell them that I will take delivery when they can fit me in and not settle for the dealer delivery. Afterall, Newmar doesn't get paid until its delivered so Newmar will be wanting to get the factory delivery done as soon as possible.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:47 PM   #13

Jeffreys - congrats on your new coach and welcome to the Newmar family. We've taken factory delivery of our last 2 Newmars and would highly recommend it, even if you don't get a break from the dealer. The tech will patiently go over the coach with you and explain the coach systems in detail----he'll go over things that you won't find in the manuals. We lived in the coach for about 10 days and exercised all the systems, pulled in the slides, drove the coach down the road to shake up things and when something shook loose or moved out of adjustment, the tech quickly diagnosed the problem and fixed it. And finally, it's a big plus having quick access to parts should anything be needed.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:34 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Jeffreys --

Sincere congrats on your choice -- you will be very pleased with your decision. If at all possible, be sure to get to Nappanee as your coach is coming down the line in Building 7 so that you can see it being built. It is a one-of-a-kind experience that, if you can get there, you will definitely not want to miss. Michelle Howard in Sales will be able to tell you exactly the date on which your coach will start in Building 7.

The factory delivery involves the coach getting into the hands of a very well seasoned crew who will do the PDI prep on the coach with a really finely tuned work up. Their work up is usually at least two full weeks. My experience is that they go over the coach in infinitely more detail than the dealer -- no matter how well intentioned the dealer is. Newmar just does it better -- by a lot.

I know that this stuff is scheduled well in advance. Newmar may or may not be able to schedule this for you at this late date. But definitely find out. If you can do it, you will be very happy with the terrific PDI they do -- both to the coach in advance of you taking delivery and then for you as the customer when you are at Newmar to take delivery. It is absolutely worth the price IMO. I would never do it otherwise. And I speak as a former North Trail customer.

When we placed our order for our '13 DS 4018 with factory delivery, our dealer waived the full dealer retail PDI charge to us as we were paying that with our factory delivery. If they don't, the dealer gets a windfall with literally no dealer work on the coach involved. That being said, I don't think all dealers do this as the PDI is already in the retail price, but ours did. And fair is fair.

Not sure at all what North Trail would do at this date. The most they can say is no, in which event you can then decide what you want to do if Newmar will still make factory delivery available to you.

I think the advice given to discuss this with the Newmar rep is very good advice. He will be able to interface with both Newmar and the dealer and should have your best interest in the forefront as a retail customer.

Last thing -- you are correct that Newmar is shut down right now and no one will be there to speak to in Nappanee. Their holiday break goes till about January 6. Since 1/6 is a Monday, I would guess that 1/6 is the date on which production begins again. I was in the area this past week before New Year's Eve and it was quiet, calm, deserted. Lots of fun just to be there but no activity. Only one coach at Camp Newmar and only three coaches in the yard awaiting drivers for delivery. Come Monday that will certainly change.

Best of luck and be sure to post to our Forum what you find out. And be sure to plan to post pics of your coach when you get to see it "in person"!

Congratulations!!!

Deek
FMCA #363986 / 'Living the Dream' ... What an Incredible Hoot!
2020 Newmar Dutch Star 4369 / Freightliner with DriveTech / All Electric / NHSO
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote