Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2018, 10:57 PM   #1
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Factory Tour ??

I neglected to ask....does the factory tour require that you register/make reservations? Do they limit the number of people on each tour. We plan to do all six tours, Monday through Wednesday.

Verified today that we're Build 17 and our coach enters Building 7 on 10/08/18.

Into Chassis Weld 10/04/18
Into Building 7 10/08/18
Out of B7 10/11/18
CQI Release Date 10/26/18
Ship Date 10/31/18
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2018, 12:19 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have never registered, just showed up 15 minutes before to sign paperwork and get the radio.

Keep an eye on the dates, they can change as it gets closer. I would check a week before to see if the schedule remains the same. Often if it does vary, it is only by a day
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 01:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I neglected to ask....does the factory tour require that you register/make reservations? Do they limit the number of people on each tour. We plan to do all six tours, Monday through Wednesday.

Verified today that we're Build 17 and our coach enters Building 7 on 10/08/18.

Into Chassis Weld 10/04/18
Into Building 7 10/08/18
Out of B7 10/11/18
CQI Release Date 10/26/18
Ship Date 10/31/18
No registration. We were there for three days before Labor Day. We ended up doing five tours and they were all great. Most on a tour was 37 people. Although they say they don't usually do that many they really went out of their way to accommodate everyone. We were the only owners on the tour that day and they added a second tour guide. She essentially acted as our private guide which was pretty fun. Other days the tour was more reasonable - 10-15 people. You will enjoy it! We had the added bonus of meeting Boomer and his wife for a couple days.
Old 09-13-2018, 06:39 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
When we did one of the tours in early August, it was a sizable crowd and there was a shortage of radios and almost a shortage of safety glasses. It was a Monday morning, so maybe that contributed to the size. Make sure you get there early!

Bill
FMCA: F482061 | NKK: 22422
We_B_Tripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 06:45 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
The last time we took the tour was in mid-June of this year. No registration. Just show up 15 min before tour time. There were about 20 on our tour.

As you probably know, pictures are not allowed EXCEPT, if your coach is on the line, you can take photos of your own coach.

Be sure you send in your own photo ahead of time and they will post that on your coach as added inspiration to the build crew.
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 11:24 AM   #6

Have been taking factory tours since 1997. More then once we did both the 10AM and then 1PM tours in the same day. Have taken tours over 30 times in last 20 years. 10AM tour Newmar in full production but 1PM tour things are usually slowed down and you take a closer look at units. If one wants to see Newmar's being built might go to both tours. A couple years ago Mahlon Miller the owner of Newmar had his grandson with him and he gave us our factory tour plus the rich history of Nuwmar. 10 to 15 years ago Newmar factory tour went to 3 or 4 different areas to see cabinet and upholster shops.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 12:42 PM   #7
Administrator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaton View Post
The last time we took the tour was in mid-June of this year. No registration. Just show up 15 min before tour time. There were about 20 on our tour.

As you probably know, pictures are not allowed EXCEPT, if your coach is on the line, you can take photos of your own coach.

Be sure you send in your own photo ahead of time and they will post that on your coach as added inspiration to the build crew.
Here's a blast from 2007 when they allowed pics... Points to anyone who can name the tour guide... the youngster is mine.

rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 12:47 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks.....booked everything this morning (non-refundable) then decided I better check with the factory. DUH! They said they had some power outages, but my date was still good.....not my smartest move....but it worked out.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 01:21 PM   #9

One of the power outages happened just before we were there. A truck hit another factory's (non-Newmar) power distribution down the street and killed the power to the area. The whole place shut down for the day. Our coach was delayed by one day as a result. They said it takes about three weeks to normalize production after something like that. They apparently had another one as our coach was entering paint but not quite as bad.
Old 09-13-2018, 01:35 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Hi rebelsbeach,
Was the tour guides name Linda?
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 01:42 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Hi tom chelbana,
When you take the tour over 100 times let me know. I quit counting at 103 a few years ago. Just took both tours today. Service starts tomorrow for two emergency items.
Old 09-13-2018, 01:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Thanks.....booked everything this morning (non-refundable) then decided I better check with the factory. DUH! They said they had some power outages, but my date was still good.....not my smartest move....but it worked out.
Wait, what? non-refundable? As in you were charged money for the tour? When I took it in July it was free...
rayza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 02:10 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Some things I learned today.
1. Newmar is making 11 coaches a day as standard amount. Sometimes they go to 12 a day because of special circumstances.

2. 2019 models were announced to dealers the beginning of April. The entire 2019 model year capacity was sold by the end of April. So if you want a Newmar and the dealer tries to sell you a different model they may be out of allocation. You will need to find a dealer who has an allocation and willing to adjust it to what you want.

3. Three new tour leaders are on board. There is now a total of six tour leaders.

4. Dutch Star is still the leading brand. Ventana is second and closing on Dutch Star.

5. One can take pictures and get information about their coach only. This is why I did not announce my coming to CN and taking the tour. In the past if you had a coach on the line and I was here, I'd take pictures for you. Not any more.

6. At CN looks like there are 4 moochers in FHU sites. Over flow is almost full. Moochers are allowed in overflow for a variety to reasons. Best I can tell nobody with a service appointment needs to dry camp. I am in over flow.

7. If anybody else is here, post your site and I'll come visit. I am in site 109. Grey and red KSDP with a satellite dish on top. Like to have you come by.
Old 09-13-2018, 02:13 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Hi rayza,
The tour is free.